NHL has a problem - Lack/style of scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Does anyone at the NHL care about the quality of their product? The lack of scoring and the style of scoring should be a major concern for any league that is managed properly.

Let's take a look at Saturday's scores, you tell me if you see a problem.

Bruins- 3
Flyers-1

Predators- 3
Wild- 1

Pens- 2 OT
Habs- 1

Caps- 3
Wings- 1

Sens- 5
Yotes- 1

Rangers- 3
Sharks- 1

Flames- 1
Canucks- 0

In 7 out of the 11 games played the losing teams scored averaged less than one goal a game. I'm not sure who low scoring games appeal to, although I understand that there are plenty here that will defend them as "real" hockey. But in my opinion, the NHL has a serious problem with their game. Even in games where there is scoring, the vast majority of goals come on random deflections or rebounds.

I know this topic has been brought up from time to time here, but looking at the results of Saturdays games is somewhat shocking. Nearly 50% of NHL fans that sat down to watch their team play saw their team score only 1 goal or less. How can that be good for a sport?

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
This just in: the entertainment value of hockey is not determined by the score.

Film at 11.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I propose removing goalies and faceoffs after goals. Pucks go in, pucks come out, play resumes.

Erick*

I love it. It's real hockey.
If you want a lot of goals, watch the All-Star Game.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The game is focused on defense more than offense now. Nothing really you can change.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
lol, while the Blues score 20+ goals in 4 games, and the Kings give up 11 in 2.

Maybe the east coast should offense more?

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
7:5 games is not hockey, it is circus, it is like watching all star game 200 times a year, not sure why 3:2 hockey is bad??

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Replace puck with golf ball

I wasted my 20,000th post on this reply? lol

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I have a solution for this problem.

Remove the goalie and have 3 defenseman and 3 forwards on the ice.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
What about on Friday, tonnes of goals.

Islanders 3
Devils 2

Blue Jackets 2
Maple Leafs 5

Blackhawks 2
Oilers 5

Sabres 1
Lightning 2

Panthers 6
Flames 5

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's shocking to read some of these posts. I guess this is why Justin Bieber can have a music career or Papa John's can sell billions with an awful product.

People just don't know or understand what good is. As long as it's HOCKEY... HOORAY!!

BanditKeith99

Jul 8, 2013
Duelist Kingdom
Just because there was no goals doesn't mean it was a boring game...
For example, Habs vs Pens had tons of scoring chances , easily could have been more than 2-1

Laugh at "major concern"

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
They don't care at all, they care about money. If the money keeps coming the game will continue unmolested.

I don't pay to watch hockey on TV anymore, but I still go to games semi-regularly. Tickets bought on the secondary market at below value usually.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
It's shocking to read some of these posts. I guess this is why Justin Bieber can have a music career or Papa John's can sell billions with an awful product.

People just don't know or understand what good is. As long as it's HOCKEY... HOORAY!!

Do you want a 5-6 goal game every night?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
"Zero tolerance" on technical fouls could use some freshing up, but other than that, the game is fine, regardless of slight scoring trends. Pretty sure I say that both as a goalie and a fan of the game.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
To be honest the decline in fighting has had more of an effect on entertainment value to me than scoring.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

I would say that high-scoring games are much closer to being "Bieber pop songs" of sports, to keep casuals with short attention spans at bay, while low-scoring games require a bit more of an understanding of some of the finer arts in the sport. Weird to use that analogy the way you did.

You'd really need to elaborate your argument a little beyond "few goals = bad".

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
The low scores ain't my problem with the NHL as of today. It's the boring games. Dump, chase, obstruct, interfere, cycle cycle cycle cycle, point shot deflection rebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad