GDT: NHL Entry Draft | Day 2

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I personally would have gone for more homerun swings, but at least they got 1 player like Lockhart.

Bad analogy but it feels better having Lotto Max tickets in your pocket rather than a bunch of half cleared 'promising' scratch and wins.

I do understand though that there are players on the other side of the spectrum that have a great d-2 season and that regress in their d-1 and onward. A guy like Raty would have been a top draft pick this year for example.
Raty was just plain bad this year with plenty of opportunity given to him. I think we did take a fair few home run swings.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Raty was just plain bad this year with plenty of opportunity given to him. I think we did take a fair few home run swings.

Yup. I wasn't using him as an example of a player I would have picked. Opposite really. He is a case of why picking OHL players who didn't get to play this year would be risky as well.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Would have liked to see Jack Bar and Oscar Plandowski (both 2-way RD) as our picks in the 5th. Both went shortly after we picked.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Seeing Cole Jordan go 1 pick after us to Calgary was painful. That said I really liked the Klimovich (would've taken Stank personally), Lockhart, Forsell, and Koskenvuo picks.

Would've been nice to have a 3rd/4th with some of the silliness that happened, but I'm happy with what they did with the picks they had.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
And now our USHL/College drafting sucks. Gee, I wonder why? :sarcasm:

Considering we got Lockwood, Madden, Gaudette, Rathbone from the lower rounds to play actual NHL games.

When's the last time a later rounds Euro played NHL games for the Canucks?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Considering we got Lockwood, Madden, Gaudette, Rathbone from the lower rounds to play actual NHL games.

Based on what? 1 draft where the USHL was the only league in NA playing?

Reactions: SantosLHalpar

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Notice how the USA guys are drying up now Brackett is in Minni?
We literally took two guys last draft. IDK how anyone considers 1 year of no USHL guys drying up solely because of Brackett. Also Brackett was our US East scout and had a big seat at the table of course there would be more US picks when your top scout operates in that region .......

Reactions: SantosLHalpar

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So how does our prospect list shake out now with these new kids?

I rank prospects based on asset value, and the only guys I have with value above a 3rd rounder are:

Podkolzin - mid 1st
Rathbone - late 1st
DiPietro - 2nd
Klimovich - 2nd

I guess Woo (3rd) would be next to round out the top 5.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Considering that most late round picks never make the league and are drafted out of places other than Europe, do you really think this would be indicative of anything?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
you were implying it was a bad strategy or just being sarcastic?

Gourde Johnson Panarin Krug Marchessault Whitecloud Pionk B.Tanev Ruuta Giordano Bozak Goodrow Dillon A.Greene Iafallo Kampny Vatrano were all undrafted as well as the aforementioned Canuck one's

Is that your criteria for a good free agent signing...that assets must be recovered before they part the organization? Stecher had a journeyman year and nothing close to fantastic. Otherwise, Detroit would have protected him or Seattle would have drafted him.

There's nothing wrong with finding undrafted FAs, but when you're signing guys who are already 23/24/25 your chances of finding NHLers is extremely slim. A lot of these success stories are playing 1-2 years of college, coming out at 20/21 and then entering an NHL system.

I think it's better to target younger undrafted UFAs, whether CHL or NCAA, in general, and to not treat 24 year old NCAA UFAs as "free picks" like they could replace the value of picks that were traded away.

Regarding criteria for a good free agent signing, my criticism is solely focused on the value chain dying on the vine. We find a few good players like Stetcher and Tanev, they provide some nice value and turn into an asset for us, and then we let them walk for absolutely nothing and can't carry any value forward. It's a longstanding trend with this organization that has bled them dry.

The fact Tampa has 2 picks before the Canucks have 2 in this draft is unbelievable.

Montreal, in the finals, came into the draft with 10 picks.
Vegas and NYI, both semi-finalists, also had 6 picks, both with higher pick value than Vancouvers.

Really, truly feels bad.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
In the past, did we not have separate threads for each pick, or am I imagining things? Are we running out of interest/enthusiasm as the Benning years wear on?

Reactions: clay

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I rank prospects based on asset value, and the only guys I have with value above a 3rd rounder are:

Podkolzin - mid 1st
Rathbone - late 1st
DiPietro - 2nd
Klimovich - 2nd

I guess Woo (3rd) would be next to round out the top 5.

Those all feel high to me.

I would trade Podkolzin for a mid 1st in a heartbeat.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think with Logan mailloux being selected tells me nhl teams might still be interested in virtanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad