NHL Centre Ice?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Hey who can help me out with deciding what I should do

I cancelled Cable after the season is over like I do every season, but I am looking at an alternative to watching the games like perhaps NHL Centre Ice

I have heard they black out your local games though, has anybody gotten Centre Ice and downloaded an IP scrambler to make it appear like your streaming from somewhere else?

A friend of mine thinks sportsnet will stream games to your phone and you can use appletv to mirror your device, anybody have any experience with that?

I really like watching all the coverage of around the league with highlights etc, what option works best for this

I am not 100 % oppossed to getting cable back, just seems like a lot of money to have to spend to get HD games

Thanks super friends

mavstar

No expectations
Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
I'm in the same boat.

All I watch on cable is hockey, I download/stream everything else. Last year I was going to subscribe to Gamcentre Live through my PS3 using a VPN to mask my location. I tried it out with a trial w/ a VPN provider and the PS3 Gamcentre Live trial, but I couldn't get it to work, I gave up pretty quickly though because I hate having to **** around with router configurations.

Centre Ice + VPN service is the way to go...if you can figure it out. Might anyone have some good instructions, or a source for good instructions on how to achieve this?

Last edited:

KidCanuck*

Center Ice package should be free for the shortened season as a apology to the fans as far as I am concerned. Bettman is a troll though and that would never happen, I mean come on, they need all the money they can get now :sarcasm:

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Gamecentre is the name of the online streaming service, Centre Ice is the out of market cable package.

As mentioned you'd have to pay monthly for a VPN or proxy and use that to mask your location. This would allow you to stream Canucks games through gamecentre. not sure if that makes sense from a cost perspective.

Keep in mind CBC streams their games for free and sportsnet offered a per-game streaming service last season. I think the games were like 3 or 4 bucks each.

mavstar

No expectations
Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Gamecentre is the name of the online streaming service, Centre Ice is the out of market cable package.

As mentioned you'd have to pay monthly for a VPN or proxy and use that to mask your location. This would allow you to stream Canucks games through gamecentre. not sure if that makes sense from a cost perspective.

Keep in mind CBC streams their games for free and sportsnet offered a per-game streaming service last season. I think the games were like 3 or 4 bucks each.

You're right, there's no significant savings going this route if you already own a PVR, but you do get more hockey and taking business away from our terrible telecoms is always a plus in my mind. **** Shaw and Telus.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Center Ice package should be free for the shortened season as a apology to the fans as far as I am concerned. Bettman is a troll though and that would never happen, I mean come on, they need all the money they can get now :sarcasm:

I heard semi-serious talk that they might actually offer Centre Ice for free to try and woo back fans. Sounds too good to be true though.

Crows*

While free centre Ice would be an amazing apology. It will never happen. The tv networks won't let it

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Basically if I live in BC and I get gamecentre I can't watch Canuck games?

exactly. Regional restrictions for the networks that purchase the rights.

In alberta, you can't get oilers/flames games. Toronto = no leafs etc.

google unodns for an easy to use ip mask that lots of people use for watching usa netflix. has a free trial.

MajorCanuck

Cup Please
Dec 30, 2011
Surrey, BC
It drives me nuts there is no legal way for me to watch all Canucks games without purchasing cable. Somebody please tell the NHL that it is 2013?

Its not a technology issue. Sportsnet pays good money to be able to broadcast so many Canuck games, and they make their money when you sign up for cable.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It drives me nuts there is no legal way for me to watch all Canucks games without purchasing cable. Somebody please tell the NHL that it is 2013?

Last year (and the year before) Sportsnet streamed all their Canucks games online for a price on the Canucks website, not just for your phone but for your computer too.

And CBC streams all their games online for free.

So that's the majority of Canucks games right there. You'd probably have to look around for free streams (that are usually low quality) for TSN games.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Last year (and the year before) Sportsnet streamed all their Canucks games online for a price on the Canucks website, not just for your phone but for your computer too.

And CBC streams all their games online for free.

So that's the majority of Canucks games right there. You'd probably have to look around for free streams (that are usually low quality) for TSN games.

Hmmm what does SN charge per game? What region can watch it?

I have witopia pro VPN and might try something different than centerice this year if ita cheaper.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Hmmm what does SN charge per game? What region can watch it?

I have witopia pro VPN and might try something different than centerice this year if ita cheaper.

It's for people living in BC only.

And unfortunately I don't remember what they charge, but they give you three options: 1 game, a multi-game package (don't remember the exact number of games, could be 5 games), and a full season pass.
The more games you buy, the cheaper it is per game.

If you are outside of BC, then you have to get NHL centerice.

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
On my Boxee Box, It has a built-in VPN option, or even easier is using US DNS services.
I've used this to get Netflix US and it works perfectly. Gamecenter should be no different.

Here's two DNS services you can use via router or media player that supports Gamecenter:

http://www.unblock-us.com/
http://playmo.tv/

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Alright, using google I found the sportsnet info.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64206

$2.99 (plus tax) for one game, $15.99 for 10 straight games, or $40 for all Canucks games on Sportsnet Pacific and Sportsnet One.

If you get the season pass (and assuming sportsnet will carry about the same number of games in 2013/14 as they did in 11/12), it would cost about 70 cents per game.

*NOTE THAT THESE PRICES ARE FOR WHEN THERE IS A FULL 82 GAME SEASON

I've used it before and it's pretty good. You can set the quality of the stream, rewind, pause, look at live stats, and a bunch of other things

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It's for people living in BC only.

And unfortunately I don't remember what they charge, but they give you three options: 1 game, a multi-game package (don't remember the exact number of games, could be 5 games), and a full season pass.
The more games you buy, the cheaper it is per game.

If you are outside of BC, then you have to get NHL centerice.

Witopia pro allows me to set my VPN for any city from a list of about 50 worldwide. I can change it whenever i want do thats not an issue.

Vancouver ans Toronto are on the list for Canada.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Alright, using google I found the sportsnet info.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64206

$2.99 (plus tax) for one game, $15.99 for 10 straight games, or $40 for all Canucks games on Sportsnet Pacific and Sportsnet One.

If you get the season pass (and assuming sportsnet will carry about the same number of games in 2013/14 as they did in 11/12), it would cost about 70 cents per game.

*NOTE THAT THESE PRICES ARE FOR WHEN THERE IS A FULL 82 GAME SEASON

I've used it before and it's pretty good. You can set the quality of the stream, rewind, pause, look at live stats, and a bunch of other things

Between this and CBC no need for VPNs right?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00