GDT: NHL Draft Lottery 2019 - 8PM - NBCSN,SN,TVAS (upd: NJ 1st, NYR 2nd, CHI 3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If you’re trying to pick a lottery team to get to cup contender status quickly, that’s Colorado. So...

The homer in me says the Oilers are also just a few pieces away - a cheap, young, talented winger fits the bill...

Yeah, I also just want to see how this board would react if Edmonton ended up with a top-2 pick.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Just did a quick sim on tankathon. Philadelphia-Detroit-New Jersey were the top 3 that I got.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Since the new rules being in place for the 2015-16 season, with the top 3 spots being up for grabs, the last 3 draft lotteries (technically 9) have had more volatility than ever before, history says that we'll get at least one upset tonight.

2016: Toronto stays at #1, Winnipeg jumps up from #6 to #2, Columbus jumps from #4 to #3.

As a result, Edmonton falls from 2nd to 3rd, Vancouver from 3rd to 5th.

2017: New Jersey goes from #5 to #1, Philadelphia goes from #13 to #2, Dallas leaps from #8 to #3.

The result leaves Colorado going from 1st to 4th, Vancouver from 2nd to 5th, and Vegas from 3rd to 6th.

2018: Buffalo keep top spot at #1, Carolina rises from #11 to #2, Montreal from #4 to #3.

This means that Ottawa goes from from 2nd to 4th, Arizona from 3rd to 5th.

In conclusion, there's been a team that's jumped up at least 4 spots in each one of these drafts, meaning a team from the 6-9 range should get some luck tonight!

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Avs are likely picking 4th, based on the odds. It already happened to them once in 2017.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
They seriously need to get rid of the lottery. It's ridiculous that Ottawa had to be punished enough for drafting Alexandre Daigle, now the rest of the league does too. It is absolutely NOT unrealistic that Los Angeles could be picking 5th after today. Does anyone who watches teams other than their own know just how BAD that team is?

Hockey fans: "This team sucks!! hahahahaha"

*Team fails to win lottery 2 straight years and pick 4th and 5th*

*3 years later*

Also hockey fans: "HAHAHAHAHA!!! That team still sucks!!!!"

*Meanwhile 1st and 2nd overall picks that team should have had are phenomenal. Team is somewhere around 6th in the league... too far to win the lotto, too sucky to make playoffs*
LA has 2 Cups in the last decade, and Edmonton sure has flourished with 4 1st overalls (soon to be 5).

Reactions: Devonator

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
DALYLYLY.jpg

Looking back at that order now. Imagine if Tampa had taken Jones :help:.

Reactions: Mac Attack

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

McJesus legit looks like he's walking to a funeral right there haha. Not gonna lie, a small perverse side of me wants to see the Oilers win the #1 pick just to see the reactions here and on Hughes' face haha. Just hoping the Avs score top 2 but am happy with the guaranteed 4th as well.

Last edited:

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
They seriously need to get rid of the lottery. It's ridiculous that Ottawa had to be punished enough for drafting Alexandre Daigle, now the rest of the league does too. It is absolutely NOT unrealistic that Los Angeles could be picking 5th after today. Does anyone who watches teams other than their own know just how BAD that team is?

Hockey fans: "This team sucks!! hahahahaha"

*Team fails to win lottery 2 straight years and pick 4th and 5th*

*3 years later*

Also hockey fans: "HAHAHAHAHA!!! That team still sucks!!!!"

*Meanwhile 1st and 2nd overall picks that team should have had are phenomenal. Team is somewhere around 6th in the league... too far to win the lotto, too sucky to make playoffs*
i kind of like brian burke's idea of revamping the lottery. the 5 worst teams are the only teams to be in the lottery and he had a whole bunch of funkyness for teams not being able to pick #1 multiple years and top 3 and other situations. i don't often agree with burke but i agree with his premise that the worst teams need the help not a team like arizona or montreal who missed out on the playoffs by 4-5 points.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
Too many dog**** teams in lottery have already selected top 3 in recent memory. Time for Chicago, LA and New York to pick there. Sit back Colorado fans and enjoy 4th. You’ve hit your top 3 pick limit this decade.

Sure, fine booting out the Rags for Anaheim. Just no more of these piss poor managed franchises with top picks please.

You realize Sakic traded for this pick, right? :help:

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I was bored so I simulated the draft 100 times. Here are the results for the Top 3, and how many times they ended up at #1, #2 and #3.

Team#1#2#3
Anaheim Ducks4610
Arizona Coyotes130
Buffalo Sabres1286
Chicago Blackhawks241
Colorado Avalanche161715
Detroit Red Wings81212
Edmonton Oilers9108
Florida Panthers511
Los Angeles Kings141314
Minnesota Wild132
Montreal Canadiens000