NHL 23 Discussion

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Is the online menus constantly moving at a slow pace for anyone else here? Takes almost 5 mins for any EASHL menus to load including in between games. Trying to get back into the dressing room takes forever.

Started happening ever since the NHL 24 beta release.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I feel like half of the players in 6v6 drop in Chel are bots that spam the pause button until the pauses run out... then vaguely play something resembling hockey, poorly, until their teammates quit.

I'm just not sure why someone would develop or use this botting software.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Looks like the Chel season ended yesterday. Playing without RP just destroys and semblance of competitiveness. When does the new season start?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Looks like the Chel season ended yesterday. Playing without RP just destroys and semblance of competitiveness. When does the new season start?
Think that was the last playoffs until NHL24 so we might not get any more RP? Can't remember exactly how it went down in last year's version.

If we do, its usually 3 to 4 days after playoffs end. So, Thursday most likely?

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I have no idea how to ask this but here goes...

I was playing a game of Online Versus a few minutes ago and just had to quit. Literally any time I got within 10 feet of another player, they'd immediately poke check the puck off of me. No matter what angle I approached them, no matter how much I twisted, turned or used the skill stick or A/X button to pull the puck away. Not just stripping the puck clean, but every time it'd go to some AI player hanging around in the area. Hell, even if I tried to pass to get around them, the poke check disrupts the pass almost every time.

On the other hand, they'd be walking into the zone, I'd have literally three players draped on top of them body checking, poke checking, etc in generally the right spots and they push right through me. Even if I do knock the puck off for a split second, they just laugh and grab it again and I'm f***ed.

I refuse to believe people are that surgically perfect poke checkers, they always do it at the perfect angle, always do it perfectly with AI players in the vicinity to pick up the puck, etc. I've always kind of assumed it was because I play as the Sabres and they suck at everything so the odds are going to be stacked against me... but I'm not so sure.

What, if any, is the secret sauce to the poke check button? Are random players really just that consistently perfect?

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I have no idea how to ask this but here goes...

I was playing a game of Online Versus a few minutes ago and just had to quit. Literally any time I got within 10 feet of another player, they'd immediately poke check the puck off of me. No matter what angle I approached them, no matter how much I twisted, turned or used the skill stick or A/X button to pull the puck away. Not just stripping the puck clean, but every time it'd go to some AI player hanging around in the area. Hell, even if I tried to pass to get around them, the poke check disrupts the pass almost every time.

On the other hand, they'd be walking into the zone, I'd have literally three players draped on top of them body checking, poke checking, etc in generally the right spots and they push right through me. Even if I do knock the puck off for a split second, they just laugh and grab it again and I'm f***ed.

I refuse to believe people are that surgically perfect poke checkers, they always do it at the perfect angle, always do it perfectly with AI players in the vicinity to pick up the puck, etc. I've always kind of assumed it was because I play as the Sabres and they suck at everything so the odds are going to be stacked against me... but I'm not so sure.

What, if any, is the secret sauce to the poke check button? Are random players really just that consistently perfect?

It's all about timing.

And it certainly helps *a lot* if your opponent isn't using protect puck and isn't using the skill stick to move the puck to the opposite side of their body.

I'm endlessly amazed how many players in CHEL don't use the stick to put their body between the puck and the defender.

If you are using protect puck and stick handling the puck away from the defender (out of their reach) it's pretty easy not to be poke checked.

Last edited:
Reactions: belair

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It's all about timing.

And it certainly helps *a lot* if your opponent isn't using protect puck and isn't using the skill stick to move the puck to the opposite side of their body.

I'm endlessly amazed how many players in CHEL don't use the stick to put their body between the puck and the defender.

If you are using protect puck and stick handling the puck away from the defender (out of their reach) it's pretty easy not to be poke checked.

Like I said, I did everything short of skating backwards into the zone to keep the puck out of the way and it was like magic the way they were hitting it every time, no matter what. Puck protect, skill stick, it really didn't matter at all.

Even moreso that every time they tapped me, the puck flew off with no chance of me recovering it. Where I frequently nail a poke check, separate the player from the puck, but they just casually grab it again and carry on like a light breeze blew by them.

It's getting to the point where I should probably just not play anymore because it's incredibly frustrating and there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. Not unlike someone poking you in the face over and over again until your fist accidentally takes a few of their teeth out.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Like I said, I did everything short of skating backwards into the zone to keep the puck out of the way and it was like magic the way they were hitting it every time, no matter what. Puck protect, skill stick, it really didn't matter at all.

Even moreso that every time they tapped me, the puck flew off with no chance of me recovering it. Where I frequently nail a poke check, separate the player from the puck, but they just casually grab it again and carry on like a light breeze blew by them.

It's getting to the point where I should probably just not play anymore because it's incredibly frustrating and there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. Not unlike someone poking you in the face over and over again until your fist accidentally takes a few of their teeth out.

I don't really know what to tell you because the poke check has been really nerfed in NHL23 so if you can't carry the puck anywhere near an opponent without them pokechecking it away from you, I'm at a loss.

It's not difficult to defend against the nerfed poke check, as I said, all you have to do is a combo of protect puck and use your body to shield the puck from defender (move it to the other side of your body) and if you do that, it's not even possible for them poke check you.

I don't know what else to tell you, but must people would say that poke checking is pretty useless in this game if you're playing a person that understands the basics.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
all you have to do is a combo of protect puck and use your body to shield the puck from defender (move it to the other side of your body) and if you do that, it's not even possible for them poke check you

With all due respect, that isn't true.

But I'd probably need some solid video evidence to show just how insanely perfect some people are at poke checking at almost any angle with any combination of things I've tried... and I barely want to play the game again because of this, no less play against these people long enough to document it. So agree to disagree.

If there isn't a magic "make my poke check perfect every time" button, I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to the Sabres being so bad at puck protection statistically that it defies the games own mechanisms. I'm woefully aware of the tax I pay for playing as them this past decade of NHL releases.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With all due respect, that isn't true.

But I'd probably need some solid video evidence to show just how insanely perfect some people are at poke checking at almost any angle with any combination of things I've tried... and I barely want to play the game again because of this, no less play against these people long enough to document it. So agree to disagree.

If there isn't a magic "make my poke check perfect every time" button, I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to the Sabres being so bad at puck protection statistically that it defies the games own mechanisms. I'm woefully aware of the tax I pay for playing as them this past decade of NHL releases.
A big part of defending in the game is also body position. If a player can get inside on the puck carrier and disrupt his stick mechanics and momentum, the player doesn't even need to poke or stick lift to force a loss of possession.

As a puck carrier, you need to determine which of your passing options are skating the safest routes. The best players in online CHEL are usually seeing plays two or three passes in advance. They know where their skaters are moving and can adjust quickly based on how their opponents defend.

If you're having a problem moving through the trap in versus, @FerrisRox is right. You probably aren't timing your entries correctly. The best thing I can tell you beyond using the cheaty mechanics is to consistently pass back and reset your entries. Change up your breakouts and focus on hitting guys who have clean lanes and lots of speed.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
He said that if I hold the puck on the opposite side of the opposing player and/or press A that I'm literally impossible to poke check, which is nonsense. It's either a gross oversimplification or just completely false. So no, he's not right.

And yes, I know how body position and hockey works. It literally doesn't matter sometimes.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He said that if I hold the puck on the opposite side of the opposing player and/or press A that I'm literally impossible to poke check, which is nonsense. It's either a gross oversimplification or just completely false. So no, he's not right.

And yes, I know how body position and hockey works. It literally doesn't matter sometimes.

You're quite simply wrong.

If I hold the puck on my left side, fully extended out, and I'm using protect puck, and the defender is on my right side, his stick is literally nowhere close to long enough to poke check the puck away from me.

That's not my opinion, it's a simple fact. He would need to have a six or seven foot long stick. It's simply not a possibility.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I literally just held my stick to the left, defender on the right, pressed protect puck, I tried to go around them to the outside, and they smacked the puck off my stick. I think what you're trying to say is just "never go near other players and they can't poke check you", which is ridiculous advice but not untrue... but it's coming out as "press these two magic buttons and their poke check won't work anymore".

In either case, even if I followed this advice, it doesn't explain why people can push through three players poke-checking them and either not lose the puck or quickly grab it back... when apparently I have to cower in the fetal position anytime I'm within 10 feet of a player.

EDIT: Just as a sidenote, unless the answer is "we agree, this game sucks and people are exploiting something (or things) somehow to be consistently perfect" or "you got unlucky and played the most amazing poke checker to ever grace an NHL game", this conversation probably isn't going to go as well as you hope. I apologize in advance but it's probably best to just let me vent lol.

Last edited:

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
You're quite simply wrong.

If I hold the puck on my left side, fully extended out, and I'm using protect puck, and the defender is on my right side, his stick is literally nowhere close to long enough to poke check the puck away from me.

That's not my opinion, it's a simple fact. He would need to have a six or seven foot long stick. It's simply not a possibility.

I literally just held my stick to the left, defender on the right, pressed protect puck, I tried to go around them to the outside, and they smacked the puck off my stick. I think what you're trying to say is just "never go near other players and they can't poke check you", which is ridiculous advice but not untrue... but it's coming out as "press these two magic buttons and their poke check won't work anymore".

In either case, even if I followed this advice, it doesn't explain why people can push through three players poke-checking them and either not lose the puck or quickly grab it back... when apparently I have to cower in the fetal position anytime I'm within 10 feet of a player.

EDIT: Just as a sidenote, unless the answer is "we agree, this game sucks and people are exploiting something (or things) somehow to be consistently perfect" or "you got unlucky and played the most amazing poke checker to ever grace an NHL game", this conversation probably isn't going to go as well as you hope. I apologize in advance but it's probably best to just let me vent lol.
I think you two should provide screen shots or video examples. Might clear things up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

If you turn your back to an opponent and puck protect, it will most likely cause them to take a tripping penalty if they use RB/R2. The only way they can successfully poke is by having the correct angle and gap to engage you. The direction your momentum is taking you is also important.

But if they're initiating light contact and knocking pucks off of you, you need to anticipate the loss of possession or your player will simply skate away from pucks. Body position always matters in this game. But so does play anticipation. Some players think that if they continue skating, the puck will follow. Players that anticipate a loss of possession are likelier to win pucks back.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Just fired this up for the first time in nearly 6 months and god it's completely unplayable. I don't know what happened but players are all glitchy and unresponsive and sluggish.

Even before the glitchy players I hated how useless your AI teammates are. This game was clearly designed for people to do neat one on one dekes and stuff, not smart passing plays and cycling.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
If you turn your back to an opponent and puck protect, it will most likely cause them to take a tripping penalty if they use RB/R2. The only way they can successfully poke is by having the correct angle and gap to engage you. The direction your momentum is taking you is also important.

But if they're initiating light contact and knocking pucks off of you, you need to anticipate the loss of possession or your player will simply skate away from pucks. Body position always matters in this game. But so does play anticipation. Some players think that if they continue skating, the puck will follow. Players that anticipate a loss of possession are likelier to win pucks back.

That's all fine, except the things you say don't happen, like "if you keep skating the puck won't follow", does happen for other people but not for me lol. I'm also not going to skate into the zone backwards every time because that's stupid and they'd probably still poke the puck anyways.

Like the other guy said, I'd need to collect some video evidence to show you guys and I'm just not willing to put myself through that. So at the end of the day, there's no secret sauce that makes poke checking magically work every time for some people... I'm just milliseconds off with my puck protect and they're lucky little shits that have probably practiced day in and day out making sure they have the absolutely perfectly correct angle every time I'm anywhere near them. Fair enough, f*** them and their shitty lives.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad