GDT: NHL Draft Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Well now that the draft is over we wait and see a years down the line how it turned out--Hopefully as some of us would have picked other players the players that Drury drafted work out--some will and some won't.

We all heard there was going to be some news on Zibs but I for one thought it was going to be much different, I like most love Zibby but at 10 million it's not going to work down the road--hopefully he sees this and wants to be part of the team long term without ripping it apart later on. I have my doubts as some do--don't really see a hometown discount--maybe a few coins but that's it.

I wouldn't let this drag on--just like in an sport a 1 year contract doesn't really have a lot of faith in it. Yes he can wait it out and go to FA but that doesn't help the team as the season goes along. Drury should approach Zibs and find out if there is any way to keep him--if not see if he waive his NTC to a team if wishes.

Vegas maybe bright lights--little like NYC until you go a few miles in each direction---just joking.

If were dealing with Vegas we have to get at least Krebs--from there Tuch, McNabb, Reaves and a first.

Does something like:

To Vegas

Zibs
Hajek
for
Krebs, Tuch, McNabb, Reaves and a first sound fair ?

My other team I would go after is Minn--yes Minn.

Zibs has his buddy Zucc there so maybe he would waive for there.

Zibs
Hajek
maybe Goat or Jones
for
Rossi/Boldy
Kaprizov whom is having some trouble signing.
Kahkonen
Dumba--to fit in the salaries

Then I'd go full blown crazy and try to deal Dumba with our first next year plus for Larkin from Detroit. But that's just me.

Not that any of this is going to happen--as stated above love Zibs but there comes a time to either poop or get off the pot.

Like it blow it up if you want just my thoughts and possible a better route then Eichel.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
We’re not done until Strome is moved. We’re not winning anything with that guy and then Chytil in the middle. We need a legit two way guy in the middle of this lineup.

Options are Getlzlaf, Krejci, Bonino, Bozak, Granlund, Wennberg, Haula, and Nosek. Bellemare as a fourth liner.

The Ziba thing is so overdramatic. They can see how he does this year. His price may come down, he may still get injured and miss 10-12 games, etc.

Barkov still hasn't signed. He's a better option than Ziba for the price range.

I'd personally overpay both Krejci and Chara on one year deals. Winners. Imagine what Krejci can do mentoring Chytil for a year. Chara brings respect and could really help Miller and Lundkvist.

Haula I'm fine with too. Played for Gallant. Know what to expect. 55% on faceoffs.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
We don’t have a single good contract on the books, we have to trade all players for cents on the dollar, and the only long contract we signed were given to close to 30 vets.

You like our contract management? The same guys that applauded the bridge deals are complying about the return for Buch.

How will the Ziba situation be handled? It’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Why? His last contract is a nightmare. Right when we are supposed to start to contend he becomes a UFA.

Dude, you're talking complete nonsense. The only 2 guys on the roster (or formerly on the roster) who have/had bridge deals are Strome and Buch. Strome didn't deserve anything other than a bridge and as for Buch, you're completely ignoring that in 2019-20 we had absolutely no cap space due to buyouts, primarily Shattenkirk (which, yes, did turn out to be a disaster because of injuries and the collapse in our roster's performance in his first year) and Girardi (who was signed by Sather more than a year before Gorton took the reins). DeAngelo was forced to accept his qualifying offer that year we had so little room - where was the cap space coming from for a longer contract?

Further, Zibby hadn't yet established himself as the elite player he is today, having scored 37 points in 56 games the season before he got signed and followed that up with 47 in 72 in the first year of his contract. Nobody was anticipating him to blow up the way he did - there was every reason to believe that he was what he was at that point.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t know how bad Drury wants Eichel but it seems to me that it’s probably time to start pivoting to plan B on the center situation

Adams is probably feeling himself a bit because he fleeced Philly and didn’t get fleeced on the Reinhart deal. There’s no reason for him to come down on the price right now

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This from a poster on another Rangers fan site:
brennan othman has a super release on his shot and excellent hands but he i s slightly built not a natural skater and looked easily knocked over when watching his swiss league play in contrast to the wcouting repirts that touted him as a physucally impressive player, he has hifh character and a strong detrmination to suceed , apparantly no bad habits but im not sold on him as a numbar 15 overall and enough already with the cliche of tough canadian kids, hes not living in the prairue or a farm or a mining community likw was often the case in the 50’s and 60’s. he looks like he lives in an affluent suburb and has never really faced adversity. a skating coach a personal trainer , i bet bobby hull tim horton or frank mahovlich never had any of those
docjay

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don’t know how bad Drury wants Eichel but it seems to me that it’s probably time to start pivoting to plan B on the center situation

Adams is probably feeling himself a bit because he fleeced Philly and didn’t get fleeced on the Reinhart deal. There’s no reason for him to come down on the price right now

What even is plan B? Danault?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Options are Getlzlaf, Krejci, Bonino, Bozak, Granlund, Wennberg, Haula, and Nosek. Bellemare as a fourth liner.

The Ziba thing is so overdramatic. They can see how he does this year. His price may come down, he may still get injured and miss 10-12 games, etc.

Barkov still hasn't signed. He's a better option than Ziba for the price range.

I'd personally overpay both Krejci and Chara on one year deals. Winners. Imagine what Krejci can do mentoring Chytil for a year. Chara brings respect and could really help Miller and Lundkvist.

Haula I'm fine with too. Played for Gallant. Know what to expect. 55% on faceoffs.

I was talking about krejci during the playoffs as being a solid option too if he becomes avail. He’s still a heck of a player IMO.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
We don’t have a single good contract on the books, we have to trade all players for cents on the dollar, and the only long contract we signed were given to close to 30 vets.

You like our contract management? The same guys that applauded the bridge deals are complying about the return for Buch.

How will the Ziba situation be handled? It’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Why? His last contract is a nightmare. Right when we are supposed to start to contend he becomes a UFA at the worst possible age.

Part of the problem and the "Rangers Tax" I always bring up is because of the decades of how the team was handled really going back to Ferguson. Esposito was a child as GM, Smith mostly post-94, and Sather before the cap. It's the whole "Well this is NY, we have to win" and there really hasn't been a GM who basically came in and threw those rules out the window.

The Ziba situation isn't as binary as it seems. He's a very good player but he hasn't been at his best in almost two years. He hasn't proven to be a playoff performer as a main guy. Yes he scored an OT goal against Montreal in 2017 when he was a co-2C with Hayes. People once again view him as this star. Marcel Dionne was 3x the player Mika was and never had any success in the playoffs.

People need to put things in perspective. Ask yourself, would Lou Lamariello be tripping over Ziba right now? No he wouldn't.

Reactions: Ola

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Staal and Girardi were both Sather's work.
On top of the fact that both of their deals were 5 year deals. Literally the same as Zibanejad’s current contract, which was signed before we decided to blow things up so the whole “expires right when we were supposed to be contending” claim is mostly bullshit.

Let’s not even get started on how Staal and Girardi’s contacts never came anywhere close to giving us the same kind of value Zib’s did.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Prepare for Goodrow in the top 6 :laugh:

Goodrow is 100000% getting top six minutes.

He may "start" on the third line or have his main running buddies be some combo of Blais, Barron, Kreider, and long shot Cullye..but the PK time, faceoffs, protecting leads, if the team isn't going and they need a jolt....it's going to add up to 14-17 minutes a night.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
So the lesson from Kreider was that just because you may lack depth today doesn't mean you will lack depth next week. No deal is made in a vacuum so don't make a long term decision for a short term problem.

So you don't panic trade for Eichel because Mika has a concerning demand. And you don't sign Mika because Kevyn is asking for the moon. The patient GM wins here. LA has too many top 6 centers in the system. That doesn't help today necessarily but I put a pin in that as a solution if we get a stop gap.

Florida did just sign Lundell. They are contending now. If Reinhart is a wing, then it's a dead end. If not, I keep an eye on the situation.

Vegas didn't fix their center issue with Patrick. Mika, in my unqualified opinion, has a high likelihood of waiving for them. Krebs is still an asset.

Dvorak and PLD to watch for. I see short term options to weather a storm. Hold the fort until we use a wealth of assets for a true #1 when one shakes loose. Maintain cap space if someone hits free agency. So many players pushing for UFA control as soon as possible. Basically, our worst option is making a bad decision because we didn't have an option today.

Reactions: jay from jersey

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Vince is reporting that the Eichel situation is at a standstill. Buffalo not willing to accept a more modest proposal.

He then of course suggests the possibility of adding Kakko to seal the deal :help:

There like a .05% chance of this happening before and it dropped to -12% with Buch getting traded.

Reactions: Fitzy

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There's no reason not to sign him.

I’ve heard it may be Boston or retire at this point

at best he may want to join a sure fire contender similar to Chara last year but IMO he’d be a great fit for 2 years. Get a better idea on Chytil as a 2C long term at that point

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I’ve heard it may be Boston or retire at this point

at best he may want to join a sure fire contender similar to Chara last year but IMO he’d be a great fit for 2 years. Get a better idea on Chytil as a 2C long term at that point

I can see that given his age. I'd overpay him for a one year or two year deal.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Goodrow is 100000% getting top six minutes.

He may "start" on the third line or have his main running buddies be some combo of Blais, Barron, Kreider, and long shot Cullye..but the PK time, faceoffs, protecting leads, if the team isn't going and they need a jolt....it's going to add up to 14-17 minutes a night.

well if we’re anything like Tampa they used their third line like a second line a lot come playoff time when u look at the mins

you could make a line of Goodrow Danault Kakko and use them as a match up 2nd line in that way and have another scoring line of Lafreniere Chytil Kravtsov that probably ends up with less mins on certain nights just due to the score of the game. There’s a lot of options with Goodrow and Danault on this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad