GDT: NHL Entry Draft 6/21 8:00PM, 6/22 1:00PM (NBCSN, NHL-N)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Botts drafting is about the only thing I dont hate about him. He got good value out of his 2 picks once again.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Button's low opinion of Cozens worries me because he was so accurate on Virtanen, he didn't even rank Virtanen in the 1st, at least he had Cozens at 14th. The Black Book analysis of him is terrible for a 7th overall.

Prove 'em wrong Yukon Kid!

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Bakes has never watched a prospect he didn’t like. He always says the Sabres made a good choice after every pick, all through the years where they were actually making less-than-good choices, so I don’t put much stock in his takes.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Nylander was a Murray pick.

Shouldn’t be lumped in with Botts’ drafts in evaluating the Sabres’ thinking.

Why not, despondent poster was talking about this being a problem with the Sabres since Pegula bought the team.

Reactions: Paxon

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I doubt they make it out of the second round. I would imagine that teams are reassessing there do not draft lists this morning and are rationalizing themselves into what they hate about Kaiyev not being that bad or that Brinks’ skating is not a cause for concern.

Let's be honest, unless the kid has a tattoo that says Meth Life, do not draft lists really mean: do not draft in first round.

Reactions: Chainshot

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Scott Wheeler of The Athletic has the Sabres as one of the top winner's in the first round:

Wheeler: Ranking the 2019 NHL Draft's first-round winners...

Buffalo Sabres
If Alex Turcotte was the first real prize of the first round, Dylan Cozens was a close runner-up. He was one of the three players I debated as the No. 3 prospect in the draft in the back half of the season (alongside Turcotte and Bowen Byram). His ability to play out wide with his speed and length — while still having the presence of mind to make a lot of high-end plays in transition or off the cycle — should make him an excellent top-six centre and impact forward. He’s the perfect fit for the Sabres too, in that they desperately need a 2C to play behind Jack Eichel and he and Casey Mittelstadt can now challenge each other for those minutes. The Sabres did well.

Though I’m a little lower on the Ryan Johnson pick (I felt like he was a late second-rounder instead of a first-rounder), he’s an impressive two-way defenceman who really came into his own offensively in the last third of the season and will have the benefit of time to continue to progress at the University of Minnesota. He won’t wow you, but he can really skate and get the puck moving in transition to avoid spending time in his own zone.

Reactions: Chainshot

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Great to be a winner, I remember all the offseasons the Bills won. Leading to all their super bowls.

Also saying a team that drafts a late second rounder in the first round, is really weird.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
For everyone who is upset they didn't take a home run swing; isn't that exactly what Cozens represents?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Great to be a winner, I remember all the offseasons the Bills won. Leading to all their super bowls.

Also saying a team that drafts a late second rounder in the first round, is really weird.

Legit makes no sense how he has us as a winner, if we took a guy he had rated in the late 2nd in the first round...but okay

Very few people had Johnson had as a late second rounder.

Reactions: Dingo44

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
For everyone who is upset they didn't take a home run swing; isn't that exactly what Cozens represents?
Not really. Cozens has the tools and work ethic that should allow him to play in the NHL, but maybe not the skill to be a top player. I see him as a super high floor, moderate ceiling. As opposed to someone like Caufield or Zegras with a pretty high ceiling, but a much lower floor than cozens.

I don't want to jynx it, but I think he has one of the lowest chances of busting

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Button's low opinion of Cozens worries me because he was so accurate on Virtanen, he didn't even rank Virtanen in the 1st, at least he had Cozens at 14th. The Black Book analysis of him is terrible for a 7th overall.

Prove 'em wrong Yukon Kid!

Black book had Ryan Johnson at #20. So you must love that pick then.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Wait wasn't the book on Cozens "low cealing/high floor"?

Not really. Cozens has the tools and work ethic that should allow him to play in the NHL, but maybe not the skill to be a top player. I see him as a super high floor, moderate ceiling. As opposed to someone like Caufield or Zegras with a pretty high ceiling, but a much lower floor than cozens.

I don't want to jynx it, but I think he has one of the lowest chances of busting

High floor low ceiling for a guy universally in the top 10? That's just lazy reporting shorthand for: "We don't know how he'll translate."

If he puts it together with that frame, the skys the limit. If it doesn't translate he'll flame out.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
High floor low ceiling for a guy universally in the top 10? That's just lazy reporting shorthand for: "We don't know how he'll translate."

If he puts it together with that frame, the skys the limit. If it doesn't translate he'll flame out.
Why ask if your mind is made up?

I gave reasons for high floor, "low" ceiling, and you say i'm wrong based on size and draft position?

I might be wrong, but not based on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad