Confirmed with Link: NHL and NHLPA agree on 56 game season - SCHEDULE RELEASED - Isles @ NYR Jan 14th

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I imagine of the European loans, Hajek, Reunanen, and Huska will probably head over. Kravtsov and Rykov will probably stay. Maybe Kravtsov comes later.

Reactions: will1066

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I’d imagine the 1 year deals and PTOs will start to flow in now.
How about the teams in serious cap trouble? When does the clock start ticking on them to get Under the cap? That will definitely start the ball rolling

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2DAD9B69-64A8-4A42-833C-FD975D404048.gif

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

That answers my question about the taxi squad--they just collect AHL salaries presumably unless they're active.

so for the opt out the guy won't get paid but still counts against the cap?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I'm not sure how it will work. The Rangers will obviously want them playing in games so if the AHL season starts soon, they'd be there.

yeah i'd imagine that if the top young players aren't in the lineup they will want them playing in the AHL you don't want those guys sitting. and there is a chance that the taxi squad won't even practice with the big club keeping them separate so if anyone gets sick they weren't exposed.

the taxi squad is intended to limit guys bouncing back and forth. so the impact to miller and barron is likely that they won't be called up until there is a potential long term spot. you won't see them called up for a single game

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
yeah i'd imagine that if the top young players aren't in the lineup they will want them playing in the AHL you don't want those guys sitting. and there is a chance that the taxi squad won't even practice with the big club keeping them separate so if anyone gets sick they weren't exposed.

the taxi squad is intended to limit guys bouncing back and forth. so the impact to miller and barron is likely that they won't be called up until there is a potential long term spot. you won't see them called up for a single game
If i guy ops out there is no way it can count again cap. If for some crazy reason a whole team opted out that franchise would have no cap to sign another team of players.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If i guy ops out there is no way it can count again cap. If for some crazy reason a whole team opted out that franchise would have no cap to sign another team of players.

that was my thought too...also if the player doesn't get paid it doesn't count toward the 50/50 split but i'm not sure what "Team would have option of tolling contract for the year." means exactly in this scenario.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Still lots to consider with the taxi squad.

that would be an interesting twist for fans to speculate about but i'm not sure any players would actually be effected by it...like lets say for example the rangers bury howden in the ahl so it doesn't get a year of service and then as a 1st or 2nd year player becomes exempt from the draft. the problem there though is what are the changes that the rangers don't care his development for this year enough to keep him out of the lineup but also care about him so much that they are worried about losing him in the expansion draft. if this happened fans will go nuts with speculation of different scenarios but in reality it probably would only impact guys that wouldn't be claimed anyway.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
that was my thought too...also if the player doesn't get paid it doesn't count toward the 50/50 split but i'm not sure what "Team would have option of tolling contract for the year." means exactly in this scenario.
I think a scenario for that would be we never traded staal, and he opts out, he doesn't get paid, but he assumed he'd play out his contract next year. We dont need him / want him for next year, so his contract tolls, and he doesn't get paid for his last year of the contract but does reach free agency on target instead of waiting an additional year.

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm going to imagine your taxi squad crew is going to feature the names no one was excited about this off-season, rather than prospects.

I think you're more likely to see Rooney, Blackwell, Di Giuseppe, Bitetto, maybe Hajek more than guys like Barron, Kravtsov, etc.

Unless a player is absolutely pounding on the door, or the Rangers feel they are prepared to stay in the bubble permanently, I don't think you're going to see quite as much of the young talent this next season. I think there's going to be a preference to leave players where they are whenever possible --- be it the AHL or Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad