NHL doctor and the release of new concussion e-mails

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
"Maybe he should understand it’s not nice to bite the hand that feeds you"
"Don’t want to hurt him – maybe just get his attention. This campaign, his book – somewhat delusional."

Bettman with no filter :amazed:

Wasn't there a website that you could search emails between Daley and guys like Friedman? I recall concussion and illegal hit discussions in those. Everyone was thrashing Daley because he writes emails like a toddler

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not a good look Gary..

Fraser sent an email to a group of 39 medical researchers on March 1, 2011, including Dr. Echemendia. Fraser included a link to a video of the incident on TSN’s website.

“You will see the hit and then you can judge as to whether a ‘fine’ was warranted? You make the call,†Fraser wrote.

Dr. Echemendia forwarded Fraser’s email to Grand and Daly.

“FYI see below the kinds of emails that Kerry Fraser is circulating,†Dr. Echemendia wrote.

Daly forwarded the email string to commissioner Gary Bettman.

“I’m not sure there is anything we can or should be doing, but I wanted you to be aware,†Daly wrote.

“Are we still paying him anything?†Bettman asked in reply.

“Yes, his severance,†Daly answered. “But I’m not sure we can stop paying him for expressing views critical of the League.â€

“It wouldn’t be nice but maybe he should understand it’s not nice to bite the hand that feeds you,†Bettman wrote. “Please have someone check to see if there are any grounds to withhold. Don’t want to hurt him – maybe just get his attentin. This campaign, his book – somewhat delusional.â€

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Always illuminating.

“I am once again disappointed in my colleagues in the [National Hockey League Team Physicians Society],†the doctor wrote in an email to Dr. Willem Meeuwisse, a Calgary-based member of the NHL’s Concussion Working Group. “We all sit around and talk and talk about concussion management. Then it’s the playoffs, someone suffers an obvious loss of consciousness and is back playing in less than 48 hours.
“This same Chicago player was hit hard again today and was unable to continue in the game. Another example of situational ethics. Our only job is to protect the players from harm including when the player is ‘clearing’ himself to play. We must be their advocate regardless of what the coach or general manager thinks.â€

And this is why what teams say about players and concussions still does not deserve to be taken seriously. See what happened with Ekblad recently. All of the Florida fans on this board knew he had no business being back, then within a week he's out of the lineup again with a "sore neck," "headaches," and Rowe publicly admits he screwed up and rushed Ekblad back.

“The media is at a hysterical period on this subject,†Bettman is quoted as saying. “It’s a combination of concussions, the NFL news, the Parros situation and the Emery situation. We need to push back a bit on what is being written on it. We should not have this debate publicly whether you support it or not. You can do what you want but it is being made more important than it is. Ken Dryden’s book and Bobby Orr’s books come out with conflicting views. Having this public debate is not good. Please don’t speak to the media about it. Helping the media with the controversy of the issue doesn’t help things.â€

I find this disappointing. Expected, of course, but the NHL should not be running away from debates like this.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Good for Kerry Fraser!! He's more then just a head of perfect hair.

Confirmed what we've known for years. Gary Bettman is a blood-sucking lawyer without a drop of compassion in his body.

Last edited:

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Good grief, this doesn't look good at all.

“The media is at a hysterical period on this subject,†Bettman is quoted as saying. “It’s a combination of concussions, the NFL news, the Parros situation and the Emery situation. We need to push back a bit on what is being written on it. We should not have this debate publicly whether you support it or not. You can do what you want but it is being made more important than it is. Ken Dryden’s book and Bobby Orr’s books come out with conflicting views. Having this public debate is not good. Please don’t speak to the media about it. Helping the media with the controversy of the issue doesn’t help things.â€

Later in the meeting, San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson asks for guidance if media ask about fighting.

“The consensus right now is status quo,†Bettman is quoted as answering. “If media asks about this, deflect the question. Tell them we are having a great season and we will continue to look into issues that come up in the futre.â€

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds more like Bettman is taking a safe, legal approach to this so he doesn't open up the NHL to lawsuits. It's not like he's saying the entire issue needs to be ignored and covered up.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Every hockey fan who saw Havlat get knocked out knew he shouldn't be playing the next game. We laud Paul Kariya because he got knocked out & came back to score the OT winner in the same game but he should never have been playing by that point either.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The low point for me was when the NHL's lawyer insisted that former players weren't writing the op-eds about concussions credited to them because their brains were too messed up to be capable of writing them. After that, things like this seem tame.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I was shocked myself that Havlat was playing the next game after being knocked out with his eyes open the game before.

He wasn't all there that game and surely had alot to do with him being knocked around again.

This is horrible. The fact this was released is riveting.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The word 'scum bag' is thrown around a lot these days...

Can't wait until Bettman's finally toxic enough to get fired. Maybe then the NHL can have functional CBA negotiations like every sport does.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
You don't find yourself in a position like Bettman's if you care more about people than money.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
You don't find yourself in a position like Bettman's if you care more about people than money.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver is pretty universally loved by basketball players. You can be a sports commissioner without being a scum bag sociopath lacking empathy.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The league's counsel must be feeling confident the law is on their side in allowing this suit to reach discovery, because these emails do not paint the league in a good light.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I'm not a huge fan of Bettman, but its sounds to me like he is simply doing his job in these exchanges.

I'm the exact opposite. I think Bettman gets a lot of heat for stuff that isn't his fault. This is definitely a case where Bettman deserves a lot of criticism.

Doing his job means protecting business over the health and well being of its employees. I think most people would find this objectionable in any other context, but it's hockey so... cool I guess?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad