NHL.com 2013 Re-Draft Up

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
2013 Redraft: MacKinnon remains No. 1 pick of Avalanche

I am a big believer in waiting 5 years for a redraft. I think it's crazy when people try to do a redraft like a season and a half afterwards. So I like that NHL.com is always conservative with that.

That being said, their redraft raises some eyebrows imo.

1. Nathan MacKinnon, C, Colorado Avalanche (1)
2. Seth Jones, D, Nashville Predators (4)
3. Aleksander Barkov, C, Florida Panthers (2)
4. Sean Monahan, C, Calgary Flames (6)
5. Jake Guentzel, C, Pittsburgh Penguins (77)
6. Bo Horvat, C, Vancouver Canucks (9)
7. Alexander Wennberg, C, Columbus Blue Jackets (14)
8. Anthony Mantha, RW, Detroit Red Wings (20)
9. Andre Burakovsky, LW, Washington Capitals (23)
10. Rasmus Ristolainen, D, Buffalo Sabres (8)
11. Shea Theodore, D, Anaheim Ducks (26)
12. Brett Pesce, D, Carolina Hurricanes (66)
13. Josh Morrissey, D, Winnipeg Jets (13)
14. Elias Lindholm, C, Carolina Hurricanes (5)
15. Jonathan Drouin, C, Tampa Bay Lightning (3)
16. Darnell Nurse, D, Edmonton Oilers (7)
17. Will Butcher, D, Colorado Avalanche (123)
18. Juuse Saros, G, Nashville Predators (99)
19. Ryan Pulock, D, New York Islanders (15)
20. Max Domi, LW, Arizona Coyotes (12)
21. Pavel Buchnevich, RW, New York Rangers (75)
22. Ryan Hartman, RW, Chicago Blackhawks (30)
23. Oliver Bjorkstrand, RW, Columbus Blue Jackets (89)
24. Miles Wood, LW, New Jersey Devils (100)
25. Valeri Nichushkin, RW, Dallas Stars (10)
26. Andrew Copp, C, Winnipeg Jets (104)
27. Artturi Lehkonen, LW, Montreal Canadiens (55)
28. Mattias Janmark, C, Detroit Red Wings (79)
29. Andreas Johnsson, LW, Toronto Maple Leafs (202)
30. Sven Andrighetto, RW, Montreal Canadiens (86)

I think we can all agree that Barkov, MacKinnon and Jones could go 1, 2, and 3 in whatever order, and then Monahan and Horvat should be 4 and 5.

But it's kind of jarring to me that Drouin is behind the likes of Lindholm and Burakovsky. And I'm not that high on Domi, but it's just dumb to have him that far down.

Ristolainen as the second best defenseman from the draft is laughable. And Pesce and Morrissey as only 4 and 5 is pretty stupid too.

Also, Zadorov didn't even make the first round.

Your thoughts?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
29. Andreas Johnsson, LW, Toronto Maple Leafs (202)
I definitely agree with having Johnsson moving up this much in a re-draft because in his short time with the Maple Leafs in towards the end of the regular season and in the Stanley Cup playoffs, he showed that he belongs full time with them next season. Plus tonight he was named MVP of the Calder Cup playoffs for the Toronto Marlies, so not bad for a 7th round draft pick at the time he was selected.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
For a draft labelled being extremely deep, it was pretty damn average. The top end was great though. 3 very clearly franchise cornerstone pieces at the top that you would be happy with at #1 in any draft, and Monahan would be a solid #2 or #3 overall (but a slight letdown at 1).

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Burakovsky wayyy too high. I get it...recency bias, had a few big goals in the playoffs. But he isn't a top ten or even 15 player in this draft.

Buch in the 20s is laughable. Definitely better than Bura.

Compher and Zadorov should be on over Andrighetto.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not a good list.

Buchnevich at 21 is laughable, but I guess this is what happens when you aren't aware of the ongoings of every team and just have to rely on watching some games and some things you read. Buchnevich is one of our best players. The coach refused to play him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For a draft labelled being extremely deep, it was pretty damn average. The top end was great though. 3 very clearly franchise cornerstone pieces at the top that you would be happy with at #1 in any draft, and Monahan would be a solid #2 or #3 overall (but a slight letdown at 1).
Is it possible the media was hyping up the 2013 draft since it was MacKinnon vs Jones in the battle for 1st overall. I even remember some people thinking Jones going 1st overall was a slam dunk once Colorado won the draft lottery since he grew up in Denver while his father played for the Nuggets and he became a fan of the Avalanche. However after the Memorial Cup it changed to MacKinnon now projected to go 1st overall and because Patrick Roy saw him play a lot while he was coaching in the QMJHL.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
As a Jet fan, I take both Pesce and Morrissey ahead of Mantha and Burra. Theo is a hard case, he has played so few games. Risto is a hard case aswell, he is played way over is head, and have often played with anchors...

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Burakovsky is a really strange pick there. I mean, Ristolainen even has a higher PPG than him. Not really a good list in my opinion.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'd bump Morrissey up to 7th or 8th. But I never expect much from these lists

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Not a good list.

Buchnevich at 21 is laughable, but I guess this is what happens when you aren't aware of the ongoings of every team and just have to rely on watching some games and some things you read. Buchnevich is one of our best players. The coach refused to play him.

Buch is easily better than Burakovsky.... pulock and butcher will comfortably pass some of the defensemen ranked above them by next season. Elias lindholm is also far too high

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I definitely agree with having Johnsson moving up this much in a re-draft because in his short time with the Maple Leafs in towards the end of the regular season and in the Stanley Cup playoffs, he showed that he belongs full time with them next season. Plus tonight he was named MVP of the Calder Cup playoffs for the Toronto Marlies, so not bad for a 7th round draft pick at the time he was selected.

Does this kid have serious offensive potential? Always thought he looked good in limited sample size in the show this year and came across his ahl numbers the other day. Very intriguing prospect

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Not a good list.

Of course Pavel Buchnevich himself would post something like this.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Saros at 18 is pretty ambitious. We're talking about a young backup with virtually 0 heavy usages outside a 3 and a 4 game stand.

It's not like I'm complaining though. Nashville pretty well represented in this list all things considered ;)

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Does this kid have serious offensive potential? Always thought he looked good in limited sample size in the show this year and came across his ahl numbers the other day. Very intriguing prospect
I wouldn't say serious offensive potential, but the kid has good wheels, he plays smart and doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game. He looks like he's going to be a playoff type player who might put up 50ish points if he's playing on the right line. Definitely going to play top 9, if not top 6 next season. He's going to be a good replacement for JVR I think. Definitely could be the biggest steal of the draft

Reactions: Strait2thecup

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Zadorov should be there. Not going to do a full re-draft but here's my top 10 from 2013:

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Barkov
4. Monahan
5. Ristolainen
6. Horvat
7. Wennberg
8. Guentzel
9. Lindholm
10. Domi

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
What's up with Mantha jumping everyone on the back of one decent season?

His best season is only 3 points better than Ristolainen's who plays defence.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Gosh... still can't believe we could have Hedman and Jones.

Why can we not pick in the first round worth a damn?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad