NHL 24 - Anyone still play these games?

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Just picked up NHL 24. Anyone interested in getting some club going? Got a couple members already that are looking like they'll play.

I figured now with crossplay we might be able to get enough guys to form some sort of team.

On the fence whether I like the changes so far to the gameplay. I haven't played much since NHL 14 but wanted to give this one a go.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Damn dude I've been craving NHL for years. Played every year since 2003 all the way up to 2021 until I sold my Xbox RIP. Only missed 2004 and 2011.

All I ever played was online versus. Always played with the Habs. And I would play the game catering to whichever player I was using.

So if I was Travis Moen, I would play a grindy game - drive the net, and use his strength along the boards. If I was Gallagher, I'd play extremely aggressive - hammer it on net whenever I had a decent opportunity and create havoc in front of net, hacking away at rebounds. Gionta on breakways, I used to do his fake shot and then backhand move and it worked like a charm. Subban, Perry, Radulov etc same thing.

So fun playing this way. I played everyone as best as I could, exactly how I watched them in real life. Took it very seriously and it was so intense, I usually couldn't go more than 3 games without having to take a big break. Too much mental energy and passion lmao.

The most fun I had might have been 2021. We had a lot of big players that year. Weber, Chiarot, Petry, Edmundson, Perry, Staal, Armia, Anderson.

You probably know where this is going. I found a new love for physicality. My aim was to be the most toxic player I could. I learned you could throw monster hits with any player, depending on location of hit/speed of each player/timing and direction of both analog sticks.

it was almost an art for me. I learned to master hitting and spent my entire game decking guys. Id shoot for 50-60 quality hits a Game and just chase guys all game. Played as aggressive as i possibly could. Finishing every single check, and these were prime hits too. Big time hits I'm telling you EA really nailed it there with the physics in the game. The potential for monster hit is there every single time if you do it right.

surprisingly it was the most dominant I ever played. Constant hitting would tire the opposing players out very quickly. Injured 2-3 players a game (I think the max was 3). Id have so many odd man chances because half their team is hurling in their knees taking 10 seconds just to get up. And then I'd often wait for them to get up, and deck them again right back on the ice and t-bag. Then his teammate tries to come in and I shoulder him in the face and go for a 2-0 and score.

Opponent would play so scared after he realizes what kind of game he was in for. was so funny. Loved it man. weber and chiarot were my favs. And 4th line of Perry - Staal - Armia was bomb too. I hope to get an Xbox soon so I can get back to work.

Last edited:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
EA ruined every game, they ruined, Fifa, NBA, UFC, NFL, NHL... I hate them. I used to play Fifa (EA FC), but now I switched to Efootball (PES/Winning Eleven) the gameplay is way better. :popcorn:

Reactions: Doc McKenna

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
You mean the same game since 2014? It’s just a roster update which is heart breaking because I used to live those games. It would be awesome if 2K made one
I'm not going to say it's better, I'm really not sold yet. But the gameplay is pretty different this year, including a new control scheme.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
EA sucks. They don't even publish the NHL franchise on PC anymore. The last two FIFAs were completely broken on PC. Would love if people boycotted that awful company. They've destroyed so many great franchises.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
EA sucks. They don't even publish the NHL franchise on PC anymore. The last two FIFAs were completely broken on PC. Would love if people boycotted that awful company. They've destroyed so many great franchises.
Such a shame bro I WISH they had it on PC. Having a hard time justifying an Xbox for one game lol

Reactions: DavePeak

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Stopped buying the games at least 10 years ago. Way too expensive for a roster update.

For awhile I thought the game play changes they were making we’re making the gameplay worse. I just couldn’t be bothered now. EA ruined any chance of me ever coming back.

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I still the the original NHL hockey on Genesis this was one of the greatest leap in video game history, still remember looking at the demo in window of a mall store and it blew my mind… I stop buying every year around 2000 than I started buying used, it seem that for every improvement they also drop or change something for the worst like when franchise mode only had 5 years while NFL had unlimited and cap management if they could make it for one game why could they copy it to the other sport.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
EA ruined every game, they ruined, Fifa, NBA, UFC, NFL, NHL... I hate them. I used to play Fifa (EA FC), but now I switched to Efootball (PES/Winning Eleven) the gameplay is way better. :popcorn:
Add the Sims and Star Wars.

Problem is they don't have enough competition so they sit on their laurels and exploit their IPs to churn cash. They don't really give a flying f*** about us.

E-Sports will remain a joke until internet speeds get leveled up everywhere. The qualifiers are filled with bad connections, bit EA sells it to you as if it's all above board and pretend it's la crême de la crême you're seeing.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Just picked up NHL 24. Anyone interested in getting some club going? Got a couple members already that are looking like they'll play.

I figured now with crossplay we might be able to get enough guys to form some sort of team.

On the fence whether I like the changes so far to the gameplay. I haven't played much since NHL 14 but wanted to give this one a go.
I just got it. I like your avatar and your idea. I’m in.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Nah, they ruined the games a long time ago.

I was on the HF Habs team when 09 came out and EASHL debut (best game in franchise history).

Me and my buddies broke off to form Face Palm where we narrowly missed going to Vancouver for the finals tournament. We were fluctuating between 8th-13th best in the world and my best and I were two of the top point producers.

Then as the game kept getting worse and worse, we got older, we eventually stopped. Was fun then, though.

Best part is STLRams514 was on that team, used to post here a lot; and we became life long friends. Me and my best friend stood in his wedding, he stood in ours.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Nah, they ruined the games a long time ago.

I was on the HF Habs team when 09 came out and EASHL debut (best game in franchise history).

Me and my buddies broke off to form Face Palm where we narrowly missed going to Vancouver for the finals tournament. We were fluctuating between 8th-13th best in the world and my best and I were two of the top point producers.

Then as the game kept getting worse and worse, we got older, we eventually stopped. Was fun then, though.

Best part is STLRams514 was on that team, used to post here a lot; and we became life long friends. Me and my best friend stood in his wedding, he stood in ours.
I feel this.

Waayyy back in the day when the original Unreal and then the original Unreal Tournament were things, I played in perhaps the 2nd / 3rd best UK Unreal / UT clan depending on the maps. We beat the top guys a couple of times in online DM too. Made some good friends, did the mutual weddings thing with them too.

Fair play.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm not going to say it's better, I'm really not sold yet. But the gameplay is pretty different this year, including a new control scheme.
They entirely ruined it this year by following last year's trash and catering to crappy players. They made the game more arcadish an unrealistic.....the old EA motto "It's In the Game" is no longer a priority.

I am too old with too much of an injury history to play real hockey competitively anymore but was able to make LG NHL squads at one point before finally moving away from the toxic competition that comes with high end gaming. This is the only video game that I have ever really played and it was fun when it was more realistic and hockey IQ was relevant.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I still the the original NHL hockey on Genesis this was one of the greatest leap in video game history, still remember looking at the demo in window of a mall store and it blew my mind… I stop buying every year around 2000 than I started buying used, it seem that for every improvement they also drop or change something for the worst like when franchise mode only had 5 years while NFL had unlimited and cap management if they could make it for one game why could they copy it to the other sport.

The original was funny. You could get in a fight while a guy is celebrating a goal.

I thought nhl 95 was the greatest thing when it came out. Thays when they introduced the season mode, and you could make trades. There was also an awards show at the end of the year.

It sounds like small potatoes now, but that was a huge jump back then.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It feels way different than the last few years. I can't seem to lay hits anymore. It's gotten more difficult, but I like it.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Geez , it's been a while. I remember my buddies and I for 5-6 years had Monday night tournaments starting the first year the game came out on Genesis.
Which ever guy picked Pittsburgh in the weekly random draw was almost sure he'd win the tournament.
Mario Lemieux and Kevin Stevens were unstoppable in those first years.
Yeah, I know I'm old

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I play in an EASHL team with @Harry22 and a handful of other friends. The game is very different from 23, but I've been enjoying it (since they released the patch to fix the broken menu. Still A LOT of graphical glitches in the game, but the gameplay is fun. It rewards passing the puck around way more than fast breaks compared to older games so there's definitely a learning curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad