Speculation: NHL Entry Draft 2016 Pt 1: Exceptional Musical Chairs

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Given that euros don't have to deal with the stupid CHL to AHL rules, get paid a lot, have better travel/training, don't have to deal with archaic NCAA rules etc... why don't more players do this? Why don't more euro teams try and steal away big time prospects more often? Is there something that prohibits Canadian players from doing this?

Pros:
- Get paid like a pro
- Live and train like a pro
- Travel like a pro
- Exposure to the pro lifestyle
- Easier path to NHL
- Terrific travel experience/exposure to other cultures

Cons:
- Far away from home, but that's a reality players will eventually be exposed to eventually anyways. Good experience.

I imagine some european fans will become fans of Matthews and then follow him wherever he ends up. Marketing plus for the teams (both ways) and the leagues.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They've got strict import rules in most Euro leagues, and wasting an import spot on a teenager in the top league is really only ever going to be worthwhile with Top 5 NHL draft pick caliber players. So the pool to choose from is fairly limited.

Also, I suspect at least one of the Auston's parents will be accompanying him to Zurich. I would suppose that his family has the means to put life on hold for a year and zip off to Zurich. That's not plausible for most families. This further shrinks candidates.

Then there is the fact that most of these kids are from traditional markets and grew up envisioning themselves on the traditional path. If you grew up in Dub country, you probably always wanted to play in the Dub. If you grew up in Gophers or Badgers or Wolverines country, then you have had your heart set. I think Auston being from Scottsdale really played a big part in this decision. He probably didn't grow up dreaming of being a Denver Pioneer, and had probably never heard of Everett Washington until he was a teenager. His horizons were always broad and it makes sense he hadn't narrowed his thought process to the traditional route, given his non-traditional background.

indczn

May 28, 2008
Good for Matthews. It looks like there is a very narrow window as to age range where this can happen since he can't get his work permit to start until he's 18, so roughly sept 16th to whenever the euro leagues start camp. I hope it works out for him.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Then there is the fact that most of these kids are from traditional markets and grew up envisioning themselves on the traditional path. If you grew up in Dub country, you probably always wanted to play in the Dub. If you grew up in Gophers or Badgers or Wolverines country, then you have had your heart set. I think Auston being from Scottsdale really played a big part in this decision. He probably didn't grow up dreaming of being a Denver Pioneer, and had probably never heard of Everett Washington until he was a teenager. His horizons were always broad and it makes sense he hadn't narrowed his thought process to the traditional route, given his non-traditional background.
This is all true, but come on ... how could he not be excited about the 22 hour bus ride from Everett to Brandon, MB? With scenic Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Swift Current, Moose Jaw and Regina along the way?

Disappointed I won't get to see him in Everett this season, but a very interesting choice and one that I hope turns out well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad