Confirmed with Link: NHL and NHLPA agree on 56 game season - SCHEDULE RELEASED - Isles @ NYR Jan 14th

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The funny part is Strome will get ragged on even if he’s almost a point a game because he’s ‘really not that good’

eh, Strome's weird. I'm fine with him being here and happy with his point production, I think that makes him valuable even if he's not "ideal", but he is mostly "just" points and lacks a lot in other areas. If the Rangers felt comfortable with his overall game and ability to push offense they would have re-signed him sooner and for longer.

Overall I think if he either pushed the offensive play more himself (so he didn't have to be stapled to Panarin's hip to be effective) or if his overall game was more rounded (better defense, PK, etc) then he wouldn't get the flack that he does. He's obviously skilled enough to ride shotgun to Panarin and help facilitate the offense on that line, but he's not the driver and doesn't have a lot of other great impact on the game

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Why must he drive anything? That it works with him on Panarin's line means other players can be put on other lines.

I think mainly because teams are wary of committing long term high dollars to players who have to be carried to some extent by other players. What if it stops working with Panarin for some reason? Or whatever.

It's not that he can't be a useful and good player for the team, I think it's just that he's not the type that teams want to commit to long term because of the things I mentioned.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Roster for camp, Newell as well as Elmer omitted, Robertson included
And an open skater spot - Schneider?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Schneider would make sense, as he has nowhere else to play once the WJC is done. The same is true with Skinner though. Neither are under contract yet, but maybe one of them signs a PTO, or signs their ELC.

Maybe they add Garand as well just to balance out the number of goalies.

Edit: Cuylle and Vierling are floating out there too.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Berard will go back to college.

right, Berard cannot (without losing his college eligibility) -
but Schneider , or Skinner, (or way less likely, or they'd be listed today) Cuylle, Vierling or Rempe could be that 'one more' skater,
and Garand can join after WJC, no quota for G's

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
right, Berard cannot (without losing his college eligibility) -
but Schneider , or Skinner, (or way less likely, or they'd be listed today) Cuylle, Vierling or Rempe could be that 'one more' skater,
and Garand can join after WJC, no quota for G's
He can pay his own way, don't crush my dreams

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
this isn’t traverse city. He can’t pay his way to nhl training camp
Am I somehow misinterpreting this rule?

Want to play NCAA hockey? Make sure you know the eligibility rules
NCAA Rules that Hockey Parents need to know | Points West Sports and Entertainment

I thought that NCAA players were allowed to stay for 48 hours at the pro team's expenses, and any time spent with the club after that window has to be paid for out of the player's pocket, a la Cam York last year. There's nothing in the language of the rule that distinguishes development camp from training camp.

In any case, it was just a bad joke and I understand that Berard won't be in training camp this year or probably next year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Distinct possibility. Under somewhat normal circumstances, he was seen as a kid who would’ve turned pro this spring - so taking a look at him in January, especially when he isn’t missing out on his junior season, could very much be in the cards.

It’s also a weird situation for guys like Schneider, who were older birthdays and had more junior experience than many of their peers. There’s really not much left for them to prove at the junior level beyond this season, but you’re also looking at kids who have lost significant chunks of their D+1 season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Am I somehow misinterpreting this rule?

Want to play NCAA hockey? Make sure you know the eligibility rules
NCAA Rules that Hockey Parents need to know | Points West Sports and Entertainment

I thought that NCAA players were allowed to stay for 48 hours at the pro team's expenses, and any time spent with the club after that window has to be paid for out of the player's pocket, a la Cam York last year. There's nothing in the language of the rule that distinguishes development camp from training camp.

In any case, it was just a bad joke and I understand that Berard won't be in training camp this year or probably next year.

Prospects can partake in development camp without a contract. To participate in training camp, he'd have to sign at least a PTO, which would affect his NCAA eligibility.

On 2nd thought, maybe he could participate without a contract, but he's not going to, just like all of the players that hold out of camp while working on a new contract. The risk isn't worth the reward.

Reactions: Lua

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
this guys analysis has NYR sooo right there w Caps and Flyers for a playoff spot, just missing, and ahead of Isles

2020-2021 Season Preview
2020-2021 Regular Season Predictions
January 4, 2021, Micah Blake McCurdy, @IneffectiveMath

all this while, silly me has been anticipating 1 more top 10 pick 8^)

upload_2021-1-4_12-55-1.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad