NHL doctor and the release of new concussion e-mails

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm the exact opposite. I think Bettman gets a lot of heat for stuff that isn't his fault. This is definitely a case where Bettman deserves a lot of criticism.

Doing his job means protecting business over the health and well being of its employees. I think most people would find this objectionable in any other context, but it's hockey so... cool I guess?

He can take care to try and minimize the league's exposure to bad press and lawsuits, while doing nothing to detract from appropriate medical decision-making. Maybe inartfully worded, but it wasn't in a context expected to be consumed publicly (he had an expectation of a private informal message when it was composed). If he perceives someone sensationalizing concussion history for personal profit, at the expense of the league's good name....seems appropriate to gently discourage that. (I'm not judging the content of the book in question, just saying if that's how Bettman perceived it, his response seems reasonable.)

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
This is a scandal. I'm surprised that no news sources are treating it as one.

If a sports media outlet tries to make an issue of it they're likely to get blackballed by the NHL. Maybe a US network like CNN will pick up the story, though, as the NHL can't hurt them.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
He can take care to try and minimize the league's exposure to bad press and lawsuits, while doing nothing to detract from appropriate medical decision-making. Maybe inartfully worded, but it wasn't in a context expected to be consumed publicly (he had an expectation of a private informal message when it was composed). If he perceives someone sensationalizing concussion history for personal profit, at the expense of the league's good name....seems appropriate to gently discourage that. (I'm not judging the content of the book in question, just saying if that's how Bettman perceived it, his response seems reasonable.)

He doesn't just want to avoid "bad press," he wants to avoid the debate full stop. Bettman has no medical expertise, he just wants experts to stop talking about this whole concussion thing. You're right, he does want to minimize bad press/lawsuits... because he's in the business of maximizing profits for the league. But again... this is at the expense of the health of its employees. You're also right that this wasn't mean to be seen publicly... but that's more because this would be bad PR than anything else.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The funny thing is BOTH the NHL's and NFL's flawed logic that they have to side with, (and protect) the violence of their games in preference to their players' health and well being. Trust me, you have entertaining hockey without violence and the risk of serious head trauma. You certainly can't have a healthy league where your best players are consistently injured from cheap shots.

The NHL and NFL are nothing without healthy, skilled players, yet both have acted so negligent and "big tobacco" like towards the foundation of their businesses. ex-NHL players deserve billions too and this is the "info payday" that will probably give it to them.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
The funny thing is BOTH the NHL's and NFL's flawed logic that they have to side with, (and protect) the violence of their games in preference to their players' health and well being. Trust me, you have entertaining hockey without violence and the risk of serious head trauma. You certainly can't have a healthy league where your best players are consistently injured from cheap shots.

The NHL and NFL are nothing without healthy, skilled players, yet both have acted so negligent and "big tobacco" like towards the foundation of their businesses. ex-NHL players deserve billions too and this is the "info payday" that will probably give it to them.

It's kind of a lose/lose situation for the league. I mean, just look at all the fans on here who start complaining about the "no hit league" the second the league actually shows a backbone. There's a bit of a thirst for blood among hockey fans.

To me it's more of an ethical question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad