LeBrun: NHL clarification on conditional picks

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would assume the condition of Calgary getting Edmonton's 2020 3rd pick won't happen. Gary Bettman said all stats from this past season are now considered finished since the NHL announced the winners for the Art Ross and Rocket Richard Trophy. So because James Neal had 19 goals instead of 21 and Milan Lucic had 8 goals and needed to score under 10 goals, that condition won't happen.

2020 conditional 3rd round pick* (EDM - #85)
*Conditions: Pick is transferred if James Neal scores 21 goals and Milan Lucic scores 10 or fewer goals than Neal in the 2019-20 season.

This may sound silly, but I’m curious if the wording on the condition was “2019-20 Season” or “2019-20 Regular Season”?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Don't see how they can prorate Neal's points when he was out injured at the time of the shutdown...

That would be so stupid if they prorate Neals stats. The conditions were not factually met, there’s no way they should be allowed to do that.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
When it comes to Toronto I thought the the 3rd round pick they traded becomes a 2nd round pick is if Clifford re-signs with them? Since Jack Campbell did not win 6 regular season games with the Maple Leafs (He only had 3 wins) if they make the playoffs that shouldn't guarantee the condition actually happening.

Conditions: The 2021 3rd round pick upgrades to a 2nd round pick if either Kyle Clifford re-signs with Toronto OR if the Leafs make the 2019-20 playoffs and Jack Campbell wins 6 regular season games.

I’d those were the conditions it sounds like you have a legit argument.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
When it comes to Toronto I thought the the 3rd round pick they traded becomes a 2nd round pick is if Clifford re-signs with them? Since Jack Campbell did not win 6 regular season games with the Maple Leafs (He only had 3 wins) if they make the playoffs that shouldn't guarantee the condition actually happening.

Conditions: The 2021 3rd round pick upgrades to a 2nd round pick if either Kyle Clifford re-signs with Toronto OR if the Leafs make the 2019-20 playoffs and Jack Campbell wins 6 regular season games.

That's literally what the OP says. Continue reading after the brackets. The leafs make playoffs and 6 wins is toast which the OP says so the only way the 3rd can become a 2nd is if Clifford resigns

Reactions: uncleben

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
That would be so stupid if they prorate Neals stats. The conditions were not factually met, there’s no way they should be allowed to do that.
I agree. They prorate all the players stats or none. Since they already closed the regular season starts...

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

basically Dubas has to decide whether keeping clifford is worth losing a 2nd next year.
My bet is he doesnt stay unless he is willing to sign super cheap (1mil or less)

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I have a feeling if Neal got to 21, Lucic would get to 12 or something to f*** it up. That pick was in no way in the bag.

When play stopped, Lucic was actually playing kinda... good?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I would assume the condition of Calgary getting Edmonton's 2020 3rd pick won't happen. Gary Bettman said all stats from this past season are now considered finished since the NHL announced the winners for the Art Ross and Rocket Richard Trophy. So because James Neal had 19 goals instead of 21 and Milan Lucic had 8 goals and needed to score under 10 goals, that condition won't happen.

2020 conditional 3rd round pick* (EDM - #85)
*Conditions: Pick is transferred if James Neal scores 21 goals and Milan Lucic scores 10 or fewer goals than Neal in the 2019-20 season.

Neal: 19 goals
Lucic: 8 goals

11 goal difference. Does this mean he scored fewer than 10 goals difference, or more than 10 goals difference? :sarcasm:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Absolute trash that they want to prorate Neal's goals but not give the same leeway to Lucic who could have scored 3 more and negated the condition.

What a joke.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Neal: 19 goals
Lucic: 8 goals

11 goal difference. Does this mean he scored fewer than 10 goals difference, or more than 10 goals difference? :sarcasm:
Neal had to hit 21 goals for the first half to be met.

So they're saying Neal would have scored two more (even though he was out with an injury and had just returned at the start of the shutdown ) but Lucic would not have scored 3 more (even though he was healthy).

That's so wrong.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
Clarification got Oilers fans arguing Lucic is a goal-scorer now :laugh:

Flames fans should assume the pick won't be traded.
Oilers fans should assume it will be.

Keep your expectations low for best chances of happiness when the NHL inevitably "screws your team."

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Obvious Flames fan here.

I do not think it's fair to pro-rate here. Firstly, for the simple reason, the trade says that it must happen and it didn't. The trade doesn't provide for the contingency of a shortened season.

Secondly, if the season had progressed, there was no guarantee Neal would get two more goals. Neal hadn't scored in 13 games, and the Oilers had replaced him on the PP with AA. Neal was also injured.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Makes absolutely no sense to prorate for the Neal/Lucic trade. Regular season is over and the conditions were not met

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's LeBrun speculating that it makes sense to prorate stats in order to meet the condition. The NHL hasn't given any inclination that conditions may be met with prorated stats.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Congratulations to the Sabres for just missing the play in round by 0.008 winning % behind the Habs. Who were the Sabres suppose to play before Covid-19 shut things down? The Habs.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Flames fan saying it would be stupid to prorate the stats for Neal/Lucic.

Obvious answer is to treat it like the draft where apparently the play-in series are part of the regular season. Count the stats for that series + the existing regular season.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Flames fan saying it would be stupid to prorate the stats for Neal/Lucic.

Obvious answer is to treat it like the draft where apparently the play-in series are part of the regular season. Count the stats for that series + the existing regular season.

I agree, as an Oilers fan the three compromises I would see as fair are 1. Lets the play in stats count 2. Push the condition to next season 3. And this is my least fave but give the Flames a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad