NHL Draft Combine 2022, May 29 - June 4, Buffalo

wayupnorth

Nov 22, 2018
How are the players selected for Combine? seems like they dont follow the NHL central scouting Rankings, players ranked 100-150 invited and players ranked lower not invited?

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
When you listen to some of the post-draft media sessions, Yzerman will frequently mention how a certain player impressed him in the interview. Often, this is the first time a GM can try to get into the mind of a player.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think Mittelstadt could do a pull up he just didnt understand the strict technique they want so nothing counted.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Mittelstadt could do a pull up he just didnt understand the strict technique they want so nothing counted.

He had form issues that their S&T guy said they corrected and had him doing pullups the first week he was training with the Gophers. *shrug*

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I guess I'm not surprised that Yurov, Trikozov and Perevalov aren't attending.

Kind of interesting that Mintyukov is attending. I wonder if he went home after the season, or if the person drawing these arbitrary lines cares if he went home.

TF1970

May 9, 2021

Kind of interesting that Mintyukov is attending. I wonder if he went home after the season, or if the person drawing these arbitrary lines cares if he went home.

fairly certain mintyukov did not return to russia

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
How are the players selected for Combine? seems like they dont follow the NHL central scouting Rankings, players ranked 100-150 invited and players ranked lower not invited?
Central Scouting gives teams their final list. Teams come back with a list of players they want to interview. If enough teams want to interview a certain player - they are invited to the combine... if you are not on many lists - then you are not invited. Going to the combine means there is a pretty good chance a player gets drafted - but that does not mean others not invited won't go higher than some attending. There are always a few at the combine that won't even get drafted. You never know.

Also, remember CS is a private scouting service. Every NHL team has its own scouts that rank players. the lists do not necessarily align. Also NHL teams are also looking to fill roles and round out their teams - not necessarily look for BAP after late second round... they may be looking for the Best Player at a certain role.

Reactions: wayupnorth

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021

I imagine getting to Buffalo from Russia would be quite the circuitous ordeal, given that most transportation links to Russia have been severed. The combine is of questionable value anyway, and definitely not worth it for those kids this year.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Good. Let some idiots overvalue the combine so Jiricek can fall to #8!
This year's draft seems to be even more of a crap shoot than usual, with roughly the same Round 1 names being mentioned, but with their rankings all over the place.

Nobody can say with any certainty where Jiricek will go, but he certainly won't drop because teams are nervous that they don't know his VO2 Max score.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This year's draft seems to be even more of a crap shoot than usual, with roughly the same Round 1 names being mentioned, but with their rankings all over the place.

Nobody can say with any certainty where Jiricek will go, but he certainly won't drop because teams are nervous that they don't know his VO2 Max score.
The combine comment was a joke. A month out, if I had to guess, the top five will be Wright/Slaf/Cooley/Nemec/Jiricek.

Not necessarily in that order, but those players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad