NHL Combine

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So basically draft combine is a bunch of physical exercises, right? What's the reason for it if some players are not fully physically developed? I mean it is logical to draft the one having best production on ice and worst results on the combine, no?

Doesn’t matter if they aren’t physically developed. A less developed 17 year old is still going to have tells about their dedication to conditioning via the conditioning exercises. That’s arguably more useful than what an individual can do as far as PRs go. And teams of course are going to take into account whether or not a guy is physically mature and adjust expectations or only compare their stats to other physically immature peers.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
  • June 4: Arrivals
  • June 5-9: All 32 NHL teams are eligible to meet one-one-one with the players
  • June 7: Medical examinations are to be held at KeyBank Center
  • June 9: Media availabilities are to be held at 4:30 p.m. ET
  • June 10: Physical evaluations begin

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

Combine Measurement are public

Bedard 5’9.75” and 185lb
Benson 5’9.75” and 170lb
Cristall 5’9.5” and 175lb

Will Smith 5’11.75” and 180lb
Ryan Leonard 5’11.75 and 190lb
Gabe Perrault 5’10.75” and 163lb
Sandin Pelikka 5’11 and 180lb

Haltunnen and Danny Nelson are absolute units;
Kasper 6’3.25” and 215 lb
Danny 6’3” and 212 lb

Last edited:

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Hrabal coming in at 6’7 and 3/4… holy f***.

Oliver Moore has gotten up to 195 lbs, damn that kid has been working.

Dvorak at 6’5” 210 lbs… could see Detroit being high on bat kid. Their type of defenseman.
Yeah Moore 5’11 195 is unreal. Moving that well at that size is wild to me. Same weight as Barlow but an inch and a half shorter

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Willander, Reinbacher, ASP, Stennberg and Edstrom scoring pretty well in the top 25 in most categories.

Benson, Barlow, Gauthier and Cam Allen had decent scores from the CHL. Lardis is a monster.

Perron, Danielson, Stramel, Brindley , Leonard and Moore all scored pretty strong in many categories as well. Hrabal is a freak. Get him please.

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Hrabal coming in at 6’7 and 3/4… holy f***.

Oliver Moore has gotten up to 195 lbs, damn that kid has been working.

Dvorak at 6’5” 210 lbs… could see Detroit being high on bat kid. Their type of defenseman.
Good call on Dvorak, just what Detroit needs a Left Shot Defensmen :rolleyes:

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Good call on Dvorak, just what Detroit needs a Left Shot Defensmen :rolleyes:
Dvorak projects at least 3-4 years out. Not sure we have a single LHD under contract for more than 4 years (Chariot), and only Walman has 3 years. Good chance if the wings do draft Dvorak that Chariot is not even on the roster.
Also, Dvorak plays a very different game than other LHD prospects.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would draft all the physicslly weak guys who are having great seasons. It's still easiest to improve physics.

Biggest draft busts are usually guys who have had the physical edge during juniors, against those weak guys. Not much room to improve. And the edge will disappear, when they start playing against physically built men bodies.

Physically weak guys, who play well, have found a way with their skills and IQ to succeed. - - > you add the physics later on, there's the NHLr.

Only test what has been informative lately was that Seider vo2 max test, which did open things about his natural ability to play high minutes. That's a big factor for 1st defenceman, who usually are used with very high minutes.

But those kind Seider abilities are mostly useless for a small ice-time forward which will need to be more explosive type of guy. It depends of the player which natural talent is a fit for the career path. Kind of simple things to analyze, imo.

Last edited:

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I would draft all the physicslly weak guys who are having great seasons. It's still easiest to improve physics.

Biggest draft busts are usually guys who have had the physical edge during juniors. Not much room to improve.

Physically weak guys, who play well, have found a way with their skills and IQ to succeed. - - > you add the physics later on, there's the NHLr.

Only test what has been informative lately was that Seider vo2 max test, which did open things about his natural ability to play high minutes. That's a big factor for 1st defenceman, who usually are used with very high minutes.
Exactly my thoughts. But then you can get very lucky when drafting really big and mature guys. Some of those are Bertuzzis but some are Kassians though.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Honest question? Does it really matter with most of these tests? None of it is telling us whether they will be good hockey players or not at the NHL level. Like didn't Veleno do really well and he has just been ok to meh at the NHL level so far.
Zadina didn't have good testing, I still hope he gets stronger mentally and physically.
I value interviews the most, haven't heard any yet.

Reactions: 13to40

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Goalie Hrabal is 200cm tall and has Wingspan of 209,5cm ? Carey Price was once analyzed how his relatively long wingspan made him so good goaltender, so could this be same?

Tall people have generally long wingspans, but the key is to have longer wingspan than your height.

Any Mittelstadt guys who couldnt do a pull up?

I did do more pull ups than Bedard on that age.

Where's my 1st overall pick from 1995 draft.

Reactions: Killerjas

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Goalie Hrabal is 200cm tall and has Wingspan of 209,5cm ? Carey Price was once analyzed how his relatively long wingspan made him so good goaltender, so could this be same?

Tall people have generally long wingspans, but the key is to have longer wingspan than your height.

I did do more pull ups than Bedard on that age.

Where's my 1st overall pick from 1995 draft.
There comes a point where limbs are too long. It creates holes that are harder to cover. And it's harder for long limbs to move as quick as shorter ones.

Reactions: Henkka

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I’d say the VO2 stuff is the most important as it relates to hockey.

With the agility testing the second most translatable test to actual hockey.

Many star players of the past have proven upper body strength like bench press and pull ups may not be necessary for success.

Low body fat % is going to help. But as pointed out… Anyone can improve that very quickly with diet and exercise.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Biggest draft busts are usually guys who have had the physical edge during juniors, against those weak guys. Not much room to improve. And the edge will disappear, when they start playing against physically built men bodies.

But those kind Seider abilities are mostly useless for a small ice-time forward which will need to be more explosive type of guy. It depends of the player which natural talent is a fit for the career path. Kind of simple things to analyze, imo.

I don’t think that’s necessarily a good strategy. Not everyone has the same body mechanics or athletic potential. Look at Taro Hirose as a prime example. Genius level hockey IQ but unable to put on weight or get stronger and it keeps him out of the league as an every day NHLer.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad