GDT: NHL Entry Draft Day 2, 6/22 1:00PM (NBCSN, NHL-N)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Everything botterill does seems to be reactionary and without proof of ANY ****ing plan of attack whatsoever.

At least we have Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart and Tage to build upon...
Eh, Bakes saw this pick (Goalie at #67) coming this morning and predicted who we would possibly take. That’s before the run on goalies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Eh, Bakes saw this pick (Goalie at #67) coming this morning and predicted who we would possibly take. That’s before the run on goalies.
Baker liked the pick at 122, and threw a floating caveat about viability in the third just to be a good guy and a team player

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Lede being buried by this tweet: there was virtually no way in hell he wouldn't have been available in the 4th round, and very likely the 5th or 6th as well. Also remember: taking a goalie in the 3rd round = NFL team taking a kicker in the 3rd round. Unless you end up with an all star level guy it's a terrible idea.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Carolina continues to make good value picks.

One of the many reasons why they just ended their playoff drought, and we're picking top 5.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We got Girgensons, Samuelsson and Johansson.

But we still have Girgensons, Samuelsson and Johansson.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Lede being buried by this tweet: there was virtually no way in hell he wouldn't have been available in the 4th round, and very likely the 5th or 6th as well. Also remember: taking a goalie in the 3rd round = NFL team taking a kicker in the 3rd round. Unless you end up with an all star level guy it's a terrible idea.

Recall the slamming of Botterill 2 years ago after taking some kid named Oskari Laaksonen in the 3rd round. Pretty much no one had ANY idea who he was, how tall he was or how much he weighed. Completely, totally off the board pick and HFboards hated him for it.

Oops.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
It's fine... my job doesn't depend on how the sabres do.

Colorado is looking more attractive than Vancouver as a backup currently, double if Chia ends up there

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Recall the slamming of Botterill 2 years ago after taking some kid named Oskari Laaksonen in the 3rd round. Pretty much no one had ANY idea who he was, how tall he was or how much he weighed. Completely, totally off the board pick and HFboards hated him for it.

Oops.

Yet he still has proven nothing. Let’s wait until they make the team before declaring them home runs.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Oops.

I'll wait until he's here in Roch or Buf before I take that victory lap.

Reactions: sabremike

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Fensore is my favorite under the radar guy from that team. Zegras called him the best skater on the team

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
My point is: It takes a couple of years to really know what we get in any draft.

The unyielding slamming of Botts over kids that won't be Sabres for 3 years (give or take) is highly curious to me.

Same goes for folks complimenting his draft skills. That’s all I’m saying. Can’t have it both ways.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Oops.
And I'll respond to this by pointing out if the guy was a non entity nobody else was going to draft then taking Laaksonen in the 3rd instead of the 5th was still bad asset management. Also Laaksonen was not a goalie (a position you should almost never use a high pick on).

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
And I'll respond to this by pointing out if the guy was a non entity nobody else was going to draft then taking Laaksonen in the 3rd instead of the 5th was still bad asset management. Also Laaksonen was not a goalie (a position you should almost never use a high pick on).
Third rounders aren’t high picks in hockey

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

A 3rd pick is decidedly not a "high pick" to me. That's square in the middle rounds, where NHL teams start to see LARGE variances in lists. I'm sure Portillo was far lower on some teams boards. But I'd also be amazed if we were the only team to rate him so highly.

Once the draft gets into this area, it's truly a crapshoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad