GDT: NHL All-Star Skills Competition - January 27th - 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I bet Marcus Johannson is laughing his ass of about this photo. That is if he can even open his eyes and focus on a light source yet.

Yeah, I'm not saying McDavid isn't the fastest guy in the league, he is, but I would have liked to see Paul Byron and Jakub Vrana go against him as well.

I liked it better that a guy with a personality, and a great shot, actually won it.

I hated the styrofoam, "Did he nick it? I think he just nicked the corner, lets count that one". Like the lights much better.
I bet Marcus Johannson is laughing his ass of about this photo. That is if he can even open his eyes and focus on a light source yet.

Yeah, I'm not saying McDavid isn't the fastest guy in the league, he is, but I would have liked to see Paul Byron and Jakub Vrana go against him as well.

I liked it better that a guy with a personality, and a great shot, actually won it.

I hated the styrofoam, "Did he nick it? I think he just nicked the corner, lets count that one". Like the lights much better.
To be fair, I think it was Crosby who hit the post but the light registered a hit anyways...

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'd love to know whose idea it was to put rakell in the fastest skater competition

guy has never been known as a fast skater. would have made far more sense to put him in the most accurate shot contest

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I agree that the skaters build up their speed coming out of the turn around the nets but not all the way through the turn.
I would love to see a straight away speed component added.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
What they need to do is solidify the events here ahead of time. Then they make every team hold their skills competition with the exact same format before the league comp. They should then invite (compel,) the 3 (or maybe 5,) best players frome each division at each event come and compete here, wether or not they are in the All-Star game or not. That way we have the actual best at each event. The All-Stars aren't necessarily the best at every single thing.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Overall that was a pretty lackluster skills competition. Next year, have them play ice dodge-puck with tennis balls. That would be fun to watch!

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
i'd love to know whose idea it was to put rakell in the fastest skater competition

guy has never been known as a fast skater. would have made far more sense to put him in the most accurate shot contest

They apparently had trouble finding skaters willing to participate in the fastest skate competition because most didn't think they had a shot against McDavid. Rakell probably just volunteered.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That was almost guaranteedly a different lap than this one.
I wouldn't be surprised if Grabner did skate faster than McDavid, but no player, current or past, skates this lap in 12.8 seconds.

Agree, most players who do it in practice do it differently. Also, give them a puck and this conversation ends. McDavid skates just as fast with the puck and that's really the amazing part of his speed.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
I think they did a pretty good job with the event this year.

Fastest skater: was good. Glad they went back to the full rink lap.

Passing challenge: was great aside from the strange middle bumper section...which could use some tweaking. They also need to put countdown timers on the targets in stage one. 3...2....1.... Instead of the bumpers...I'd like to see some kind of moving net(s) that players have to pass into.

Save Streak: was actually really good compared to all the past variations of shootout events. I'm glad they let every shooter take a shot and then even continued it if the captain didn't score.

Stickhandling: challenge was interesting...but I think they could do better for sure. Not sold on this event. They should do something like Kane did in that video where he has to stickhandle around a bunch of pucks that are coming at him.

Accuracy Shooting: they need countdown timers like I suggested for the passing targets. At the very least have them turn yellow when they're about to change in 1 second.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO

Passing challenge: was great aside from the strange middle bumper section...which could use some tweaking. They also need to put countdown timers on the targets in stage one. 3...2....1.... Instead of the bumpers...I'd like to see some kind of moving net(s) that players have to pass into.

Save Streak: was actually really good compared to all the past variations of shootout events. I'm glad they let every shooter take a shot and then even continued it if the captain didn't score.

Stickhandling: challenge was interesting...but I think they could do better for sure. Not sold on this event. They should do something like Kane did in that video where he has to stickhandle around a bunch of pucks that are coming at him.

Accuracy Shooting: they need countdown timers like I suggested for the passing targets. At the very least have them turn yellow when they're about to change in 1 second.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I agree with all of this. The middle section of the passing challenge was complete filler. The save streak was probably the most entertaining event. I'd like to have seen every goalie participate. The stickhandling competition was ruined by the last leg. Replace the last leg with something entirely different and you have a competition. The accuracy shooting was an interesting wrinkle, but it needs further tweaking. I'd like to see guys get two laps in the fastest skater, but of course there are time considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad