GDT: NHL Draft Part III - Now With Foreigners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I would sign Joel Ward and MSL to multi-year deals before I would trade Olli Maatta for Phil Kessel and not lose a second of sleep, knowing positively that I'd made the right choice. The Leafs could add Gardiner and I still wouldn't do it.

Hopefully someone on the Penguins sees it that way, though it won't be JR, who has made the mistake of trading a S.T.U.D. STUD 20 year old defenseman for a scoring wing before. By the time of Pronger's MVP, all the Canes had to show for it was Brind'Amour...fine player, but not worth a potential franchise D.

Having said that, with two drafts spent on forwards and another high pick on a guy that looks an awful lot like he has an overlapping skillset with Kapanen, it's possible I'd budge off considering Kap untradeable. Still unlikely.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
If we were going to trade Maatta we should take other offers see what Edmonton and Detroit would give up

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
WTF that 45 minute drive took you 2 1/2 hours!!!

I made a post or two in between.

Nothing new to say, really. I think the Pens have a lot to discuss internally. I think they're going to sleep on it.

They want to have their big moves done by Wednesday. They want to know what they have to do with Martin. That's their deadline. But there are some tough decisions to be made, and they'll have to make them soon.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Nothing new to say, really. I think the Pens have a lot to discuss internally. I think they're going to sleep on it.

They want to have their big moves done by Wednesday. They want to know what they have to do with Martin. That's their deadline. But there are some tough decisions to be made, and they'll have to make them soon.

Is that an IC4 or an IC5?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Just bugging

Cool, make sense. Once UFA opens, if they haven't done anything then I expect a few signings.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I hope they're discussing a way to improve the Twitter feed. I suggest killing every tenth social media employee. It's the Roman way.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Say the deal includes Maatta. What's the defense look like then?

Martin - Letang
Pouliot - Cole
Dumoulin - Lovejoy

I mean....not good. But not terrible either. Idk.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If we still had Despres, I'd be willing to move Maatta. It's just really hard to do it right now.

If we still had Despres, our D situation would be better, but we would still not have anyone to step into Maatta's shoes. Dumb teams trade away 20 year old borderline #1 Dmen. Really dumb teams trade them away when the other team has no leverage. Don't be dumb, Penguins.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I hope they're discussing a way to improve the Twitter feed. I suggest killing every tenth social media employee. It's the Roman way.

This will only work if the other 9 social media employees are made to kill the 1. Decimation is not just about culling the weak; it's about hardening what remains.

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014
If the Leafs are insisting on Maatta in the Kessel deal, then move on to plan B. I'd much rather have Oshie and get to keep Maatta than have Kessel and an absolute garbage defense.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would sign Joel Ward and MSL to multi-year deals before I would trade Olli Maatta for Phil Kessel and not lose a second of sleep, knowing positively that I'd made the right choice. The Leafs could add Gardiner and I still wouldn't do it.

Hopefully someone on the Penguins sees it that way, though it won't be JR, who has made the mistake of trading a S.T.U.D. STUD 20 year old defenseman for a scoring wing before. By the time of Pronger's MVP, all the Canes had to show for it was Brind'Amour...fine player, but not worth a potential franchise D.

Having said that, with two drafts spent on forwards and another high pick on a guy that looks an awful lot like he has an overlapping skillset with Kapanen, it's possible I'd budge off considering Kap untradeable. Still unlikely.

Man, I hope Maatta lives up to half the hype this board puts out there about him. He's a good young player. Very poised for his age. But we're talking about one of the very best RWs in the game here signed through the rest of Sid and Geno's best years in Pittsburgh.

I'd much prefer moving DP, but I'd at least ponder moving Maatta if it came to that. Leafs would have to make the salary cap work for us though. Taking bad contracts. Retaining salary. Adding futures. Etc.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'd rather have Austin Lemieux and Eric Meloche on my second line than trade Maatta for Kessel.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
IM wondering what kind of deal can be mae with STL tbh. Oshie, Berglund and Rattie. i wonder what that would cost.

Sutter, Kunitz, 1st and Harrington? Im sure they would push for Pouliot tho.

The more i think of it, the more i dont want anything to do with the Kessel deal, it just screams overpayment from JR.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Man, I hope Maatta lives up to half the hype this board puts out there about him. He's a good young player. Very poised for his age. But we're talking about one of the very best RWs in the game here signed through the rest of Sid and Geno's best years in Pittsburgh.

I'd much prefer moving DP, but I'd at least ponder moving Maatta if it came to that. Leafs would have to make the salary cap work for us though. Taking bad contracts. Retaining salary. Adding futures. Etc.

If we trade Olli Maatta for Phil Kessel, we are the 2014 Flyers without the talent pipeline. Should not be considered for even a second.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

It isn't just hype or potential though. Maatta was better than Letang when healthy. At 20.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
IM wondering what kind of deal can be mae with STL tbh. Oshie, Berglund and Rattie. i wonder what that would cost.

Sutter, Kunitz, 1st and Harrington? Im sure they would push for Pouliot tho.

The more i think of it, the more i dont want anything to do with the Kessel deal, it just screams overpayment from JR.

I don't know if they'd want/ask for Harrington, but it seems like the first two can help them. Sutter and Kunitz are total Hitchcock players and Armstrong's not one to play hardball on the trade market.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
If we still had Despres, our D situation would be better, but we would still not have anyone to step into Maatta's shoes. Dumb teams trade away 20 year old borderline #1 Dmen. Really dumb teams trade them away when the other team has no leverage. Don't be dumb, Penguins.

Despres could. Despres has done something Maatta never has... successfully play top-4 minutes in the playoffs.

It isn't just hype or potential though. Maatta was better than Letang when healthy. At 20.

Any time that Maatta was better than Letang, Letang wasn't healthy.

PenguinTommy

Jan 4, 2009
Zvolen
I definitely not for moving Maatta. But are we sure he's going to return to his former self and keep improving?

What about to wait and see, at least, for one season? How long this organization have been waiting for Beau Bennett? 3 yrs and it's been fine for a lot of people!

Yeah, let's trade our 2nd best, top pairing 20yo d-man on ELC for Kessel. Let's be stupid like Bruins with Hamilton.

To me, Olli Maatta is more important for this team than Kessel, contract-wise, age-wise..

We're not in cap hell either. Yeah we have to go with younger players and blah blah.. let's trade 20 yo for 27yo. I would understand that, if we're talking about player like Tarasenko, but we're not.
Just ask Leafs fans, what it would take to get Morgan Reilly eg.

Right now, I wish Shero is still our GM, cause he would never ever trade Maatta for any winger available right now. You simply don't trade franchise Dman! Period!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He did a deal like that once before, his first big deal ever really, and it's comparable: Pronger for Shanahan, about 20 years ago.

Absolutely. Shanahan wanted no part of Hartford but as a hockey trade it was a good one for both sides.

Yep, only way I'm sending Maatta out in the deal is if we're also getting JVR back and they're taking all the spare parts/cap dumps.

Maatta+1st+Sutter+Kunitz+Scuderi+Spaling for Kessel+JVR

Could maybe add a prospect on top of that. Toronto could then flip Sutter, Spaling and Kunitz at the deadline for more picks.

We'd absolutely need to sign a defenseman to play with Letang though.

I think JVR is a pipe dream. I don't believe we have the assets to land both Kessel and JVR, and in my mind Kessel is the guy we need the most (and the guy Toronto needs to get rid of the most). Besides, we don't have enough London Knights grads to make it work! We only have two.

As for Letang's partner, we could use Scott Harrington. I mean, the guy was basically born to play with a Letang.

I suggested including a flip of Kunitz and JVR, but, yeah, there are some very limited scenarios where even people like us, who ordinarily would flip out over moving Maatta, wouldn't necessarily.

And, I think if the Pens are creative, introducing Maatta to discussions changes the dance. Maatta, not Kessel, would be the shiniest toy in discussions, and Toronto has the money, time, and assets to overpay for Maatta precisely how we fear JR might overpay for Kessel.

Exactly. It's not that we WANT to move Maatta, it's taking advantage of Mark Hunter's ***** for all things London. Not to mention I'm sure Mr. Babcock sees Maatta in very high regard. Then it becomes a Maatta deal as much as a Kessel deal.

They just acquired Marincin from Edm. He's not terrible if we need a blueliner to come back this way. They also have Stuart Percy who's not bad. And of course I'm sure they would love to get rid of Polak. Maybe there could be several D-men moved in this deal...Maatta, Lovejoy, Scuderi that way, Marincin and Polak this way. Something like that.

I don't understand why people laugh at the thought of signing Mike Green. The idea of helping Crosby and Malkin includes the PP, where Green is still among the very best in the league at quarterbacking one. And he's not ancient and coming off his best all-round campaign. I like him way more than the idea of bringing back Martin. We have puck movers, steady guys. We don't have an impact guy and Green could be that guy.

Who knows, maybe good 'ol JR could convince Green to take an Erhoff-type deal.

See, this is where, if it is Maatta, JR needs to leverage it. Go back to Shanny . . . I can move him, but can't get the green light. I need something else back.

Yup.

No way in hell are the Leafs gonna give up JVR and Kessel in any deal that doesn't involve Malkin

Agreed.

Be patient JR, Shanahan will break and everyone knows they don't want Phil back

Absolutely. There's just no way Toronto is keeping Kessel. If you wait them out until August you could crush their will.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

BEFORE shoulder problems, illness and cancer. Let's not forget that. I'm pretty sure when the Leafs ask for him, they mention these 'warts' to our braintrust.

Maatta isn't an out and out no-brainer...not anymore. There are looming questions.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

For a small stretch of time. So was Paul Martin for a longer stretch of time. You'd balk at trading a young Martin for Kessel?

I get it. Trading Maatta is an extremely tough pill to swallow. He could be an elite D-men for the next decade+. But Kessel IS an elite RW, right now. Second only to Ovy the last few years in terms of shot generation and goals.

It sounds like we'll be waiting until Wednesday anyway to see where the asking price ends up with Kessel. I'd much prefer using DP or KK as the the trade piece. But I'm not going to make silly claims like that trade will doom us. We're a better team the next few years with Kessel than Maatta. The trade off is after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad