OT: NHL All-Time Draft

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. Bonus points for explaining how this might affect the team's present and future, though this is by no means obligatory.

Montreal, you are now on the clock with the 8th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- On the Clock
9. Chicago Blackhawks-
10. Arizona Coyotes-
11. Minnesota Wild-
12. Vancouver Canucks-
13. Nashville Predators-
14. Florida Panthers-
15. Calgary Flames-
16. New York Rangers-
17. Winnipeg Jets-
18. New York Islanders-
19. Columbus Blue Jackets-
20. Toronto Maple Leafs-
21. Carolina Hurricanes-
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Lindros, Forsberg, Beliveau or Ray Bourque...

I think that the C is the most impact position, all 3 were dominant, I give the edge to Lindros since I think is teams were the weakest and never the kind of support the other guys had even if Forsberg or Beliveau are pretty hard to pass. Lindros bring the size and skills elements and event if we have lots of C none of them can have that kind of impact. Everyone could be in the right chair and might free asset to fix other issues LD.

Or just draft Ray Bourque but even if that fix a hole our top 6 would still be very weak...

Reactions: UnSandvich

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Béliveau, Richard, Lafleur, Roy or Plante

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Béliveau, Richard, Lafleur, Roy or Plante
Those are all great choices but I would take Bobby Hull.

Edit: I would consider Larry Robinson and Denis Potvin too.

Reactions: Toene

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I thought about it and it comes to these (only in my opinion, of course).

Patrick Roy has 3 Conn Smythe : a record, even the Great One can't claim this feat. 151 playoff wins, the leader by far.

Then there's this guy :

Which could be argued as a top 3 peak of all-time in terms of individual + team achievements.

Doug Harvey with his gazillion Norris trophies and cups could too. And he fits one of our biggest need.

I mean we HAVE to have a Hab in the top-10.

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
So right now it looks like Beliveau is winning (barely). I'll be moving on to the next team tomorrow morning, so if you desire someone else, best to make your case for them before I do move on.

Reactions: Toene

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Tough for me to go passed the 90s...Henri Richard won 11 cups here, but how would he do in a league where you have Gretzky, Lemieux and Jagr??...
I'm going with Forsberg, he's the only one I can imagine being on par with these guys in terms of raw talent and owning a game.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Tough for me to go passed the 90s...Henri Richard won 11 cups here, but how would he do in a league where you have Gretzky, Lemieux and Jagr??...
I'm going with Forsberg, he's the only one I can imagine being on par with these guys in terms of raw talent and owning a game.

Yzerman ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yzerman ?
I put Yzerman on par with Sakic, and while Joe is my favorite player of all time, I have to be honest here, Forsberg was a notch above those guys.
If this guy could have remained healthy, like Ovechkin remains healthy, Forsberg would be considered top 3 GOATs imo.
Forsberg could literally do everything on the ice and be one of the best at it. Could score by slapping the puck from far, or with a very precise wrist shot, or he could deke the entire opposing team and break the ankles of the goalie, he was extremely creative, his vision and hockey sense were bar none, his two way game was as good as anybody's, his puck protection was as good as Jagr's, and he was one of the most physical players in the game.
The only thing he didn't do extremely well was fight.

Gretzky and Lemieux, not even they were as well rounded as Peter Forsberg. I was lucky enough to watch as many games as possible because I never wanted to miss a game from Qc/Col since Sakic was my favorite. So I got the opportunity to observe Forsberg at his best for some time and really, it's such a shame he struggled so much with injuries because he was as good as any other of the other GOATs.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
As a note we took Jean Béliveau in this. Crosby was ineligible (see note 2). It’s moved on to the Blackhawks thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad