Speculation: NHL expansion to come in 2017?

Nikolai Koolaidman

Mar 7, 2014
Man hopefully the league doesn't get watered down. I am glad the islanders are young and coming out of rebuild and has new owners so we can retain some of those players when they hit free agency. Those new teams are going to be poaching players for ridiculous prices and having all of the early draft picks. Good luck trying to rebuild or sign players when these teams are in their early days.

BroadwayJay*

I'd be more worried about the expansion draft.

That would be the one time I'd be happy if Boulton, Carkner, and Strait are still on the roster.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I'm not getting worked up about a hockey story by SI, let alone one that is based off of a tweet by some guy none of us have ever heard of, who has less than 7k followers and runs a website we've never heard of. Insane how much the hockey world has reacted to this.

That said, I could see an expansion to 32 teams by adding a Vegas and Seattle, just based off current league alignment. But it's absolutely ridiculous to expand into the largest league in American sports. Let that sink in. Never going to happen.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
I saw a similar article elsewhere today, my first thought was that the schedule template would have to change again - and then I remembered the expansion draft...

Are there existing rules for the expansion draft or do they re-write them every time depending on the circumstances?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd be more worried about the expansion draft.

That would be the one time I'd be happy if Boulton, Carkner, and Strait are still on the roster.

agreed...

as of now we would be in good shape but when our team is packed with all our young talent, someone important is bound to be left unprotected.

Would be great if it were this year and we could get out of Baileys contract and open a spot for Lee...Would be a bonus if a team was dumb enough to take Carkner.

BroadwayJay*

agreed...

as of now we would be in good shape but when our team is packed with all our young talent, someone important is bound to be left unprotected.

Would be great if it were this year and we could get out of Baileys contract and open a spot for Lee...Would be a bonus if a team was dumb enough to take Carkner.

I don't think Bailey has a bad contract. 3.3m for a 0.5ppg player is nothing to sneeze at. cf In re: Contract of David Clarkson.

(cf is a shorthand for "compare")

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not getting worked up about a hockey story by SI, let alone one that is based off of a tweet by some guy none of us have ever heard of, who has less than 7k followers and runs a website we've never heard of. Insane how much the hockey world has reacted to this.

That said, I could see an expansion to 32 teams by adding a Vegas and Seattle, just based off current league alignment. But it's absolutely ridiculous to expand into the largest league in American sports. Let that sink in. Never going to happen.

But it is the only one with a strong presence in Canada. The NHL does have the largest current footprint of any North American league. And I'd be surprised if an expansion does not include Quebec City.

BroadwayJay*

But it is the only one with a strong presence in Canada. The NHL does have the largest current footprint of any North American league. And I'd be surprised if an expansion does not include Quebec City.

Same here, Quebec City has doubled in population since the Nordiques bid the league adieu for rockier pastures. Never should have left, and makes even more sense to bring them back; especially with the new TVA broadcasting deal.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Same here, Quebec City has doubled in population since the Nordiques bid the league adieu for rockier pastures. Never should have left, and makes even more sense to bring them back; especially with the new TVA broadcasting deal.

Unlike Winnipeg, where there were sellouts every night, oddly enough, Quebec did not support their team like Wniipeg did.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Man hopefully the league doesn't get watered down. I am glad the islanders are young and coming out of rebuild and has new owners so we can retain some of those players when they hit free agency. Those new teams are going to be poaching players for ridiculous prices and having all of the early draft picks. Good luck trying to rebuild or sign players when these teams are in their early days.

I've seen research on baseball suggesting expansion doesn't lead to any long-term watering down affect. Not sure how NHL would differ though, since unlike in hockey MLB teams can sign talent that was never eligible for the draft, meaning each new MLB team spending resources on unearthing talent could actually be increasing the talent pool.

I still hold a grudge that the Thrashers' expansion led to us missing out on Kovalchuk. Milbury supposedly loved Kovalchuk and would have definitely kept that pick.

Last edited:

BroadwayJay*

I've seen research on baseball suggesting expansion doesn't lead to any long-term watering down affect. Not sure how NHL would differ though, since unlike in hockey MLB teams can sign talent that was never eligible for the draft, meaning each new MLB team spending resources on unearthing talent could actually be increasing the talent pool.

I still hold a grudge that the Trashers' expansion led to us missing out on Kovalchuk. Milbury supposedly loved Kovalchuk and would have definitely kept that pick.

I just can't imagine Mike Milbury doing something smart though, can you?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

The NFL has 32 teams. And even if it didn't, having 2 more teams than the other major leagues wouldn't really be that big of a deal, especially when you consider the benefits of it allowing the conferences/divisions to have an even number of teams and fix it so that only half the league makes the playoffs.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't think Bailey has a bad contract. 3.3m for a 0.5ppg player is nothing to sneeze at. cf In re: Contract of David Clarkson.

(cf is a shorthand for "compare")

Im more or less talkimg about the length. It also opens a spkt for Lee. I actually like Bailey and think hes a solid top 9 forward.

VT Isles Fan

Mar 24, 2010
Vermont
Unlike Winnipeg, where there were sellouts every night, oddly enough, Quebec did not support their team like Wniipeg did.

The problem in Quebec wasn't the fans, who definitely supported the team and had sell outs or near sell outs every night. The issue with Quebec was the business community was not willing to step up when Marcel Aubut wanted to sell the team.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

I was just up in Quebec and everyone I spoke to was gushing about how they would love to have their team back. I asked them who they root for now, and apparently they still hate the Habs, instead they've become Bruins fans. The enemy of my enemy is my friend I guess. LOL

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
goofiness aside, $540M wouldn't be a bad investment to get the first pro team in vegas...

And if the NHL is looking to move to 4 new cities I highly doubt they are looking to create 4 new teams. Which teams would be most likely to relocate? PHX, FLA, NYI?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Not sure where you got Ottawa from but I admit I thought similarly when I read the expansion news... If the 2 new guys cut a backroom deal with the NHL and can move the team to Vegas or Seattle if Brooklyn fails it would explain why they overpaid

Except that rumors suggest the league wants to expand into these cities, not relocate already existing franchises.

Last edited:

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
The league has denied this since it was leaked: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...am_could_be_on_its_way_to_toronto_report.html

Although, that could be them just covering up something that got leaked before they were ready.

My gut says adding 4 teams would be ridiculous, and bad for the league.

I hope they're actually denying it. Vegas would be a disaster in the NHL. Worse than what's going on in Arizona right now, and that's saying something. The ideal situation would be expansion to Seattle and Portland. Both cities who have been clamoring for an NHL team.

As much as I want Quebec to have a team, I don't think it can happen unless a team like Florida relocates. You'd probably want to even out the conferences and Seattle and Portland definitely fit the mold for a 16/16 alignment.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
goofiness aside, $540M wouldn't be a bad investment to get the first pro team in vegas...

And if the NHL is looking to move to 4 new cities I highly doubt they are looking to create 4 new teams. Which teams would be most likely to relocate? PHX, FLA, NYI?

I think the NHL has 2 expansions and 2 moves. But I'm not sure who'd move. FLA ownership came out and said they're not moving. Isles moving to Barclays. Phoenix owners saying they're not moving (and we all know how hard the NHL fought to kept them there). I don't see any other team that's on the verge of moving. Nashville was years ago, but their fans actually saved their frachise with ticket drives and stuff (and BIG kudos to them).

I think the NHL wants Seattle and Vegas. Those would probably make the most amount of sense.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Agreed 100%.

The NFL is currently happy at 32-and believe me they could expand a lot easier than the NHL if they wanted to (they're not even in the 2nd largest market in the nation!!!).

I hope they're actually denying it. Vegas would be a disaster in the NHL. Worse than what's going on in Arizona right now, and that's saying something. The ideal situation would be expansion to Seattle and Portland. Both cities who have been clamoring for an NHL team.

As much as I want Quebec to have a team, I don't think it can happen unless a team like Florida relocates. You'd probably want to even out the conferences and Seattle and Portland definitely fit the mold for a 16/16 alignment.

Out of curiosity why do you think that Vegas would be a failure? I think it would actually be a huge success.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

Of course they want 4 new ones. Think like an owner - do you want to get 2 shares of expansion fees or 4 shares of expansion fees?

If you have 2 struggling but surviving markets, you don't move them to places where you can extract a few hundred million in expansion fees. You get nothing for a move.

Think like an owner...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad