NHL Draft 2007

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I had originally posted a mock draft regarding GM's but I started too late. So just before draft day on Friday, I'll post the top 60 and why the team drafted this player
Here are the first 30. 31-60 posted tomorrow.

1. Chicago Blackhawks : Kyle Turris. The Blackhawks choose Turris because they aren’t keen on drafting CHLer’s because Cam Barker selected 3 Years Ago still hasn't developped into a strong NHLer, and picks below him have. Also Turris is a very good skater and has great scoring ability and GM Dale Tallon believes him and Jonathan Toews will soon be the best players in the NHL.
:hawks

2. Philadelphia Flyers : James VanRiemsdyk. The Flyers are looking for a fantastic player they can add to their falling team. Paul Holmgren is smart making this pick becuase richards, carter and vanriemsdyk will make a strong line.
:flyers

3. Phoenix Coyotes : Patrick Kane. The Coyotes will regret passing on Patrick Kane, With the strong drafting former GM Michael Barnett has done in the past (Hanzal, Wheeler, Meuller and Summers) Kane will be the cherry on top as a top candidate for Rookie of the year when his time comes.
:coyotes

4. Los Angeles Kings : Jakub Voracek. QMJHL rookie of the year is one accomplishment completed by Voracek, also making the first all-star team. Dean Lombardi will be pleased by this kids talent, he is at a reasonable size and a good speed, a great kid with scoring ability and tons of grit.
:kings

5. Washington Capitals : Alexei Cherepanov. Cherepanov may never come to North America, but if hes being offered to play with Alexander Ovechkin, his thoughts may turn completley, Two of Russias Three best players under 24 on the same team will wreak havoc. Cherepanov and Ovechkin make a great powerplay duo and thats just what George McPhee is looking for.
:caps

6. Edmonton Oilers : Karl Alzner. A WHL player is what the Oilers want, Alzner plays stronger defense than some defensman in the NHL and a blinding slapshot is Oiler material where they have holes to fill on defense.
:edmonton

7. Columbus Blue Jackets : Sam Gagner. Last Year when Gagner played with the Sioux City Musketeers, Blue Jackets scouted him then also, they wanted a sneak peak on what Dave Gagners son is really about. Now they get a strong player who has gained confidence with playing with two of the OHL's best players Sergei Kostitsyn and Patrick Kane. Howson will be congratulated by the NHL for making such a strong pick as a new GM.
:cbj

8. Boston Bruins : Keaton Ellerby. The Bruins don't really want him to slip any more so they'll get the chance to boost up their defensive prospect system. He helped the Blazers conquer through the WHL with help from Colorado Avalanche prospect Raymond Macias. A great defensive frame and good overall defensive potential, Ellerby is their man.
:bruins

9. St. Louis Blues : David Perron. As the strongest team in the QMJHL, Perron was a key contribution to this team. As they just couldn't get things right at the Memorial Cup, Clement Jodoin was an impact on this guy's condition and if he ever wins a trophy or makes an all-star team, he can thank Jodoin.
:blues

10. Florida Panthers : Angelo Esposito. Just cracking the top ten ISS had ranked him No.1 after having an unbelievable first half of the QMJHL with 51 points, the only problem was the second half, only tallying 28 points. A dissapointment for coach Patrick Roy he said it was all natural. Esposito still has the potenital of a grade A hockey player.
:panthers

Comments?

top 20 coming at 12:00 ET

Last edited:

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
personally, I feel Columbus would lean more towards taking Ellerby over Gagner, only because they have 2 centers with amazing potential already, but they have very little depth on D.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
personally, I feel Columbus would lean more towards taking Ellerby over Gagner, only because they have 2 centers with amazing potential already, but they have very little depth on D.

I disagree in every manner. I really think we'd take the BPA. In my opinion, Kane, Gagner, JVR, Voracek, Turris, and Alzner are the best six in the draft. I'd be happy with any one of them. I'm really against Ellerby. I don't have any faith in his abilities. He's just so freaking raw. If we're taking a defenseman, we'll probably move down and still get a guy like McDonagh or Petrecki while picking up something extra. That's just my two cents. A huge pass on Ellerby in every form.

Masterplan*

The Flyers will take Turris or Kane nobody else, period.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I had originally posted a mock draft regarding GM's but I started too late. So just before draft day on Friday, I'll post the top 60 and why the team drafted this player
Here are the first 30. 31-60 posted tomorrow.

1. Chicago Blackhawks : Kyle Turris. The Blackhawks choose Turris because they aren’t keen on drafting CHLer’s because Cam Barker selected 3 Years Ago still hasn't developped into a strong NHLer, and picks below him have. Also Turris is a very good skater and has great scoring ability and GM Dale Tallon believes him and Jonathan Toews will soon be the best players in the NHL.
:hawks

1) Ok he may not be a 'strong' NHLer but he held his own as a 20 year old defense men in the NHL and was at worst average. I'm confused why people think that Barker just because he didn't set the world alight as soon as he stepped onto NHL ice as a 20 year old makes him a failure?

2) Even if Chicago see Barker as a failure you really think they're going to use that as a reason to not select Kane? Hundreds of NHlers came through the OHL.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I think David Perron is a stretch there...to me, it seems he goes between 15-35. 9th is a stretch...

I also find funny the erason why the blackhawks select Turris. :P I agree they have a good chance of picking turris, but it's certainly not because they don't have faith in the (whole) CHL because (one) Cam Barker didn't develop as expected (yet).

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Picks 11-20

11. Carolina Hurricanes : Ryan McDonagh. The Hurricanes are in need of a stablized defense, Which they don't have and the reason they arent that good the year after winning the stanley cup. McDonagh can make a stable defense after being trained offensely at Cretin-Derham HS in Minny.
:canes

12. Montreal Canadiens : Zach Hamill. Fans were absolutely pissed after losing 6-5 to Toronto in a huge thriller. Its safe to say Michael Ryder worked 99% of that game, Huet got a save of two, give him the other 1%. In huge games like that, Zach Hamill is known to step up. For all of you die-hard Canadian fans, Hamill is a pick you wont be dissapointed with.
:habs

13. Toronto Maple Leafs : Nick Petricki. With fear of losing Bryan McCabe this summer, Toronto can take no risks, Which involves drafting a defenseman, There is Petricki a great underrated defenseman out of Omaha in the USHL who stands out completley to Toronto, The young American may not be happy with Canada (loser), but the Leafs will make him feel at home.
:leafs

14. Colorado Avalanche : Bill Sweatt. Missing the playoffs this year was tough for Joe Sakic. Nobody on the team understood why they didn't but then Joel Quenneville said "Boys, We're in the wild, wild west." They all agreed. Billy Sweatt may not be in the NHL for maybe 2 or 3 years, but when he does arrive Colorado will be in for a rude awakeaning, he can freakin fly. But his scoring ability could use work.
:avs

15. Edmonton Oilers : Jonathan Blum.
For the second time the first round they draft a great defenseman, two of the WHL's All-star now belong to the Edmonton Oilers, Blum has all the Oilers needs and wants. Blum-Alzner think of that amazing line of defense. Oilers have two new Penalty Kill sheriffs in town.

16. Anaheim Ducks : Maxim Mayorov. Anaheim doesn't really need anything else, but Teemu Selanne is most likely gone. So Mayorov, who may not come to the NHL for awhile, maybe even never. Its a good bet, if he was North American he'd be ranked up there with Voracek and Alzner, Burke thinks Mayorov can grow to be stronger and a better player.
:ducks

17. New York Rangers : Brandon Sutter.
New York had a fantastic chance to win the cup this year with their stacked team. One problem, they played the Sabres. They needed one thing, an offensive beast to shut down the defenseman on the powerplay. Brett Sutter made sure his son did that this year in Red Deer. He will be a good fit in the Big Apple according to GM Glen Sather.
:rangers

18. Calgary Flames : Alex Plante. I'm guessing Calgary needs defesne for the future to play with Matt Pelech. The hometown hero is a great choice for the Flames, who have taken an early exit in the playoffs for the past two years. They need a boost, they're on their third coach in three years, Plante may be avaiable in 08-09.
:flames

19. Minneosta Wild : Joakim Andersson. The most successful team at drafting Europeans will try again to build thier successful future team, which already involves Benoit Pouliot and James Sheppard.
:wild

20. Pittsburgh Penguins : Kevin Shattenkirk. The first time in 5 years the Penguins havent drafted int the top 5. After a successful season with Sid and the Gang, they'll add depth to the blueline, Shattenkirk. they do have Kris Letang, Alex Goligoski and Carl Sneep but still, theyre good with forwards for at least another year. They wouldve gone For a goalie but they liked Shattenkirk more.
:pens

Last edited:

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
1) Ok he may not be a 'strong' NHLer but he held his own as a 20 year old defense men in the NHL and was at worst average. I'm confused why people think that Barker just because he didn't set the world alight as soon as he stepped onto NHL ice as a 20 year old makes him a failure?

2) Even if Chicago see Barker as a failure you really think they're going to use that as a reason to not select Kane? Hundreds of NHlers came through the OHL.

Barker has upset Tallon in training camp and during the season, i wouldnt be surprised if he was traded before next year.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Barker has upset Tallon in training camp and during the season, i wouldnt be surprised if he was traded before next year.

link? Even if that is true do you think Tallon is stupid enough to let one bad experience sour him to a whole league? More NHLers have come out of the OHL than the BCHL.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
link? Even if that is true do you think Tallon is stupid enough to let one bad experience sour him to a whole league? More NHLers have come out of the OHL than the BCHL.

of course thats a given, but its more sense to draft turris, kane may be 1 ranked by everyone but ISS but oh well, Kyle turris is ranked 1st in some of the finest mock drafts around (TSN, ESPN, Sportcenter)

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Anyway, picks 21-30

21. Phoenix Coyotes : Oscar Moller. Oscar Moller is a good fit in the desert. Gretzky likes the look of the young Chilliwack Bruin. Moller will standout in an already stacked future Coyotes team.

22. Montreal Canadians : Lars Eller. The habs have drafted the WHL's Leading Man, now an import from Denmark. Eller was part of the Vasta Frolunda Jr. Team along with 4 other NHL elgibles including Joakim Andersson of Minnesota. Eller is a highlight reel kind of guy and the Habs will gain dominance with him on our side.

ill finish later tonight

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
12. Montreal Canadians : Zach Hamill. Fans were absolutely pissed after losing 6-5 to Toronto in a huge thriller. Its safe to say Michael Ryder worked 99% of that game, Aebischer got a save of two, give him the other 1%. In huge games like that, Zach Hamill is known to step up. For all of you die-hard Canadian fans, Hamill is a pick you wont be dissapointed with.

Huet played that game, and it's "Canadiens" for the record.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sold on the Leafs pick. There shouldn't be any fear of losing McCabe since he's got a NMC and they can just not trade him. Plus interviews recently have said he hasn't been approached to waive it so if that's the main reasoning I don't think it'll happen. If Couture, Backlund, and Eller are all still on the board no way do they let them pass.

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
I dont agree on many things, but this draft is a total crapshoot anything can happen! Good job.

I'm currently going a 2 rounds mock draft and i cant wait to see half the board being mad at me :D

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
14. Colorado Avalanche : Bill Sweatt. Missing the playoffs this year was tough for Joe Sakic. Nobody on the team understood why they didn't but then Joel Quenneville said "Boys, We're in the wild, wild west." They all agreed. Billy Sweatt may not be in the NHL for maybe 2 or 3 years, but when he does arrive Colorado will be in for a rude awakeaning, he can freakin fly. But his scoring ability could use work.

Are people just really NOT paying attention to what Billy did at CC this year? The kid averages about a point per game and that still isn't enough! Next time I talk to Billy, I'll be sure to tell him that if he's not breaking the 100 or 200 point per season plateau at CC then he'll be considered a bust (insert sarcasm here). :shakehead

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
of course thats a given, but its more sense to draft turris, kane may be 1 ranked by everyone but ISS but oh well, Kyle turris is ranked 1st in some of the finest mock drafts around (TSN, ESPN, Sportcenter)

Kane was ranked #1 at ESPN. Oh and if you look at the column for Kane he is rated #1 skater he was just picked 2nd because Maclean is an idiot. Whereas Turris is ranked #3 by TSN. Kane also went #1 in the RLR mock, the SI mock and foxsports mock.

Mckenzie's analysis of the mock draft.

It didn't take mock Chicago GM Doug MacLean long to turn heads with the first pick of the 2007 TSN mock draft. His selection of Kyle Turris, over the expected choice of Pat Kane, makes me wonder if he might be the first NHL GM fired twice in the same season.

Just kidding.

Turris, as the No. 1 pick, is not off the wall. There are NHL teams, more than a couple, that believe Turris is the top prospect in this year's draft, but the majority of teams will tell you Kane is No. 1. Kane excelled at the World Junior Championship while Turris was just okay at two U-18 events and there is a big difference between the two. Kane lit up the OHL; Turris tore apart the B.C. Jr. A league. There isn't a huge amount to choose between the two, but most scouts would give the edge to Kane

RANKINGS for Kane
TSN: 1
CSB: 2 NA
ISS: 1
RLR: 1
THN: 1

RANKINGS for Turris
TSN: 3
CSB: 1 NA
ISS: 3
RLR: 3
THN: 3

Oh and i'm still waiting for a link to that Barker story.

Last edited:

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Kane was ranked #1 at ESPN. Oh and if you look at the column for Kane he is rated #1 skater he was just picked 2nd because Maclean is an idiot. Whereas Turris is ranked #3 by TSN. Kane also went #1 in the RLR mock, the SI mock and foxsports mock.

Mckenzie's analysis of the mock draft.

It didn't take mock Chicago GM Doug MacLean long to turn heads with the first pick of the 2007 TSN mock draft. His selection of Kyle Turris, over the expected choice of Pat Kane, makes me wonder if he might be the first NHL GM fired twice in the same season.

Just kidding.

Turris, as the No. 1 pick, is not off the wall. There are NHL teams, more than a couple, that believe Turris is the top prospect in this year's draft, but the majority of teams will tell you Kane is No. 1. Kane excelled at the World Junior Championship while Turris was just okay at two U-18 events and there is a big difference between the two. Kane lit up the OHL; Turris tore apart the B.C. Jr. A league. There isn't a huge amount to choose between the two, but most scouts would give the edge to Kane

RANKINGS for Kane
TSN: 1
CSB: 2 NA
ISS: 1
RLR: 1
THN: 1

RANKINGS for Turris
TSN: 3
CSB: 1 NA
ISS: 3
RLR: 3
THN: 3

Oh and i'm still waiting for a link to that Barker story.

Ok, Zim, youre doing everything in your power to prove that Kane should go first, oh well, dont trust my mock draft then. It's just for fun, anyway

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I decided just to do top 30...

23. Nashville Predators Logan Couture. A steal in the first round, This guy suits the Predators, he has the potential which David Poile looks for and hes also a fantastic skater, Couture will fit into a team in need of some good talent.
:nashville

24. St. Louis Blues : Max Pacioretty. After drafting a dark horse (Perron) earlier, the Blues will go a little safer here drafting Pacioretty. He is a very well-talented player that the Blues could really use.

25. Vancouver Canucks : Brett MacLean. The Nucks need scoring in the worst ways. We think adding a guy who smashed his career totals this year will fit in perfectly with us. When he leaves Oshawa, he may miss Tavares, but he'll have the Sedin's.
:nucks

26. St. Louis Blues : Tommy Cross. The Blues have a poor history of drafting defenseman. Tommy Cross is no dissapointment, The young D-man from Simsbury, CT lead his high school in Assists, Points, Plus/Minus and Ice Time. He's an overall strong guy and the Blues need that.

27. Detroit Red Wings : T.J. Brennan. This young defenseman is one of the most underrated defenseman in the Draft this year. As the QMJHL Defeseman rookie of the year, Brennan scored 39 points with a weak Fog Devils team. Brennan brings leadership to Detroit and more stabilized defense.
:wings

28. Washington Capitals : Thomas Hickey. What the Capitals are missing is offensive D-men. Right now, they have no defenseman with over 7 goals. George McPhee thinks Hickey could produce a 15-20 goal season here or there. A safe pick for the undergrad Capitals.
:caps

29. Ottawa Senators : Logan MacMillan. The Sens were smashed in the 2007 Stanley Cup Final, which goes to show they need more offense becuase in that series they only scored 11 goals. MacMillan had a great season with the QMJHL's Mooseheads. His Dad Bob (former NHler) taught him what he needs to know to be a successful NHLer, Ottawa stays safe with this pick.
:sens

30. Edmonton Oilers : Michal Repik. Already drafting two premier defenseman, the Oil will pick a forward who thrived at the memorial cup. Repik is a strong player who had a great year in Vancouver, The Canucks would've drafted him in the second round, but Lowe has conquered with this pick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
3. Phoenix Coyotes : Patrick Kane. The Coyotes will regret passing on Patrick Kane, With the strong drafting former GM Michael Barnett has done in the past (Hanzal, Wheeler, Meuller and Summers) Kane will be the cherry on top as a top candidate for Rookie of the year when his time comes.

21. Phoenix Coyotes : Oscar Moller. Oscar Moller is a good fit in the desert. Gretzky likes the look of the young Chilliwack Bruin. Moller will standout in an already stacked future Coyotes team.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

May 23, 2007
Calgary
26. St. Louis Blues : Tommy Cross. The Blues have a poor history of drafting defenseman. Tommy Cross is no dissapointment, The young D-man from Simsbury, CT lead his high school in Assists, Points, Plus/Minus and Ice Time. He's an overall strong guy and the Blues need that.

Yeah...um....you know last year? When they drafted Erik Johnson?
I think thier poor history of drafting defencemen were over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad