NHL Films?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by edog37, Jan 11, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. edog37

edog37 Registered User

2. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

NHL has been self producing a number of original series that have aired on the NHL Network. Voices, Captains, Off the Ice, Pioneers -- to name a few.

I doubt there will be any changes/additions this season (budgets already set, personnel in place, etc.), but next season could see more things such as what NFL Films produces.

3. Mayor Bee

Mayor Bee Registered User

This is one of the advantages that the NFL has had for close to 50 years. Not only did the league grant unprecedented access for the NFL Films crews, but they also promoted the hell out of it, so an entire generation grew up watching slow-motion fullback traps set to booming orchestral music with John Facenda weaving a story. While millions of American kids were doing this and becoming football fans at an early age, Harold Ballard was keeping the TV lights off at Maple Leaf Gardens.

4. edog37

edog37 Registered User

one can only hope. 24/7 was a real shot in the arm.....

5. BigT2002

BigT2002 Registered User

Werd. Wasn't there another thing back in the day for the NFL? Inside the NFL or something where they had the coaches and stuff all mic'd up and you could listen to their antics?

6. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Given the success of HBO's documentary series on the NHL, I could see this being a potential area that the NHL would look to expand into and I think it would be quite successful.

7. BigT2002

BigT2002 Registered User

I agree so long as they actually put some production value for it. If they halfass it (kind of like this Guardian thing) I'm not so sure...

8. PhillyPhinn

PhillyPhinn Registered User

NFL Films is awesome. I knew nothing about football and the NFL before I started watching it five years ago, but thanks to NFL films, i know 10x more about NFL history than I do about NHL history.

Their series "America's Game", where they do an episode about every Super Bowl champion team is absolutely awesome, and I've probably seen every episode at least five times by now.

9. mucker*

mucker* Guest

NFL Films, rules.

10. Doc Scurlock

Doc Scurlock Registered User

NFL Films is awesome. Why? My girlfriend doesn't care about football, yet watched every episode of America's Game with me plus now watches other NFL films stuff on the NFL network. Doesn't watch games as they're boring to her. Baby steps, in time that might change. Those guys truly do an awesome job of selling the game and making it feel more epic than it really is.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Registered User

I dislike the NFL but NFL Films is truly enjoyable to watch. I would love NHL and MLS Films........

12. captainpaxil

captainpaxil Registered User

the guys at nfl films understand that the drama and history of the game are part of its major selling points. the success of last years history will be made clips were all stone rip offs of this model and it just goes to show how awesome the nhl could be if they would just learn how to sell the thing right