NHL: Around the League 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They are slowly getting better at tracking it. Possession still has value but not like it did and how some still value it.

For the millionth time, hockey is not baseball. You can try and define it with fancy numbers until you're blue in the face but it just won't work. But I know some will keep trying.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
For the millionth time, hockey is not baseball. You can try and define it with fancy numbers until you're blue in the face but it just won't work. But I know some will keep trying.
You seem so set on this. But what is so set on stone about baseball? Is the world series winner set in stone? Who will it be based on the stats? ... but you say they can't do what they do in baseball in the NHL, what is it you think they're saying? You seem set on this illusion of what people are saying.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

It's a good breakdown.

He's using the term possession more literally than people like me, though. He's using it in the micro-stat sense, time actually holding the puck, controlled entries and exits, etc.

As far as Corsi and xGF, there's nothing incompatible with dumping the puck in, just so long as you can get it back, put shots toward the net, get the puck back when they miss, get blocked, or rebound off the goalie, repeat as necessary.

The Kings teams from 2012-2014 are some of the best possession (as in Corsi and xGF) teams of the era. They dumped and chased all the time.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017

rKQawM6.jpg

Reactions: ChiHawk21

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I'm not sure he would waive his NMC for it, but if Stamkos is not untouchable as Mckenzie reported, I could see MTL as a landing spot.

They have the cap space, they have the assets (tons of picks and a highly ranked prospect pool).

I could see Bergevin offering a big package for Stamkos.

I'm just not sure he's willing to leave Tampa.

EDIT: That said, it looks like NSH is doing everything they can to clear space too. So maybe they'll make a pitch for him? I could more easily see Stamkos going to Nashville than Montreal.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Canucks are losing talent in all the wrong places.

They need to get rid of basically their entire 4th line, then they'd have more than enough to keep these complementary players in their top 9 and on D.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Is there anyone worth looking at that hasn’t been qualified? Athanasiou, Stecher, etc

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Is there anyone worth looking at that hasn’t been qualified? Athanasiou, Stecher, etc

I thought Athanasiou skated really well and isn't afraid to get his body in the way. I really, REALLY didn't like him trying to lay out DeBrincat in the last .5 seconds of the Edm/Chi series though. Classless.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm not sure he would waive his NMC for it, but if Stamkos is not untouchable as Mckenzie reported, I could see MTL as a landing spot.

They have the cap space, they have the assets (tons of picks and a highly ranked prospect pool).

EDIT: That said, it looks like NSH is doing everything they can to clear space too. So maybe they'll make a pitch for him? I could more easily see Stamkos going to Nashville than Montreal.

Stamkos has had a few frustrating campaigns lately ...... despite the Cup win he is a prime candidate who could use a change of scenery.

Reactions: Giovi

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Stamkos has had a few frustrating campaigns lately ...... despite the Cup win he is a prime candidate who could use a change of scenery.
They just won the cup without him. I'd say your right, he's probably high on their list of guys they'd like to move.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

TB is not getting high ranked prospects and first round picks for Stamkos. He's injury riddled, makes close to 10mil, and every team knows the position TB is in. They will get quality assets, but not high end picks, and I don't see MTL giving up their 1st next year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Devils bought out Cory Schneider

Its a shame injuries have taken toll on him

Its also shame that Devils essentially wasted his career especially those 3 years that he was pretty damn elite playing behind an awful team

Reactions: Drumman44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad