NHL.com Trophy Tracker - Hart Trophy

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Gaudreau and McDavid's teams probably miss without them too.

Toronto still easily makes playoffs without Matthew's. He should not even be in the conversation.
So basically only players on borderline playoff teams should ever be considered for the Hart and no players from really good teams should every win it.

Man what we the media evening thinking giving it to Gretzky all those years? 🙄

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
How does Matthew's have a strong case? He is way below McDavid and Gaudreau in points...
Context. Missed games and PPG would have him right in line with McDavid in points and probably 65 goals+. 60 goals for the first time in a decade while leading in goals while missing games and doing it in ten less games than a whole regular season is a good story regardless of how you spin it. If he was healthy he was probably finishing with over 65 goals and 115-120 points. Pace should not matter but when the goal/assist numbers get that gaudy, players take notice. For me it's a three horse race between McDavid, Gaudreau and Matthews.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Your boy isn’t even on the leaderboard before “show all” LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's very idiotic to try & discredit one while pumping up your 'lil hero, whoever that is. The FACT is, there are a bunch of worthy candidates this year for the Hart, and any of them could win it and it would be justified. I have zero problem if McDavid wins it.......he's amazing. But so is Matthews. So is Josi, Huberdeau, etc. So Imma just enjoy it. And if AM wins it for scoring 60 goals even while missing 9 games, then great - I'll enjoy wiping my bum with all the idiot posts. :)

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
i think McDavid should win it but Matthews will win it. Either way both deserve it and if either wins it won’t be the worst Hart decision over the years.

I think Jonny Hockey will get a lot of votes though. His season is definitely the most in incredible, as I don’t think anyone expected a season like this from him. While we expect it from the other two.

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean, so is 120 points.

Since the 05-06 lockout there have been 5 120 point seasons and 3 60 goal seasons. McDavid's 123 points is good for third since 05-06. Matthew's 60 goals is good for second since 05-06.
Tied for second, with Stamkos.

McDavid should win as per the player's poll, which he won by a landslide, but it will be close either way.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Flames fan saying that I don't think Gaudreau has a shot nor deserves it. I think McDavid is the better player and more important to his team. I just don't see much of an argument over McDavid. And for voters who vote for most valuable to their team I think Josi and Shesterkin become obvious choices over Gaudreau as well. It's no knock on Gaudreau, team is just deeper and McDavid is a generational talent. So I could see a McDavid/Matthews/Josi nomination

Of course with everyone talking about how Gaudreau became the first player since Bossy in 1984 to put up 90 or more even strength points, greater than 60+ plus/minus, less than 30 penalty minutes and 9 or more game winning goals, maybe the media thinks they have to vote for him.

Reactions: wetcoast

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
And all that is the problem with the Hart in general, it's too narrative driven.

The REAL award is the Lindsay. the only reason the Hart gets so much talk and hype is because it is a media voted award, of course they're gonna pimp that over the Lindsay, their ego's need that to be the most important award so they pump it up as such. The players put more stock into the Lindsay as that is the one voted on by their peers, the guys they battle against every night, not a bunch of talking head clowns who can barely skate.

Nice. Matthews got that one too. :)

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad