Post-Game Talk: NHL Expansion Draft and Awards Show - Bruins lose Colin Miller - Bergeron Wins Selke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babajingo

First time posting. Been reading the boards for a while.

Even if they protected C. Miller and made K. Miller unprotected, I'm sure Vegas wouldn't have picked either because of their age/injury/money. Just my thoughts.

I just hate losing speed. Like it or not, that's what this game is turning into.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

Even if they protected C. Miller and made K. Miller unprotected, I'm sure Vegas wouldn't have picked either because of their age/injury/money. Just my thoughts.

I just hate losing speed. Like it or not, that's what this game is turning into.

Who would Vegas have taken then? Subban? Beleskey/Hayes?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
That actually looks pretty good. Not ideal, but not bad at all.

You got your two PP D in Krug and McAvoy

Your 4 PK D in Chara/McQuaid/Kevan/Carlo.

Balance out the ice-time Pittsburgh style, having each pair in the 19-22 min range on average.

So we have a Pittsburgh style defense, minus the Pittsburgh style offense.

Call me crazy, but I don't think our team has the offensive depth that Pittsburgh does.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Chara-Carlo
Miller-McAvoy
Krug-McQuaid.

With no deals or injuries, book it for opening night.

As it stands now, you are probably bang on.

Personally, I don't like Miller on his off-side. It's all right in a pinch. Worst fault is they'd probably end up moving McAvoy from his natural side due to his far superior puck skills and dynamic skating ability. In an ideal world you get him a veteran LD partner that he can play and grow with for the next 3-4 years. Set him up to succeed like they did with Carlo and Chara.

It's still represents the same problems they have faced in the past with 4 of 6 defenseman limited in their transition ability. We hear the same stuff every year in the off-season about tempo and pace, but the makeup of the roster never seems to change...

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Chara-Carlo
Miller-McAvoy
Krug-McQuaid.

With no deals or injuries, book it for opening night.

Put Scandella/Brodin in Miller's spot and that could be quite decent group. I believe Minny would still like to deal at least one of them to appease cap gods.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So we have a Pittsburgh style defense, minus the Pittsburgh style offense.

Call me crazy, but I don't think our team has the offensive depth that Pittsburgh does.

Never said it was a Pittsburgh style D, just you could balance out the 5 on 5 ice-time among the 3 pairs rather than relying heavily on defined Top 4/Bottom 2 set-up where the ice-time for the 3rd pair is reduced and match-ups more sheltered.

No they don't have Pittsburgh's offensive depth.

They also allowed significantly less goals than Pittsburgh last year, all behind a supposedly weaker D group than Boston projected to have next year.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
So much talk for a spare parts dman. Geez.

Overall, this isn't a big deal. Long term and over the course of a series of similar, questionable roster/team management decisions, the teams left with bad contracts, or multi million dollar players sitting in the pressbox.

Factor in the deadweight of Belesky and Hayes sitting in the pressbox on forwards. And the real likelyhood of one of McQuaid or K. Miller sitting on a healthy defense on a regular bases. That's about 10 million of cap space eating hors d'oeuvres in the press box.

Again, it's not this move alone. But it's the overall decisions and contracts that we've accumulated. Those bad contracts wouldn't be too horrible if we had a better team in front of them.

Sweeney really needs his picks to be homeruns at this point, because the a majority of the player's he's acquired have been disappointing at best. If his picks don't work out, this team screams mediocre or worse in the near future. Add in some questionable player choices (Hayes over letting Connolly walk, K. Miller over C. Miller), we stay older and have larger contracts. Sitting a guy making a million in the pressbox hurts a lot less than benching one of making a couple million. Again, each move in a vacuum, not a big deal. It's when they do it on multiple facets of this team.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Welcome to the board !

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Who would Vegas have taken then? Subban? Beleskey/Hayes?

Personally. I would have been happy if Vegas just took any salary off of us.

My choices to go would have been Belesky, Hayes, McQuaid, K. Miller in that order. That would have freed up some cap space for us.

I think C. Miller or Subban were the targets all long (if I were Vegas at least). So it's all moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad