GDT: NHL Entry Draft 6/21 8:00PM, 6/22 1:00PM (NBCSN, NHL-N)

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I think I’ll wait and see how the kid turns out before I label it as “indefensible” I’m not a professional scout, sure I liked other players better, but I also know better

Yeah, good point. This kid is a very good skater, but he has virtually zero offensive upside. I suppose he could develop some offense because he's still only 17.

I'm upset by this pick for the same reason I defended the Cozens pick: production. It's not there. ("If he's such a good hitter, how come he doesn't hit good?") However, he's extremely young, and he can skate. So...I guess we'll see in 4 or 5 years.

At least it gives us another college player to watch.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
To us. To everyone else cozens was ahead of Zegras. While some others were rated ahead of Johnson
Everyone else? Yeah I don't agree with that. Plenty of people had Zegras ranked as the better prospect. As Chain said Johnson is the kind of guy that falls to you in the end of the 2nd round and you take because you like his tools. He was overdrafted, doesn't mean he or Cozens are busts.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
As Chain said Johnson is the kind of guy that falls to you in the end of the 2nd round and you take because you like his tools. He was overdrafted, doesn't mean he or Cozens are busts.

Not even by that much. Plenty of places had Johnson right around 30. Even Pronman, who had him at 41, said that his ranking was likely too low -- as many people he talked to said he could sneak in to the bottom of the first.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Even though I did defend the Cozens pick, I do think Zegras was the better overall talent. The decision making is key here, so like Jame pointed out...it's apples and oranges. I think what Botterill might see, is that we got pushed around quite a bit, and when you add speed, and the size, with the skill that Cozens has, it gives you a polarizing talent. Cozens could easily be as good as others in this class. So we'll see. Again, I prefer Zegras, and I think he's the better pick, but I don't hate Cozens. Just like Turcotte, who was so close, but so far.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Not even by that much. Plenty of places had Johnson right around 30. Even Pronman, who had him at 41, said that his ranking was likely too low -- as many people he talked to said he could sneak in to the bottom of the first.
Yeah a lot of people were higher on him than I personally was. A lot of that stemmed from all the talent we have in the system on the left side. Maybe my opinion changes a bit if a guy like McCabe is sent packing.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The thing is that the reason this was a mistake is because our forward depth is really really bad and absolutely needed to be addressed. We lucked into a situation where several real good forward prospects most people thought wouldn't be available at that spot ended up being available, and we went off the board to pass on all of them. Everything played out perfect and we tossed away that good fortune.

This is what I was going for when I said "indefensible" earlier - very well said.

Reactions: sabremike

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I hope they can find a way to move up into the second round, there is so much talent there. I agree with Sabremike who said that our forward depth is WEAK! I was so thrilled with an excellent chance to improve that, and instead its a defensemen. Yes, I do agree that you can never have too much defensive depth, but you should have been able to move down, unless EVERYONE at the top of next round wouldn't budge.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I hope they can find a way to move up into the second round, there is so much talent there. I agree with Sabremike who said that our forward depth is WEAK! I was so thrilled with an excellent chance to improve that, and instead its a defensemen. Yes, I do agree that you can never have too much defensive depth, but you should have been able to move down, unless EVERYONE at the top of next round wouldn't budge.
More people need to listen to me as I'm friends with some of the biggest names in the entire sport:
20181020_124048.jpg

20190105_205733.jpg

20190212_182208.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad