GDT: NHL Draft - 2015 edition - ZOMG EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING!

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
"Ryan Pilon: OK, granted, the Brandon defenceman didn’t have a lot of prep time after the Wheat Kings’ elimination in the WHL final, but still, teams would like to see a little more athleticism that Pilon put on display.

Ranked No. 24 among North American skaters by Central Scouting, Pilon was dead last in body fat measurement and dead last in the cumulative measure in the agility tests. In fact, if you looked across the board you were almost guaranteed to find him in the bottom 10 percent, even in power rather than endurance tests.

Again, I suspect that Pilon was giving it the old college try and had to be more banged up than he owned up to. And I also suspect that one bad result snowballed into another—knowing he was having a bad day at the showcase could not have been fun.

A big asterisk attached to this one."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-combine-5-head-scratching-performances/

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
their highschool scout must have some serious clout

I wonder if this was a strategic play by the Canes. The days of being the only person to know about some guy in Sweden or Finland like Detroit used to do are over. Everybody has those guys scouted to death.

So maybe GMRF thinks "Highschool players are a place where somebody could slip through the cracks in the late rounds. Let's invest there, and see if we can find someone everybody else has missed."

Complete speculation, of course, but it sort of makes sense.

The interesting thing would be to see how many other highschool kids are getting drafted, and at what draft position.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
"Ryan Pilon: OK, granted, the Brandon defenceman didn’t have a lot of prep time after the Wheat Kings’ elimination in the WHL final, but still, teams would like to see a little more athleticism that Pilon put on display.

Ranked No. 24 among North American skaters by Central Scouting, Pilon was dead last in body fat measurement and dead last in the cumulative measure in the agility tests. In fact, if you looked across the board you were almost guaranteed to find him in the bottom 10 percent, even in power rather than endurance tests.

Again, I suspect that Pilon was giving it the old college try and had to be more banged up than he owned up to. And I also suspect that one bad result snowballed into another—knowing he was having a bad day at the showcase could not have been fun.

A big asterisk attached to this one."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-combine-5-head-scratching-performances/

Man I hate those combine stats. For NFL sure it makes some sense. But for NHL where the game is played you know....on ice...it totally does not. Who cares what his agility test time is.

As Kenny Powers would say "I'm trying to be the best at real sports. Not trying to be the best at exercising".

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
6 years is a long time for Dubnyk.

The turnover for NHL goaltenders has been so high in recent years, even with the amazing price tag for a starter, I'd rather pay more for 3 years than risk having him end up being a backup making 4.3m.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
6 years is a long time for Dubnyk.

The turnover for NHL goaltenders has been so high in recent years, even with the amazing price tag for a starter, I'd rather pay more for 3 years than risk having him end up being a backup making 4.3m.

See Ward, Cam for reference. For a while he was a top 10 goalie in the league, maybe a bit overpaid but his contract wasn't THAT bad for a few years. Then injuries happen and things go off the rails. Most I would want to do with a goalie anymore is a 4 year deal honestly, even with a guy like Lundqvist things could go south if things go wrong.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
See Ward, Cam for reference. For a while he was a top 10 goalie in the league, maybe a bit overpaid but his contract wasn't THAT bad for a few years. Then injuries happen and things go off the rails. Most I would want to do with a goalie anymore is a 4 year deal honestly, even with a guy like Lundqvist things could go south if things go wrong.

That's why I think Bobrovsky's deal is great. Yeah they had to pay him a bit more but it's for four years.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
since the lockout alone:

Mike Reilly (well not yet, but that one's inevitable), Brock Nelson, Nick Leddy, Jake Gardiner, Derek Stepan, Cam Atkinson, Nick Bonino, Alex Killorn, Ryan McDonagh

so some pretty big names, not all first rounders either though a lot of them were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad