News Article: NHL.com 30 in 30, Ranking Sabre Prospects + Projected Lines

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Ranking of Prospects: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680364&navid=DL|BUF|home
Projected Lines: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680363&navid=DL|BUF|home

1. Mikhail Grigorenko, C: A centerpiece of Buffalo's rebuild, Grigorenko is poised for a breakout season at the NHL level. The Sabres drafted the native of Khabarovsk, Russia, No. 12 in the 2012 after a season for the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League when he led all rookies in goals (40) and points (85).

Last season, after 50 points in 32 QMJHL games, Grigorenko earned a spot on Buffalo's 2012-13 opening-night roster. In 25 games, he scored a goal and had four assists playing mostly as a third- or fourth-line center. At 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, he exhibits a maturity and technical acumen well beyond his 19 years. With Buffalo's reconstituted lineup, expect to see all of Grigorenko's gifts on display on one of the Sabres' top lines this season.

2. Rasmus Ristolainen, D: Buffalo's first pick (No. 8) this summer...

NOTES: One of the biggest things to watch will be the development of forwards Grigorenko and Foligno, who should have a chance to earn consistent top-six minutes. Luke Adam had that chance two seasons ago but spent most of last season with Rochester in the American Hockey League. He's one of several forwards not listed who could make a play for a spot on the opening-night roster.

Another player to watch is Myers, who looked like a No. 1 defenseman as a rookie but whose development has stagnated. He's under contract for a long time, and the Sabres need a bounce-back season from him. Adding McBain and Tallinder should keep the team's first-round picks, Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov, developing elsewhere unless one of them has an outstanding camp.

As long as Miller is in Buffalo, he will be the No. 1 goaltender. Enroth had a great World Championship for Sweden and could be ready to see if he can be a No. 1 netminder. Matthew Hackett, who arrived from the Minnesota Wild in the Pominville trade, is a top goaltending prospect and could earn some NHL duty this season

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah Ruhwedel surprised me on this list at #4 and Armia being bumped to #6 shocked me. I'm liking Larsson as a winger tho, having a solid two way winger is always a compliment to the 3rd line and now the center position doesn't look as cluttered. I can also see Catenacci moving to the wing at some point but there was no mention of him. Am I missing something with him?

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They're articles from NHL.com posted on Sabres.com. Part of NHL.com's 30 in 30 series. They're not prospect rankings or lineup projections from Sabres.com. I edited the OP to reflect this.

There is also an article on Rolston

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680102&navid=DL|NHL|home

as well as an article on 6 big questions the team needs to answer

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680133&navid=DL|NHL|home

The two articles in the OP as well, as the two I linked, are all on NHL.com's homepage. The Sabres our today's focus for the 30 in 30 series.

EDIT: I forgot there was one more article. Its about a revival of Myers being a possible X-factor http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680365

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think both articles don't show much more than a cursory grasp of our system and prospects/players.

Last edited:

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
If Ruhwedel really was our fourth best prospect, and our No. 2 defensive prospect behind Ristolainen, then it'd be like the Sabres got a potential No. 2 d-man (and guaranteed top 4 d-man) for free. Somehow I don't think that happened...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
"As good a goal-scorer as Thomas is, I'm certain he benefited from that kind of center who could find him and make the plays. He's certainly someone who's going to be a big part of our future."

where have i heard this before?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
"When we first brought Ron in as the interim coach, that was the intention, to interview other candidates," Regier told reporters. "As it progressed, and seeing Ron's interaction with the team, both as a teacher and a motivator ... for me personally, it became more and more evident that he was a very good fit not only for the present but for the future."

I've never seen this quote or one like it. I guess that justifies to some extent the fact they never did the coach search they implied they were going to do.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I've never seen this quote or one like it. I guess that justifies to some extent the fact they never did the coach search they implied they were going to do.

This quote surfaced after the announcement, but immediately begged (begs?) the question:

if you saw this progression with Rolston during the season, and liked how it went and how he handled everything, what was with the delay in naming him the Head Coach permanently? Why footdrag and tease the fans into thinking a legitimate search is going on when you knew you had your candidate before the season ended, really?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This quote surfaced after the announcement, but immediately begged (begs?) the question:

if you saw this progression with Rolston during the season, and liked how it went and how he handled everything, what was with the delay in naming him the Head Coach permanently? Why footdrag and tease the fans into thinking a legitimate search is going on when you knew you had your candidate before the season ended, really?

Well, Regier said that it was his personal opinion, maybe he wanted to properly run it by and discuss it with his superiors? I mean, even if he didn't necessarily need Pegula's approval, what I've seen indicates that Pegula might very well have been interested in the detailed how and why of Regier's decision making process. It certainly can't hurt to make sure everyone's on the same page.

Or, alternately, who knows, maybe Darcy wanted to make sure he had a job before making Rolston the full time coach

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Who cares about the fans. If he knew before the end of the season why even tell Rolston or anyone? Make him audition the rest of the way under pressure.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Who cares about the fans. If he knew before the end of the season why even tell Rolston or anyone? Make him audition the rest of the way under pressure.

I'm not concerned with during the end of the season, I'm talking about the offseason, in which Regier sort of strung us along and dilly-dally'd with it when asked before he ultimately named Rolston the permanent Coach

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

He was taking his time to make sure he got the decision right. He may very well have interviewed other coaches, he likely to took time to consult with the rest of his colleagues to gather all ideas, and he waited until he was 100% sure the Rolston was the best option. I dont see the need to rush into the decision even if he had a strong idea of what he wanted towards the end of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad