OT: NHL All-Time Draft, Round 2

In the NHL-ALL Time Draft, who do you have the Canucks take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello again from the NYR Boards. Due to requests from multiple posters across the boards, I've decided to continue the All Time draft into a second round. The rules for this draft are as follows, if you did not remember:

1. Every team gets a single pick in the round, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft). So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). This also includes players like Tretiak who never had an NHL career but are hockey legends in their own right. All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. Please check the below post before voting for a player, as it's possible they have already been taken. And remember again, active players are ineligible.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
32. Detroit Red Wings (1st round pick- Wayne Gretzky) - Sergei Fedorov
33. Ottawa Senators (Mario Lemieux) - Teemu Selanne
34. San Jose Sharks (Bobby Orr) - Stan Mikita
35. Los Angeles Kings (Gordie Howe)- Marcel Dionne
36. Anaheim Ducks (Jaromir Jagr) - Larry Robinson
37. New Jersey Devils (Nicklas Lidstrom) - Scott Stevens
38. Buffalo Sabres (Dominik Hasek) - Gilbert Perreault
39. Montreal Canadiens (Jean Beliveau) - Brett Hull
40. Chicago Blackhawks (Mark Messier) - Chris Chelios
41. Arizona Coyotes (Eric Lindros) - Bryan Trottier
42. Minnesota Wild (Joe Sakic) - Frank Mahovlich
43. Vancouver Canucks (Steve Yzerman) - On the Clock
44. Nashville Predators (Peter Forsberg) -
45. Florida Panthers (Pavel Bure) -
46. Calgary Flames (Mike Bossy) -
47. New York Rangers (Maurice Richard) -
48. Winnipeg Jets (Dale Hawerchuk) -
49. New York Islanders (Denis Potvin) -
50. Columbus Blue Jackets (Guy Lafleur) -
51. Toronto Maple Leafs (Patrick Roy) -
52. Carolina Hurricanes (Ray Bourque) -
53. Dallas Stars (Doug Harvey) -
54. Edmonton Oilers (Bobby Hull) -
55. Vegas Golden Knights (Martin Brodeur) -
56. Pittsburgh Penguins (Ron Francis) -
57. Philadelphia Flyers (Bobby Clarke) -
58. Washington Capitals (Phil Esposito) -
59. Tampa Bay Lightning (Eddie Shore) -
60. Colorado Avalanche (Paul Coffey) -
61. St Louis Blues (Chris Pronger) -
62. Boston Bruins (Howie Morenz) -

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Voting:
I'll update this comment as each new vote comes in, but I can only count it if it's a single player vote (so not "Shore or Harvey" for example). If you're changing your vote later on, that's fine, just make a note of it. I apologize in advance if I am delayed in adding your vote, I am now working full-time so have much less free time on my hands

Igor Larionov (1)- alternate
Brad Park (1)- RandV
Pavel Datsyuk (1)- UK Canuck
Scott Niedermayer (1)- Nuck Bonino
Cyclone Taylor (1)- LuckyDay
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandvich's Best on the Board(tm):

C: Adam Oates, Red Kelly (C/D), Frank Nighbor, Alex Delvecchio, Cyclone Taylor (C/D), Frank Boucher, Henri Richard, Syl Apps, Newsy Lalonde
LW/RW: Brendan Shanahan, Ted Lindsay, Dit Clapper (RW/D), Jarome Iginla, Cam Neely, Bill Cook, Sergei Makarov, Valeri Kharlamov, Jari Kurri, Charlie Conacher, Bernie Geoffrion
D: Brad Park, Brian Leetch, Slava Fetisov, Al MacInnis, Larry Murphy, Pierre Pilote, King Clancy, Tim Horton, Bill Gadsby, Sprague Cleghorn, Earl Seibert
G: Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk, Vladislav Tretiak, Ken Dryden, Glenn Hall

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
It’s refreshing seeing non-Ranger/Bruin fans bring up Park. Only reason he didn’t win 6 Norris trophies was that he played at the same time as Orr and then Potvin

Reactions: ziploc

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'll probably give this another day or two before moving it on. Currently Larionov is winning by a single vote, so if you have a different player you'd prefer, now's the time to vote for them

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Cylcone Taylor people! He made hockey in Vancouver. Plus, we'd be the only team with 7 men on the ice - legally! (he played Rover/D not Center/D as listed above)

I'd put him around the top 8. Better than Lindros.

Or almost anybody. Here's his statistics for 1915

Player GP G A Pts PIM
Cyclone Taylor162322459
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's 45 points in 16 games. That's the equivalent of 230 points over an 82 game season.

He set up Mickey Mackey for 33 goals that season for 16 of his 17 games.

PS - is not Ace Bailey not on the eligibility list?

Last edited:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
over Cylone Taylor even

upload_2020-8-18_14-32-45.jpeg

It reminds me when the Canucks did a tribute on the screen for Roger Nielson when he was the visiting Assistant Coach for Ottawa and no one cared.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Cylcone Taylor people! He made hockey in Vancouver. Plus, we'd be the only team with 7 men on the ice - legally! (he played Rover/D not Center/D as listed above)

I'd put him around the top 8. Better than Lindros.

Or almost anybody. Here's his statistics for 1915

Player GP G A Pts PIM
Cyclone Taylor162322459
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's 45 points in 16 games. That's the equivalent of 230 points over an 82 game season.

He set up Mickey Mackey for 33 goals that season for 16 of his 17 games.

PS - is not Ace Bailey not on the eligibility list?

Ace Bailey is eligible. Tbh for my "Best on the board" list, i'm kinda just copying off the ATD board's most recent ATD
ATD 2020 Draft Thread V

EDIT: Bailey's pretty damn low on that list actually, 341st behind guys like Adam Foote and Kevin Lowe

Are people actually angling for Igor Larionov over Sergei Makarov? Really?

if igor larionov wins this poll this forum should just be shut down for good

At the time, Larionov was winning b/c he was the only player to get a nomination (other 2 posters had posted multiple players, and as such I could not consider their votes). He is now tied for the lead

Reactions: LuckyDay

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
If we go by the top-100 list from the History of Hockey board—which is hardly gospel but is a pretty well-considered list—the best players still available are:

Red Kelly (17)
Jacques Plante (19)
Frank Nighbor (20)
Slava Fetisov (25)
Sergei Makarov (26)
Glenn Hall (28)
Cyclone Taylor (33)
Ted Lindsay (38)
Newsy Lalonde (39)

...who are all ranked higher than Yzerman at 40. Brad Park is 47.

------

Makarov in his prime would probably be the most entertaining to watch, although Fetisov was always super impressive on international ice during the '80s as well.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If we go by the top-100 list from the History of Hockey board—which is hardly gospel but is a pretty well-considered list—the best players still available are:

Red Kelly (17)
Jacques Plante (19)
Frank Nighbor (20)
Slava Fetisov (25)
Sergei Makarov (26)
Glenn Hall (28)
Cyclone Taylor (33)
Ted Lindsay (38)
Newsy Lalonde (39)

...who are all ranked higher than Yzerman at 40. Brad Park is 47.

------

Makarov in his prime would probably be the most entertaining to watch, although Fetisov was always super impressive on international ice during the '80s as well.

Yeah, I've been secretly (well, not as much now that this is out in the open) hoping that one of Kelly or Nighbor make it to the Rangers pick

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, I've been secretly (well, not as much now that this is out in the open) hoping that one of Kelly or Nighbor make it to the Rangers pick

Uh, so how are you choosing the poll options? Just not adding Kelly/Nighbor until the Rangers pick? Is that how the Rangers got Maurice Richard at #16, despite a fairly clear consensus that he's in heavy contention for #5?

And why is Niedermayer even an option? There's going to be a huge modern / BC bias here, so he might win...

Agreed with Dissonace Jr., the options should be straight up based off of the HOH Top-100 list. Nighbor, Kelly, Plante.

I'd take Plante of the three.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Uh, so how are you choosing the poll options? Just not adding Kelly/Nighbor until the Rangers pick? Is that how the Rangers got Maurice Richard at #16, despite a fairly clear consensus that he's in heavy contention for #5?

And why is Niedermayer even an option? There's going to be a huge modern / BC bias here, so he might win...

Agreed with Dissonace Jr., the options should be straight up based off of the HOH Top-100 list. Nighbor, Kelly, Plante.

I'd take Plante of the three.

Poll options were just the names people voted for. Since 5 official votes were cast, for 5 different players, there had to be a tiebreaker. Polls only happen if I need a tiebreaker. Niedermayer is an option because that's who Nuck Bonino voted for.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Poll options were just the names people voted for. Since 5 official votes were cast, for 5 different players, there had to be a tiebreaker. Polls only happen if I need a tiebreaker. Niedermayer is an option because that's who Nuck Bonino voted for.

Ah missed that, fair enough.

Well, Vancouver is not "winning" this :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad