GDT: NHL All-Star Skills Competition - January 27th - 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
z2xJbW4.jpg

2018 GEICO NHL® All-Star Skills Competition: Sat, Jan 27 | 7pm ET (NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

2018 Honda NHL® All-Star Game: Sun, Jan 28 | 3:30pm ET (NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

CBC legal stream: WATCH | HNIC: All-Star Skills Competition | CBC Sports

Atlantic CentralMetropolitan Pacific
Aleksander Barkov Patrick Kane Josh Bailey Brock Boeser
Jack Eichel Nathan MacKinnon Brian Boyle * Johnny Gaudreau
Nikita Kucherov Brayden Schenn Sidney Crosby Anze Kopitar
Brad Marchand Tyler Seguin Claude Giroux Connor McDavid (C)
Auston Matthews Eric Staal Alex Ovechkin (C) James Neal
Brayden Point * Blake Wheeler John Tavares Rickard Rakell
Steven Stamkos (C) John Klingberg Noah Hanifin Brent Burns
Mike Green Alex Pietrangelo Kris Letang Drew Doughty
Erik Karlsson P.K. Subban (C) Zach Werenski * Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Carey Price Connor Hellebuyck Braden Holtby Marc-Andre Fleury
Andrei Vasilevskiy Pekka Rinne Henrik Lundqvist Mike Smith *
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sk8M8 and RDTBay4

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
man..this is like the quietest all star weekend ever...in fact i didn't even know it was this weekend

Reactions: Shaffer

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
All-star game followd by the royal rumble is going to make for a good weekend. Too many people bitch about the compitition instead of enjoying it for what it is. A skills exhibition to let each team show off a player from their team to get other fans to pay attention to other teams. When I was younger I only knew who players in the national league in baseball were from allstars. They rarely played each other so it was an honor for the players saying hey good job. And for the fans they get to see players they might never pay attention to if they play once a year.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
man..this is like the quietest all star weekend ever...in fact i didn't even know it was this weekend
Same here
I wish for the all star competition they brought the actual hardest shots and fastest skaters to the competition, even if they not playing the next day. It would be fun seeing an actual comp of the best of the best
This.
And also the anything goes shootout needs to make a comeback no matter how corny it was

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I like the skills competition and I actually think the 3vs3 tourney is a great idea, but some of the players ruin it by not competing enough. No one is expecting them to lay out big checks or lay down in front of a slapshot but its just no fun to watch guys make plays against stupidly lazy D.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
All-star game is historically a charity event, I feel it should be made into that again.

I realize clubs mandate a certain amount of charity for their players to lend time towards, and many exceed that themselves. But it would be nice perhaps if every division represented a charity with a 1st to 4th place finish based on goals scored during the All-Star game. All charities will receive in the end in amounts befitting 1st to 4th place finishes. Let the owners give.

This would make the game worthwhile again imo.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
All-star game is historically a charity event, I feel it should be made into that again.

I realize clubs mandate a certain amount of charity for their players to lend time towards, and many exceed that themselves. But it would be nice perhaps if every division represented a charity with a 1st to 4th place finish based on goals scored during the All-Star game. All charities will receive in the end in amounts befitting 1st to 4th place finishes. Let the owners give.

Last year, they did a celebrity charity game before the skills competition for Echos of Hope

Rosters released for All-Star Celebrity Shootout

Vinik just donated a street hockey rink, and the ceremony featured the 2018 ASG logo, and it'll be partially funded by the 50/50 ASG raffle. Seems to be a trend - Willie O'Ree just had a street hockey rink donated by the Bruins in his honor.

NHL, Viniks continue to leave lasting legacy in Tampa Bay

They seem to have a legacy project each year for the ASG that leaves something permanent in the city where the ASG is played:

2018 NHL All-Star 50/50 Raffle

The first time Chara broke the hardest shot record, he got the other hardest shot folks to put up $1000 each, with the winner getting the money to donate to their charity. The NHL also put up $6000.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
All-star game followd by the royal rumble is going to make for a good weekend. Too many people ***** about the compitition instead of enjoying it for what it is. A skills exhibition to let each team show off a player from their team to get other fans to pay attention to other teams. When I was younger I only knew who players in the national league in baseball were from allstars. They rarely played each other so it was an honor for the players saying hey good job. And for the fans they get to see players they might never pay attention to if they play once a year.

The Skills Competition is the only part of AS Weekend I like anymore to be honest, and even my enjoyment of that has diminished since we traded Weber (I really only wanted to see how hard he'd blast the puck).

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Just selects a team. The rumour is next years will be in san jose.

There's a bit more to it than that. The city has to have the proper facilities (notably: a large enough convention center and plenty of hotel space) just to be able to handle the logistics of it all.

But yeah, after that the NHL pretty much just selects a city that seems like a good fit.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL

Lightning owner Jeff Vinik donated a skating rink to the Vinik Boys and Girls Club, and there has been several other charitable things going on as well.

Vinik is the most charitable person in this area since Steinbrenner. Heck he gives a $50,000 check away to a "Community Hero" every home game and IIRC $100,000 per home playoff game. He's been doing it since 2011 when he bought the team.

Lightning Community Heroes

If you think it should be about charity, this owner is the embodiment of that, and the NHL chose a great place for their All Star Game.

Reactions: Master P
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad