NHL Chicago on team nickname re cultural/political changes UPD: bans costume headdresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Haven’t hear back from you about Chief Black Hawk yet. Not willing to admit you were historically incorrect eh?
What's historically incorrect? I already knew they were named after an army regiment, who in turn was named after Chief Black Hawk.

See my other tweet noting how incredibly ridiculous it is to name anything related to US military when they were the ones who killed and chased Native Americans off their land.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
What's historically incorrect? I already knew they were named after an army regiment, who in turn was named after Chief Black Hawk.

See my other tweet noting how incredibly ridiculous it is to name anything related to US military when they were the ones who killed and chased Native Americans off their land.
“See my other tweet”. Lol. You claimed the name was not a tribute and I stapled you on it. Not surprised you went quiet. Not to worry though. You’ve met your virtue signalling quotient for the day.

Reactions: McRpro

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I wouldn't be shocked if they changed the logo within the next 10 years.

And honestly, as a fan, I wouldn't mind. Just keep the color scheme and make sure it looks good.

It's not like they're going to confiscate, burn or ban the old jerseys. They're not going to blur it out on archived footage. The history of the logo isn't going to be erased. They're just going to, inevitably IMO, move forward from it.

People are obviously resistant to change, especially when it comes to things they have an emotional attachment to. I sympathize with the fans who want the logo to stay the same forever (well, most of them... the f***wits that wear head-dresses to games or woop like stereotypical Indians can jump off a cliff), but I just don't think it's realistic in the long-term.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
“See my other tweet”. Lol. You claimed the name was not a tribute and I stapled you on it. Not surprised you went quiet. Not to worry though. You’ve met your virtue signalling quotient for the day.
I asked tribute to WHO?

It was not a tribute to Native Americans in any shape or form.

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
I never seen or heard that the Indigenous community have any issues with the Blackhawks, Chief or Indians names. They always complain about the Redskins name and rightfully so. It's an offensive term. Why would they get offended about the name Chief or Indians? I think those names are safe.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
They were named after "Black Hawks Regiment", not Chief Black Hawk.
The McLaughlin Years

^^^
I'm not purposely trying to shame anyone, but help me understand where the disconnect is... or am I missing something. I'm open for open correcting if I am.

During World War I, McLaughlin had served as a commander in the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Division of the U.S. Army. Members of his division called themselves Black Hawks in honor of the Sauk Indian chief who sided with the British in the War of 1812. Surely, the Major felt, it would be a fitting name for the newest entry into the National Hockey League.

Black Hawk (Sauk Native American) > "Black Hawks" (333rd Machine Gun Battalion / 86th Infantry Division) > Chicago Blackhawks

Reactions: DaveG

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
^^^
I'm not purposely trying to shame anyone, but help me understand where the disconnect is... or am I missing something. I'm open for open correcting if I am.

Black Hawk (Sauk Native American) > "Black Hawks" (333rd Machine Gun Battalion / 86th Infantry Division) > Chicago Blackhawks

Plus, they put a Native American in their logo, not an American infantryman from WWI.

EDIT: As already pointed out:
If that were true, they would have a soldier on their jersey.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Plus, they put a Native American in their logo, not an American infantryman from WWI.

EDIT: As already pointed out:
It's not an honour if the people being honoured don't feel, you know, honoured.

Let's say you have an ancestor who was a war hero. Some people whose ideals you don't support or who may actively work against your interests now want to put up some kind of monument to your ancestor. Would you think that was okay? Or would you think they were trying to co-opt your family's name and history? That they're saying that your ancestor is somehow on 'their' side - which, given that you feel that group is now fighting against your interests, means that they're using your ancestor against you.

Indigenous people have the right to own their own heritage. That means telling non-Indigenous people not to use their symbols and ancestors as mascots.

Reactions: oknazevad

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
^^^

Organization that massacred the Native Americans can't honor Native Americans...

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It's not an honour if the people being honoured don't feel, you know, honoured.

WaPo.png

And that's a more controversial case than the one at hand.

Let's say you have an ancestor who was a war hero. Some people whose ideals you don't support or who may actively work against your interests now want to put up some kind of monument to your ancestor. Would you think that was okay?

The Chicago Blackhawks are actively working against the interests of Native American people?

Indigenous people have the right to own their own heritage. That means telling non-Indigenous people not to use their symbols and ancestors as mascots.

Disagree. Cultural phenomena don't belong to a certain group, even if they are the originator. There is no copyright law on cultural symbols and the pictures of historic people.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
View attachment 353367

And that's a more controversial case than the one at hand.

The Chicago Blackhawks are actively working against the interests of Native American people?

Disagree. Cultural phenomena don't belong to a certain group, even if they are the originator. There is no copyright law on cultural symbols and the pictures of historic people.

Here's some actual academic research that is a bit better than a poorly done poll.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Here's some actual academic research that is a bit better than a poorly done poll.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/

And do we know if the Blackhawks, and their logo, were part of the data compiled in said research? Seems to me the whole basis of that piece stems from the Redskins (rightfully so) and other images and fan props (Tomahawk chops, headdress's, etc). Unfortunately, I can't access the actual findings in the study because I'm not a UC-Berkeley student.

I'm also not willing to put up the $37.50 it would cost for online access to said study, only to find it they were not.

Before people start coming out of their corners flailing about, I have long awaited the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins to change their clubs names and logos. Their team names and logos irk me. My first real experiences with "open" dialogue regarding the overall topic came 10 years with the changes beginning for the Univ of North Dakota. One tribe had no problem with the "Fighting Sioux" name, one tribe did. I won't get into the how and why one did and one didn't, but they were nonetheless not happy with it so I understood and I accepted it.

Before that, the FSU Seminoles. Their partnership with the Seminole Tribe goes back decades. So, until the Seminole Tribal Council decides they no longer are receptive to it, who are we to intervene. And for the record, I detest FSU as an institution. That's because my allegiance is to the Univ of Florida.

So far, my understanding and conclusions drawn over the years about the Blackhawks logo is there's a whole lot of other people in other areas of North America stating their displeasure with it. But I have not heard anything specifically from the Sac and Fox Nations. I understand the AIC were initially against it, warmed to it, and then last year cut ties with the Blackhawks.

So I guess my position is, until someone individually (or Tribal Council) of the Sac and Fox Nation says it has to go, then so be it. I would be disappointed because I think its the only logo that even up till today never showed or openly mocked Native Americans. If they want it changed, I would understand. I'd be disappointed personally, but would accept it.

But hey, if Tom Morello doesn't have a problem with it right now, neither shall I

tom-morello-0616.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad