NHL 23 Discussion

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
Is it worth grabbing EA Play for $5/mo to play NHL23 with my kid online?

I like the idea of Franchise Mode too, I don’t know that any other modes will attract my attention.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Is there some sort of "everything you could possibly need to know about faceoffs in NHL 23" guide out there somewhere?

Center is my ideal position in World of Chel... but despite being pretty good at the timing of it, and having a general idea of how faceoffs work (kind of a rock paper scissors) and what generally wins most against what, most games I lose the majority of the faceoffs for some reason... so I avoid playing center.

It keeps telling me "Good Timing" even when I lose the faceoff, and sometimes it says "Lower Skill" as though the other guys stats are higher than mine... but as far as I can tell there are no boosts I can apply to the Faceoffs stat. I just pick a build with the highest starting Faceoff stat and try to make it work. Maybe other stats effect it too? But which ones? I don't think there are any X Factor dealies to significantly improve faceoffs but I could be wrong.

I beat the AI most of the time so I don't think I'm doing anything too wrong, but other actual people always beat the crap out of me (faceoff-wise).

Since I do have a general feel for it, it's kind of hard to believe I'm that bad at faceoffs so I'm hoping there's just something I'm missing about it.

Last edited:

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Is there some sort of "everything you could possibly need to know about faceoffs in NHL 23" guide out there somewhere?

Center is my ideal position in World of Chel... but despite being pretty good at the timing of it, and having a general idea of how faceoffs work (kind of a rock paper scissors) and what generally wins most against what, most games I lose the majority of the faceoffs for some reason... so I avoid playing center.

It keeps telling me "Good Timing" even when I lose the faceoff, and sometimes it says "Lower Skill" as though the other guys stats are higher than mine... but as far as I can tell there are no boosts I can apply to the Faceoffs stat. I just pick a build with the highest starting Faceoff stat and try to make it work. Maybe other stats effect it too? But which ones? I don't think there are any X Factor dealies to significantly improve faceoffs but I could be wrong.

I beat the AI most of the time so I don't think I'm doing anything too wrong, but other actual people always beat the crap out of me (faceoff-wise).

Since I do have a general feel for it, it's kind of hard to believe I'm that bad at faceoffs so I'm hoping there's just something I'm missing about it.
Might be a dumb question but just to make sure: you do know you can edit your attributes, right?

You're right that there is no faceoff boost. But every build, even D builds I think, can have the faceoff ability cranked up to 90. Take points out of fighting and/or dekeing to get it there. The good news is no build can go higher than 90, so the game is pretty even in that regard.

Your center build in EASHL should absolutely have a faceoff stat of 90 if you want to have any shot at being 50% on draws.

If you're already doing that, the rest comes down to ping, your actual timing on the controller, and using the rock paper scissor system to your advantage as best you can.

Reactions: Dreakon13

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I'll say the Roster Share feature that imports full draft classes and prospects (NCAA and Russian guys) might make this game worth it over others

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
If you read this and you haven't bought the game yet (I know it's been out for quite some time now), I strongly recommend you not to buy this game.

I bought it on discount for like $30, I still feel robbed.

Waste of space on my hard-drive, shit game. Only worth it if you really like playing hockey games and you don't own NHL 22.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
If you read this and you haven't bought the game yet (I know it's been out for quite some time now), I strongly recommend you not to buy this game.

I bought it on discount for like $30, I still feel robbed.

Waste of space on my hard-drive, shit game. Only worth it if you really like playing hockey games and you don't own NHL 22.
It's semi salvageable if you play franchise mode and heavily adjust the sliders, and play a certain way with the strategies. And don't take advantage of the front of the net wrap glitch goal. You can get something kind of resembling hockey, but the ice tilt feature is still there, and when it's not (aka playing on pro), the game is way too easy.

I agree with you, though. I'd say it's worth about $5-$10. NHL 24 will very likely be the same.

And when will they fix the bloody powerplay, PK and 3 on 3 AI? It's godawful. And the damn backskating the AI always does looks so unnatural and makes it frustrating as hell to position lock and play with them.

Last edited:

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
It's semi salvageable if you play franchise mode and heavily adjust the sliders, and play a certain way with the strategies. And don't take advantage of the front of the net wrap glitch goal. You can get something kind of resembling hockey, but the ice tilt feature is still there, and when it's not (aka playing on pro), the game is way too easy.

I agree with you, though. I'd say it's worth about $5-$10. NHL 24 will very likely be the same.

And when will they fix the bloody powerplay, PK and 3 on 3 AI? It's godawful.
The game is shit and too easy. I beat the A.I quite comfortably on superstar difficulty.

Reactions: Petey O

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
The game is shit and too easy. I beat the A.I quite comfortably on superstar difficulty.
Only way I find it enjoyable is resisting the urge for glitch goals and trying to play simple hockey. I have to actually restrain how I play so I don't win every game 8-3.. or position lock for that matter.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Might be a dumb question but just to make sure: you do know you can edit your attributes, right?

You're right that there is no faceoff boost. But every build, even D builds I think, can have the faceoff ability cranked up to 90. Take points out of fighting and/or dekeing to get it there. The good news is no build can go higher than 90, so the game is pretty even in that regard.

Your center build in EASHL should absolutely have a faceoff stat of 90 if you want to have any shot at being 50% on draws.

If you're already doing that, the rest comes down to ping, your actual timing on the controller, and using the rock paper scissor system to your advantage as best you can.
Damnit, I never knew that. I'm stupid lol. Thanks!

Reactions: Punished ROR

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Do you think mutant league hockey would be something that could be released in this day and age, or is it too violent.
I loved that game on Genesis back in the day, I used to win by forfeit most of the time cause I’d usually exterminate so many opposing players they couldn’t field a team haha

CalderSchmalder

Jul 26, 2009
Vancouver

Sleeves has a great video guide on face offs in the game, check it out

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I wonder if other players have the same 'problem' as I have. I think I might reinstall NHL18 because I’m finding Franchise Mode a bit too ‘easy’ as the years go on in the sim.

NHL 20 seemed to only have DEFENSIVE defenseman in almost every draft. I think I would only grab an OFD through FA or trade.

NHL 21 for some reason seems to have a great abundance of MED - ELITE goalies; especially in the later rounds. I feel ‘bad’ hoarding all of the MED elite goalies, but I sometimes part with one or two and acquire a highly touted draft pick/player.

Haven’t played 22 or 23.. but don’t know if it’s worth playing the newer iterations, or if I should go back to NHL 17 or 18

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
NHL 21 for some reason seems to have a great abundance of MED - ELITE goalies; especially in the later rounds. I feel ‘bad’ hoarding all of the MED elite goalies, but I sometimes part with one or two and acquire a highly touted draft pick/player.

This has been an issue in franchise mode for a while. You can usually get 2-3 goalies late in every draft that will turn into starters. It's very easy to leave them unsigned until they are pending UFAs, sign them to an ELC, then trade them for first round picks when you have too many.

shenmue16

Apr 19, 2023
Interesting little thing in franchise mode that I noticed. I started an original six franchise mode with the Bruins, got a pretty good team going. When playing NHL and Madden I always tend to trade all of my draft picks outside the first round when I'm building up the roster with talent, normally in a 32 team league getting offers for a combination of lower draft picks (i.e. two 3rd rounds for a second) or one better draft pick for the next season (a third in '24 for a second in '23). In a six team league the valuation of draft picks becomes very glitched. Essentially, you can deal any pick within the first four rounds for a first rounder. However, no matter what deal I attempted, I could not get all five draft picks. Chicago was constantly refusing any deal I gave them.

It makes me wonder about what systems are still in the game that we're not aware of, because I get the feeling that a lot of the former features are still coded in the game, but just not apparent. I know in previous games you had relationship values with different teams that shifted based on the quality of your offers. So for example a better deal for the other team increased the relationship between you and the team, while a more insulting offer would make it even more difficult to make deals.

I still get the feeling that (after 13 straight years of playing franchise mode) that the series is more lackluster and stagnate than ever. At this point there should be a number of features, including banner raising (which would change within the arena), detailed and complete record keeping of each player/award/manager/coach (like in NBA 2K), accurate stanley cup finals patches that change year to year, teams either changing their visual designs or moving arenas over time, custom uniform combinations (something done in the mid 00s), the financial aspect actually having an impact on franchise mode, jersey retirements, regular season storylines, rule changes, improved presentation, long-term injuries (and even career ending injuries), NHL combine, improved free agency, and a lot of other minor things. The game is halfway decent, but it just has so much further to go before it can even be competitive in the declining market of sports games.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Oh so if the other team presses pause right before you get to take a penalty shot in threes eashl it glitches out and you lose the shot. Just goes right to the face off. Jesus this game is broken.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Wish it would show how much respect I was getting when I'm in the handshake line after choking away yet another playoff series with my young, talented core.
Wish it would allow me to change my second line " center" permanently to a lw as that's what he is in real life, won't let you change once you start a franchise

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I wonder if other players have the same 'problem' as I have. I think I might reinstall NHL18 because I’m finding Franchise Mode a bit too ‘easy’ as the years go on in the sim.

NHL 20 seemed to only have DEFENSIVE defenseman in almost every draft. I think I would only grab an OFD through FA or trade.

Haven’t played 22 or 23.. but don’t know if it’s worth playing the newer iterations, or if I should go back to NHL 17 or 18
NHL 19 is the best. AI plays smarter, controls solid. Traditional game mode in All Star the best.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I seem to have a hard time finding good WhL scouts, above B’s. I can find some scouts that are good in the whl from other regions, does anyone else have this issue?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad