NHL Draft Combine 2022, May 29 - June 4, Buffalo

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
How is the combine invite list decided?
Club-nominated player lists then create a shortlist based off of that?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
NHL teams request guys from that list, the combine is an NHL team populated event.

Why you see guys ranked lower (Barbashev #98 NA for an example) there over guys ranked higher on the list.
You would think if scouts had off-radar favorites that they've already done homework on during the season that they wouldn't bring up those names.... instead suggest guys they don't like or red-flagged haha

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You would think if scouts had off-radar favorites that they've already done homework on during the season that they wouldn't bring up those names.... instead suggest guys they don't like or red-flagged haha
Imagine in 1998 somebody sees Pavel Datsyuk's name on the invite list...

8ag9.gif

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I keep searching twitter for combine insights haha... its interesting to see photos of players interviewing with certain teams. Like the Senators interviewing Warren, whom I want the Ducks to pick. It looks like he's getting serious interest in the early 2nd round and might sneak into the late 1st, but he's not on most mock publications.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I keep searching twitter for combine insights haha... its interesting to see photos of players interviewing with certain teams. Like the Senators interviewing Warren, whom I want the Ducks to pick. It looks like he's getting serious interest in the early 2nd round and might sneak into the late 1st, but he's not on most mock publications.
Ive got Warren going late first easy as of now. He won’t get past detroit at 40 if he isn’t gone yet I can tell you that much.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Ive got Warren going late first easy as of now. He won’t get past detroit at 40 if he isn’t gone yet I can tell you that much.

Rating D to the team that selects him top 40.

What a lack of ambition to bet so high on a player just for his physique... It's laziness.

These kind of Roman Polak players you get that easily one way or another.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Rating D to the team that selects him top 40.

What a lack of ambition to bet so high on a player just for his physique... It's laziness.

These kind of Roman Polak players you get that easily one way or another.
I think he compares more favourably to Brandon Carlo.

You need players like Warren to win championships. I think he’ll be the perfect partner for a offensive guy like Thomas Chabot in the future. He is a fantastic skater and is real good in his own zone. I also believe he has some untapped offensive potential. This year in Gatineau, alot of offensive guys really disappointed. This makes me believe it is more of a system problem more than it is a player problem.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I think he compares more favourably to Brandon Carlo.

You need players like Warren to win championships. I think he’ll be the perfect partner for a offensive guy like Thomas Chabot in the future. He is a fantastic skater and is real good in his own zone. I also believe he has some untapped offensive potential. This year in Gatineau, alot of offensive guys really disappointed. This makes me believe it is more of a system problem more than it is a player problem.
I know the usefulness of physical players but this kind of players that you can easily get otherwise (transfer, free agent), including in this draft. If in 39, there are still Lamoureux and Rinzel in addition to Warren, I don't really see the point of taking him if there are still very talented players.

Rather try to find the annual Sebastian Aho, this player who allows your team to move up a notch rather than a security choice.

In QMAAA, Warren had 0 offense. I've been following his evolution for years, I've never seen anything. Gatineau is not the problem. It is technically very limited. Taking a shut down top 40 defender is not my philosophy. Especially in a draft class where there are a lot of right-handed defensemen who could explode. Less physical but infinitely more talented.

Excellent 3rd round choice but very bad top 40 choice. Ottawa already made this choice to go for a physical right-handed defender in the 2nd round, because of this ideology they missed out on excellent players.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I know the usefulness of physical players but this kind of players that you can easily get otherwise (transfer, free agent), including in this draft. If in 39, there are still Lamoureux and Rinzel in addition to Warren, I don't really see the point of taking him if there are still very talented players.

Rather try to find the annual Sebastian Aho, this player who allows your team to move up a notch rather than a security choice.

In QMAAA, Warren had 0 offense. I've been following his evolution for years, I've never seen anything. Gatineau is not the problem. It is technically very limited. Taking a shut down top 40 defender is not my philosophy. Especially in a draft class where there are a lot of right-handed defensemen who could explode. Less physical but infinitely more talented.

Excellent 3rd round choice but very bad top 40 choice. Ottawa already made this choice to go for a physical right-handed defender in the 2nd round, because of this ideology they missed out on excellent players.
Right handed defenders that are 6’5”, as physical as he is that can skate the way he does are NOT players you can get easily. There is a reason guys like Bischel(LD), Rinzel and Warren are being consistently rated between 15 and 50.

Once you find your Erik Karlsson and Cale Makar , you need to find their Marc Methot and Devon Toews.

Offence is sexy a yes, but a player like Cernak, Pelech and Carlo can contribute just as much and all these guys have been found in the second and early third rounds. You need these type of players to win to a championship. You need a mix of speed, skill, physicality and defence. Warren provides 3 of those 4.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Right handed defenders that are 6’5”, as physical as he is that can skate the way he does are NOT players you can get easily. There is a reason guys like Bischel(LD), Rinzel and Warren are being consistently rated between 15 and 50.

Once you find your Erik Karlsson and Cale Makar , you need to find their Marc Methot and Devon Toews.

Offence is sexy a yes, but a player like Cernak, Pelech and Carlo can contribute just as much and all these guys have been found in the second and early third rounds. You need these type of players to win to a championship. You need a mix of speed, skill, physicality and defence. Warren provides 3 of those 4.
First we have an evaluation problem because Warren skating level for me is a 3/5. You evaluated him at 4.5/5 obviously.

Second I heard the same arguments and promises during the QMJHL 2020 draft and in the end I did not see the predictions come true.

Third Bichsel and Rinzel, in a Junior context bring more play.

Fourth there are in this draft a lot of talented defenders like Nelson and Hutson that I would take before, for their talent. And there are others that I have in sight, which can explode. I will not mention their names so as not to enter into a sterile and eternal debate.

Fifth you quote players as if they correspond to a scientific and systematic rule. I've seen big mobile defensemen never give anything and stay in the AHL/ECHL all their careers. Dylan Blujus, an example among others.

Sixth Tampa Bay didn't make a difference in selecting Cernak. Besides the fact that Cernak was indefinitely more complete at the same age, it was mainly by selecting Kucherov and Point that they built their team.

Seventh If Warren had all the qualities you say he would be top 10.

Eighth GermanSpitFire when I see your list, which I refrained from commenting on, I would avoid making fun of other people's opinions.

I understand the idea of Warren being selected top 40. But it's not the best choice to make in a draft where I see other players with the same profile and other players, a little less physical but with a lot more of technical qualities. From my point of view, I would be very happy to see this player go out in the 1st round. This would advance my team's ability to select a talented player who slips one step further.

Top 40, Warren is the choice of intellectual laziness. You can sign police defenders for 1.5 million on the free agent market. There are plenty in the league. Search well. Impossible to get a top 6 attack or top 4 defense offensive player so easely.

Last edited:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
First we have an evaluation problem because Warren skating level for me is a 3/5. You evaluated him at 4.5/5 obviously.

Second I heard the same arguments and promises during the QMJHL 2020 draft and in the end I did not see the predictions come true.

Fourth there are in this draft a lot of talented defenders like Nelson and Hutson that I would take before, for their talent. And there are others that I have in sight, which can explode. I will not mention their names so as not to enter into a sterile and eternal debate.

Fifth you quote players as if they correspond to a scientific and systematic rule. I've seen big mobile defensemen never give anything and stay in the AHL/ECHL all their careers. Dylan Blujus, an example among others.

Sixth Tampa Bay didn't make a difference in selecting Cernak. Besides the fact that Cernak was indefinitely more complete at the same age, it was mainly by selecting Kucherov and Point that they built their team.

Eighth GermanSpitFire when I see your list, which I refrained from commenting on, I would avoid making fun of other people's opinions.

I understand the idea of Warren being selected top 40. But it's not the best choice to make in a draft where I see other players with the same profile and other players, a little less physical but with a lot more of technical qualities. From my point of view, I would be very happy to see this player go out in the 1st round. This would advance my team's ability to select a talented player who slips one step further.

Top 40, Warren is the choice of intellectual laziness. You can sign police defenders for 1.5 million on the free agent market. There are plenty in the league. Search well. Impossible to get a top 6 attack or top 4 defense offensive player so easely.
Dirtyf1ghter. The person who has all the answers - eh?

Warren has everything you want in a pro style player. He dominated physically at the Prospects game where he showcased his game. Was one of the best players on the ice. He is able to play his game against the best of his age group so I don’t see why he wouldn’t do the same in the NHL after 3 years of development. He’s also a great individual with a good head on his shoulders. I think Warren will be a top-4 complementary defender by the time he’s 25. And honestly i’d think a team would be smart to draft Hutson and Warren together and have them grow as partners together.

Here are some highlights and some of his head coaches comments on Warren.

I’d trust Warren’s coaches opinions above your own. That’s for sure.

Reactions: cheesymc and rt

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

You read my prospect rankings?

How nice!

I appreciate the support kiddo!

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Dirtyf1ghter. The person who has all the answers - eh?

Warren has everything you want in a pro style player. He dominated physically at the Prospects game where he showcased his game. Was one of the best players on the ice. He is able to play his game against the best of his age group so I don’t see why he wouldn’t do the same in the NHL after 3 years of development. He’s also a great individual with a good head on his shoulders. I think Warren will be a top-4 complementary defender by the time he’s 25. And honestly i’d think a team would be smart to draft Hutson and Warren together and have them grow as partners together.

Here are some highlights and some of his head coaches comments on Warren.

I’d trust Warren’s coaches opinions above your own. That’s for sure.

If you're taking Warren in the first/early 2nd round you'd hope he's better than a "complimentary" top 4 D by 25. Why not just take other guys out there with higher ceilings?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

You want size on the blue line. When it comes with offense, that's great. But when it doesn't, you always take the size first.

I won't repost the list here but I posted in the Smaht Scouting Rankings the breakdown of the top 4 defensemen on each team in the Conference Finals of the past 5 seasons by size. A 6 foot defenseman is in the 16th percentile of size. The median defenseman is 6'3" and the average defenseman is just a shade under 6'3". The tried and true formula in modern hockey to make playoff runs involves huge defensemen.

You rate offense highly because that's what you notice. But teams that want success in the NHL playoffs are looking for guys who can put sticks in lanes to break up passes, keep screeners off the front of the net, win pucks in the corner, and chip the puck out to rinse and repeat.

Tampa isn't winning because of Nikita Kucherov. He just scores points. They had him long before they ever won a cup. They've beaten teams with better offense in the league. And other teams with good defense have also done that work for them. In both their cup runs they ranked higher in playoff Goals Allowed than Goals Scored. On offense, you point to one guy. One defense, no such attribution is proper. They didn't win because of Erik Cernak. They won because of their elite defensive core, Victor Hedman, Ryan McDonagh, Mikhail Sergachev, and Erik Cernak. A core that they've kept intact and has won them 2 cups and placed them in a third conference finals.

If you look at the number of conference finalist defensemen in the top 25 in defensive scoring. This year 4, 2021 had 5, 2020 had 2, 2019 had 2, and 2018 had 3. Colorado this year and Vegas last year are the only teams with 2. 6 of the 20 teams have gone far in the playoffs without a single top offensive defensemen. So there's no evidence that it's at all a requirement to make it far into the playoffs. Meanwhile, only 2 of the 20 conference finalist teams have had 2 top 25 defensive scorers, and only 2 out of the 17 teams in the same period to do so (Calgary 2022, Edmonton 2021, Colorado 2021, Florida 2020, San Jose 2020, Nashville 2020, Montreal 2020, San Jose 2019, Columbus 2019, Nashville 2019, Buffalo 2019, Nashville 2018, Toronto 2018, Minnesota 2018, LA 2018). So while it probably doesn't hurt to have 2 top scoring defensemen, it's also not evident at all that having more than one offensive defenseman is more valuable than not.

In sum, there are a lot of valuable defensemen who don't put up points on the board, but help their teams make deep runs in the playoffs. If he can develop great puck skills and a sick one-timer from the blue line then that's great. Even if not, he's the type of player you want on your team to win hockey games. And I agree with you that no team should pick him over Rinzel, Lamoureux, and Bischel. But I also agree with them that he could be a top 40 pick, because those players should be off the boards by then...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad