NHL COVID player testing updates- JUL 27th Update. No new cases recorded. Total still 45

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The lasting impact on next year is going to be big regardless of what they decide to do with this season. If they cancel this year, that's going to be an absolutely massive financial impact on the cap going forward, and it won't start any earlier without finishing this year than it would with finishing this year.
Yes it could. They could start the season as normal in October just potentially without fans.

Either way this playoffs going to be a big low quality, low energy joke of a playoffs anyways.

From the laughable playin round, to the draft lotto, to the quality of games due to so many factors (no fans, no energy in the rink, terrible ice from hot temps and tons of games). Add in the fact that the tv ratings will be astronomically low in the states with them trying to compete with basketball, baseball AND football starting in October. The whole thing has been a mess and a bad idea.

They are going to lose all that money anyways cause zero chance something doesn't happen to screw the whole thing over, especially with their obsession with going to a Covid hotbed in Vegas

Reactions: robertocarlos

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I would like to think, by the time the groups of 50, from the teams are decided, they get locked away completely.
These 50 people, are the only 50 people they will be with, for their time in the post-season. Officials too will have
their own group, and people like Zamboni drivers, caterers and cleaners, all will have to be tested, possibly daily.
These players who aren't part of the group of 50, can call, email or text, but no contact.

Any entertainment options which would be available, would then have to be closed for the day, and all staff would have to
be tested or deemed not essential.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yes it could. They could start the season as normal in October just potentially without fans.

Either way this playoffs going to be a big low quality, low energy joke of a playoffs anyways.

From the laughable playin round, to the draft lotto, to the quality of games due to so many factors (no fans, no energy in the rink, terrible ice from hot temps and tons of games). Add in the fact that the tv ratings will be astronomically low in the states with them trying to compete with basketball, baseball AND football starting in October. The whole thing has been a mess and a bad idea.

They are going to lose all that money anyways cause zero chance something doesn't happen to screw the whole thing over, especially with their obsession with going to a Covid hotbed in Vegas
probably, but the NHL won't have to lose money to the networks.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
probably, but the NHL won't have to lose money to the networks.
For the league and the NHLPA completing this season is all about money. If they wanted to play in the safest areas would Vegas and Toronto be chosen over Vancouver and Edmonton as hubs?

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Did any GMs send care packages to training facilities after the Phase 1 draft lottery?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

What's funny is that you're saying that the NHL should cancel this season because it's going to "impact future seasons", but you then follow it up with a bunch of "I won't like it so they should get rid of it!" nonsense.

If the NHL cancels this year, they're going to lose a ton of money, which is going to have catastrophic impacts to the cap going forward. That alone is enough of a justification for trying to return to play. You thinking the games will be bad, the draft lottery was laughable or the TV ratings will be low (which is bullshit but whatever) is completely irrelevant to that. You thinking it's a bad idea and the product will b ebad is irrelevant of the actual pros and cons of the comeback.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Bundesliga was not put on hold because of this. It started at the planned time despite those cases.
Which is exactly why the NHL and NHLPA will only choose hub cities that allow them full control over the consequences to positive Covid 19 tests. If a local health authority doesn’t give in to the league’s demands for total control, that city will not be chosen. The league will, therefore, play all these planned playoff games, and have a 2020 Cup winner. The winning team though might only have won because they had fewer Covid I’ll players.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Freak out when they have 10% inside the bubble. I can't imagine anything pre-bubble will force them to stop.

Honestly, having 10% before they go into the bubble isn't great at all. All the bubble is going to do is keep everything insulated, and in an ideal state, you don't allow anyone in that actually has it. To have 10% already impacted before you're even trying to bubble-up doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that the bubble is going to do anything but create a petri dish of athletes where this thing will spread like wildfire, much like you're seeing in places like Myrtle Beach SC, because it certainly looks like its rampant enough to find its way in.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honestly, having 10% before they go into the bubble isn't great at all. All the bubble is going to do is keep everything insulated, and in an ideal state, you don't allow anyone in that actually has it. To have 10% already impacted before you're even trying to bubble-up doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that the bubble is going to do anything but create a petri dish of athletes where this thing will spread like wildfire, much like you're seeing in places like Myrtle Beach SC, because it certainly looks like its rampant enough to find its way in.
This hasn't happened in any league that's returned.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I know. The provincial health authority, led by dr. Henry, wouldn’t give in to the NHL demands of controlling the consequences to positive Covid tests. Like I previously stated, the NHL will only choose hub cities that give in to their demands for control of the consequences to Covid 19 positive tests. Vegas will do that, plus provide a very lucrative monetary component. And it seems like the Ontario health authority will cave in to the league’s demands too. Which is very sad, considering the already terrible impact on that Province’s population, especially the elderly in care.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

If that 10% has already gotten over the illness, why would it become a petri dish?

The idea would be that COVID-19 runs its course by the time training camps open back up, where there are only people who never got it or have gotten over it. Once you close the bubble, the players can't get the illness from someone else inside the bubble. The risk is whether the NHL can weed out every person who has COVID-19 before letting them in the bubble. If they close the bubble with 0 cases, and require the people with cases to get healthy before they can get in the bubble, there is no risk there.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Excellent post. Every person in the bubble should be Covid free (medically clear to be unable to transmit the virus) before entering the bubble.

Reactions: Advanced stats

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
For the league and the NHLPA completing this season is all about money. If they wanted to play in the safest areas would Vegas and Toronto be chosen over Vancouver and Edmonton as hubs?

Well, they wanted Vancouver but they couldn't reach an agreement with health officials there. Edmonton is still in the running.

Vegas, I believe, is favored because it's an easier bubble to create. Also, I believe the hotel being offered is a suites only hotel. And I saw somewhere that there was a concern from the players that Edmonton simply did not have enough high end hotel rooms, but I could be wrong about that.

Can you explain to me how the league will be making more money by playing in Vegas and Toronto. Is it that you think Vegas and Toronto are offering the best prices?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People act as though we'll never have sports ever again but bars are still packed all over the country.

There's a hierarchy here and you're looking at it upside down.

Reactions: The Electrician

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What's funny is that you're saying that the NHL should cancel this season because it's going to "impact future seasons", but you then follow it up with a bunch of "I won't like it so they should get rid of it!" nonsense.

If the NHL cancels this year, they're going to lose a ton of money, which is going to have catastrophic impacts to the cap going forward. That alone is enough of a justification for trying to return to play. You thinking the games will be bad, the draft lottery was laughable or the TV ratings will be low (which is bullshit but whatever) is completely irrelevant to that. You thinking it's a bad idea and the product will b ebad is irrelevant of the actual pros and cons of the comeback.
The only pros is it saves the owners money. That's it

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not versus say... European football.

The Premier league, in the worst affected country in Europe?

18 positive tests.
In TEN rounds of testing.
With 1,800 or so players and staff tested.

1/100 positive.

Not 1/10.
Are you able to post information about if any of the player positive tests resulted in said player missing more than 14 days of play? Do we have any data on the positive players from those two soccer leagues on that? I’ve Googled, but can’t find anything that specific.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad