GDT: NHL Free Agency Meeting period

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Unless you're part of the ownership group, it's not your money... so stop pretending that spending on specifics hits home.

Maximizing futures is one of the things bad teams do. Taking bad contracts to gain futures is part of that. Last time I checked the standings, the Wings were one of the worst, so it makes sense for the Wings to take bad contracts right now.

Yzerman asked for patience. You're preaching the opposite.

No, I'm not. I'm saying that it's moronic to COMPLETELY WRITE OFF ANY UFA SIGNING before you see what is in the market. I'm not saying to go chase Duchene for max money or sign Jake Gardiner. But it would be beyond stupid to not look at the Ron Hainseys of the world on short term deals so you're not just saying "Filip and Dennis, you better be good or we'll be the worst team in the league". You can't run out a roster like Detroit did at the start of last season when four of their top D were all out with injuries. You can't run out an ECHL lineup like they did in the last month of the year.

And please tell me what team has had their future materially changed by "taking bad contracts to gain futures". Carolina taking Bickell to get Teraveinen is one. Carolina was also a surprise cinderella playoff team with no shot to win the Cup this year outside of the weird happening where all the top teams went out in sweeps early. Any other ones? 90% of the time the "extra assets" picked up by these bad contract deals are the picks that end up being Tomas Jurco or Gustav Lindstrom or Givani Smith.

And seriously? Of course it isn't my money. But for the sake of ease in discussion, I am assuming that with all of us here being Wings fans, we are kind of invested in what they do with their money. And I would like them to do things like find a Mike Green type who actually can help the players on the roster and in the system get better at hockey than taking someone else's mistake for a middling return. Patience isn't stockpiling assets and hoping to god that we get lucky come draft time. It is having patience that the moves that are made are ones that will eventually pay dividends. If on July 1, the Wings sign Jake Gardiner for like 5x6, that contract will be decried from the mountain tops as one of the worst things that anyone could ever do. But then you have people wanting to line up to take on around 5-6M a year in bad contracts so we can grab a couple extra second round picks that we will eventually go on to not sign. Tell me, what would be the material difference in signing an actual NHL defenseman who would likely be an upgrade for 5.5M or continually looking to take on other teams contracts at that level to maybe get an extra crack at a guy who's got a 35-50% chance of even hitting the ice at all, let alone in an effective capacity?

If there is a UFA piece that makes sense and can ease some of the pressure on the Filips and Cholo and whoever else, you can't ignore it. Be judicious with the checkbook, but don't stow the checkbook away or simply go ahead and take other teams literal crap. Teams get better by adding players who can help them on deals that make sense.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You can't run out a roster like Detroit did at the start of last season when four of their top D were all out with injuries.
Every team in the league would look like crap without their top 4 D. The Wings' problem is that they have injury prone old guys.

You can't run out an ECHL lineup like they did in the last month of the year.
You can if you're tanking. I watched the Caps and Pens play with D lineups that were even worse. That's how they got Ovechkin and Sid/Malkin.

Personally I hope they pick up a stop gap D. I don't want to see a complete dumpster fire on the back end.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I can see Yzerman going after Gardiner. It's pretty clear building up the D is a priority. Draper mentioned they're hoping Hronek, Seider, and Tuomisto will lock down the right side for a long time. Gardiner's 28 so if they bring him in on a 5-7 year deal, they'll have him until he's 33-35, which seems like a good fit timing-wise for where the Wings are in their rebuild. DeKeyser is signed through age 32. Then you have Cholowski or McIsaac take the third LD spot.

I wonder if Toronto would be intersted in Daley.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I can see Yzerman going after Gardiner. It's pretty clear building up the D is a priority. Draper mentioned they're hoping Hronek, Seider, and Tuomisto will lock down the right side for a long time. Gardiner's 28 so if they bring him in on a 5-7 year deal, they'll have him until he's 33-35, which seems like a good fit timing-wise for where the Wings are in their rebuild. DeKeyser is signed through age 32. Then you have Cholowski or McIsaac take the third LD spot.

I wonder if Toronto would be intersted in Daley.

Gardiner is a UFA, right? Are you saying that if we sign away Gardiner, we can deal Daley for some kind of pick?

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Gardiner is a UFA, right? Are you saying that if we sign away Gardiner, we can deal Daley for some kind of pick?
Yeah, I'm suggesting they could sign Gardiner as a UFA then trade Daley. Daley is from Toronto, FWIW.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Gardiner is going to be overpaid given the supply market for defense this free agency. And then to decide to come to a bottom five team early in it's rebuild means we're paying a lot more as if our offer was close he'd sign with the contender/better team.

What other teams need to trade players to open up cap space? Gimme a 2020 FRP for that bad contract. I'd have been all over that Marleau deal if Toronto had offered it to us first.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I was hoping and still hope that at least one of Ericsson or Daley is dealt before the season begins, and especially if Kronwall has to come back.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It may be difficult to trade Daley with his age and injuries.

I think that he could be moved out in the right situation

Like say a team hoping to be competitive and in the playoffs loses a top 4 D to a decently significant injury in preseason and needs a guy to cover the spot for 6-8 weeks and wants some vet insurance, he could be palatable to a team

Even something like Daley @ 50% retention + 6th/7th rounder for a 2nd/3rd rounder, if it came down to it

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
My feeling is that Daley may be traded at the deadline and possibly Green. Daley will 36 in October. Ericsson who knows with his hip issues could end up on LTIR. Speaking of Green has anyone heard anything on his health going into the season?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My feeling is that Daley may be traded at the deadline and possibly Green. Daley will 36 in October. Ericsson who knows with his hip issues could end up on LTIR. Speaking of Green has anyone heard anything on his health going into the season?

Can we even put him on LTIR? Zetterberg and Franzen are already using up what we have. I thought there was a limit to how much money can be used?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm still predicting the team will sign a vet top 4 D for at least 2 seasons, with the main motivation being depth in case they don't have all or a majority of Green, Daley, Ericsson or Kronwall (if he returns for one more year) after next season. As it stands, DeKeyser and Hronek are the only D under contract for 20-21, and Bowey is probably in the mix too. That leaves 4 spots open. I'd imagine Cholowski has locked one of them down by then, but I doubt they simply fill the other 3 with young guys. Signing 3 UFA dmen in one summer probably isn't the best plan, so they might look to get some of it taken care of a year early. Maybe Yzerman targets Stralman? If they sign a D and Kronwall returns, they're either going to have to trade a dman, or carry 8.

Otherwise, I'd hope that the main focus with UFA's is guys that can be signed up for a year and then moved at the deadline for draft picks, or trying to buy low on some unqualified RFA's that may still have some upside.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm still predicting the team will sign a vet top 4 D for at least 2 seasons, with the main motivation being depth in case they don't have all or a majority of Green, Daley, Ericsson or Kronwall (if he returns for one more year) after next season. As it stands, DeKeyser and Hronek are the only D under contract for 20-21, and Bowey is probably in the mix too. That leaves 4 spots open. I'd imagine Cholowski has locked one of them down by then, but I doubt they simply fill the other 3 with young guys. Signing 3 UFA dmen in one summer probably isn't the best plan, so they might look to get some of it taken care of a year early. Maybe Yzerman targets Stralman? If they sign a D and Kronwall returns, they're either going to have to trade a dman, or carry 8.

Otherwise, I'd hope that the main focus with UFA's is guys that can be signed up for a year and then moved at the deadline for draft picks, or trying to buy low on some unqualified RFA's that may still have some upside.

They could bring back Kronwall and Witkowski on 1 year deals, trade Daley for a pick/ pick upgrade

Dekeyser - Green
Kronwall - Hronek
Ericsson - Bowey

Kaski/ Witkowski will play a lot because I'm sure Kronwall, Ericsson, and Green will be in and out of the line up with injuries

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
I wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman reach out to Stralman. A 2 - 3 year deal between $4 - 5 million is something I could get behind.

The thing about getting a D this year is that we need to take the expansion draft into consideration. Assuming Detroit goes the route of 7F, 3D and a goalie, Cholowski and Hronek would need to be protected. That leaves us with one more spot between DDK, Bowey (assuming he does something to warrant it) or a FA signing.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I doubt SY meets with anyone

He may sign a depth dman but it will e the 10th best available dman

His focus should just be on the development camp

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd be surprised if we sign any D. We have a bunch of vets on one year deals, a handful of kids who will be pushing for spots, it seems ideally set up for a gradual turnover throughout the year from injuries and mid/late season trades to set up a much younger D corp to start the 20/21 season.

Depending on where some of the kids are slotted to start the year, maybe we sign a depth forward or two. I'm sure the wings will see if any of the top guys are interested, but I doubt we get a foot in the door.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I'd be surprised if we sign any D. We have a bunch of vets on one year deals, a handful of kids who will be pushing for spots, it seems ideally set up for a gradual turnover throughout the year from injuries and mid/late season trades to set up a much younger D corp to start the 20/21 season.
The D signed past this year are DeKeyser, Cholowski, Hronek, McIsaac, Lindstrom, McIlrath, and Lashoff. Bowey, Kaski, and Saarijarvi will be RFAs. Seider is at the very least a year away from the NHL. Plus, lots of the vets they have now already have injury problems. Is Green even going to be able to play?

They're going to need to add some vets at some point, hopefully guys on the younger side. I think Gardiner would be a good fit.

Last edited:

viggen

Mar 22, 2013
Carinthia
For what its worth, in Austrian newspaper it is reported that Vanek and Detroit are in talks for another year

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Anybody hear anything regarding Kronwall lately? His decision and Steve's decision will ultimately play a big role.

It will play little role. Kronwall is being given as much time as necessary. Kronner, if he comes back, will come back for a price that is reasonable for a year. The Wings aren't likely to go hog wild in FA, but Kronner's decision wouldn't be holding up any contract if it were. If he's coming back, it's a farewell tour to get to 1000 games and fly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad