"NHL Contraction Draft" Discussion Thread

rock45

Jan 7, 2009
Yo man I think this is a great idea and would make the other 26 teams more offensive and defensively. And I think it should be 26 teams not 28.

1) New York Rangers
2) New York Islanders
3) New Jersey Devils

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Thanks everyone.

Please also be very mindful that the purpose of this draft is to put together the absolute best, and well rounded teams. That means, selecting players who will be great defensive players, checkers, agitators, penalty killers, etc... just as if you were the real GM of a real NHL team. The purpose is to simply get as accurate a picture of what a real 26 team NHL would look like, put together by real GMs.

We still need a few more people, so don't be shy!

We'll start this soon!

Last edited:

MrAlfie

If the New York State team is not available you can assign me to any team BUT the Devils or the Penguins.
So I repeat, do NOT assign me to the Devils or the Penguins.

johnnydollaz89*

you should get an updated list of people signed up so we know how many we have

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sounds like an interesting idea, would love to be part of this.

If there are any teams left over feel free to toss them my way!

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Ok, here are the list of teams. If anyone wants to switch or sit out, let me know. Here it is for now, and when everything is finalized (i.e. if no one drops out, objects, etc.), we will arrange to get started. Sorry to those that I had to assign to random teams.

East:

1) Atlanta -- StanleyCuporBust
2) Boston Bruins -- TheBigTicket
3) Buffalo Sabres – kpatterson14206
4) Carolina Hurricanes – Tarheelhockey
5) Florida "Lightening"(TB+FL) -- KittysGotClaws
6) Montreal Canadiens -- Mr.Alfie
7) New Jersey Devils – rock45
8) New York State (Islanders+Rangers) – Sting36e
9) Ottawa Senators -- tony d
10) Philladelphia Flyers -- PycckuuRocket10
11) Pittsburgh Penguins -- jmelm
12) Toronto Maple Leafs -- intact
13) Washington Capitals -- Wraparounds

West:

1) Alberta OilFlames (CGY+EDM) -- BozaktoKessel
2) Chicago Blackhawks -- Fitzy Duke of NY
3) Colorado Avalanche -- TOOMUCHBREWER
4) Columbus Blue Jackets – Wintersiziz77
5) Dallas -- Leafs4life1996
6) Detroit –Zetterberg Zeppelin
7) Los Angeles DuckKings (LA+ANA) – King Canuck
8) Minnesota Wild -- Pitt's Best #87 #66
9) Nashville Predators -- stempniaksen
10) Phoenix Coyotes -- Hale The Villain
11) San Jose Sharks -- CooperDean
12) St. Louis Blues – johnnydollaz89
13) Vancouver Canucks – nucksfan8888

Last edited:

MrAlfie

Is there a reason why I'm not in? I was one of the very first to express that I'd like to join.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Drafting Process

Hey guys,

So what I am thinking is this:

We do a snake-order for the first 2, 4 or 6 rounds (i.e. 1 through 26, then 26 through 1), but thereafter we should go back to regular order draft order.

The only thing I don't love about the snake order is that for some, it takes forever for your next pick to occur; but I do think it is fair to do early on to make things fair.

Anyway, please let me know your suggestions as I am open to all ideas.

Also, for those who have been listed as GMs, please confirm to me by posting here or PM that you are in.

scrappylilnobody

Feb 11, 2006
Hey guys,

So what I am thinking is this:

We do a snake-order for the first 2, 4 or 6 rounds (i.e. 1 through 26, then 26 through 1), but thereafter we should go back to regular order draft order.

The only thing I don't love about the snake order is that for some, it takes forever for your next pick to occur; but I do think it is fair to do early on to make things fair.

Anyway, please let me know your suggestions as I am open to all ideas.

Also, for those who have been listed as GMs, please confirm to me by posting here or PM that you are in.

I would snake the whole draft but if not then I would at least snake the first ten rounds or so. It wouldn't necessarily be fair for the one team to pick last after four or five rounds. There will still be a good amount of decent players around.

As for the prospect draft, I assume we are going to do a snake also but maybe in reverse order of the player draft? Maybe we could do them both at the same time (in different threads) to keep people interested?

Just throwing ideas out there.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Confirmation.

I think snake the whole way is the most fair method since nobody will have a best team coming into this. Whatever everyone decides is fine by me though.

Mr Pipe

Mar 1, 2008
Thanks for giving me Detroit, lol. In response to your PM, yeah I can still participate. Sounds like fun.

TheBigTicket

Aug 18, 2010
confirmation for Boston. i think we should do snake for at least 10 round if not more but its not really a big deal. i guess see what other ppl think

member 30781

I say do a snake draft for the entire draft. That's just me though. I find it to be the most fair way to go about it.

johnnydollaz89*

snake draft for the entire draft no reason to change half way through doesnt make sense and also for the prospect draft that should be determined by voting for the order then that will not be a snake draft just regular 1-26 then same for the next rounds and as for that draft thats only 2010 draft prospects right? or are guys like Seguin, Fowler, Burmistrov, Hall eligible for the team draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad