NHL 22 Franchise

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Hey there,

Not sure how many here are holdovers from NHL 19/20/early 21 but I used to do some pretty lengthy write up series for franchise, and was thinkimg about getting back into writing once I get NHL 22 for Xmas.

I do it for my own enjoyment, but also love the feedback, responses and reactions to my sims...anyone here still looking to read something like this and even post in the thread with your own Franchise sims?

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Hey there,

Not sure how many here are holdovers from NHL 19/20/early 21 but I used to do some pretty lengthy write up series for franchise, and was thinkimg about getting back into writing once I get NHL 22 for Xmas.

I do it for my own enjoyment, but also love the feedback, responses and reactions to my sims...anyone here still looking to read something like this and even post in the thread with your own Franchise sims?

I definitely enjoyed your write-ups, and still would :)

(Still don't have 22 either and anticipate some hardcore roster edits when I get it so it'd be a while before I'd potentially post anything)

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
I started up a new Islanders franchise mode just cause I thought they'd be an intriguing team to work with, and they certainly have been.

Back to back conference finals irl with a strong defensive style and strong post-season play, but that didn't seem to transfer well to EA's game. I made pretty much no changes to the team in year 1 and finished barely above .500 (36-35-11). Our offense wasn't as good as it should've been, our defense had holes, and our goaltending was atrocious. Had to make some tough decisions in the 2022 offseason. The Isles had so many expensive contracts (Nelson, Bailey, Lee, Pageau, Palmieri, etc. all had high cap hits for what they brough), but we weren't quite in rebuild territory yet. So I did kind of a retool on the fly, and definitely gave the team a fresh look with a bunch of new players.

OUT:
Semyon Varlamov
Ilya Sorokin
Dante Fabbro
Jean-Gabriel Pageau
Josh Bailey
Kyle Palmieri
Casey Cizikas
Matt Martin

IN:
Darcy Kuemper (Free Agency)
Mikko Koskinen (Free Agency)
Alexander Radulov (Free Agency)
Kris Letang (Free Agency)
Trevor Zegras (Trade)
Jamie Drysdale (Trade)
Cody Glass (Trade)
Dustin Brown (Trade)
Darren Helm (Free Agency)
Jay Beagle (Free Agency)
Sammy Blais (Free Agency)

We really desperately needed a true top pair defenseman (Pulock-Pelech wasn't cutting it), so Letang will do in the short-term. We needed to upgrade our goaltending (Varlamov was an 85 by the end of the season), so Kuemper fits well and Koskinen had good numbers and could be signed for cheap (as opposed to Sorokin's $4 million, and he wasn't showing any growth anyway). We needed a true first line winger to play with Barzal, so Radulov will slot in there. We paid for it by shedding several of those expensive contracts (was tough to part with Bailey who has been an Islander forever, Fabbro who is decent and young, and Sorokin). The blockbuster trade with the Ducks saved us some cap space and also brought in two star young players (Drysdale was an 84 when we traded for him on 7/1, and is now an 86 at the start of next season, while Zegras was an 83 when we traded for him on 7/1, and is now an 85 at the start of the next season).

The new lineup:

Lee (85) - Barzal (89) - Radulov (87)
Zegras (85) - Nelson (84) - Wahlstrom (84)
Beauvillier (83) - Glass (80) - Brown (84)
Helm (78) - Beagle (78) - Blais (80)

Drysdale (86) - Letang (87)
Pelech (86) - Pulock (86)
Mayfield (81) - Dobson (81)

Kuemper (89)
Koskinen (81)

We'll see how it works out, as I have yet to start the next season, but hoping the retool is enough to keep us in contention for a few more seasons. Unfortunately, a lot of Metro teams improved over the offseason as well, and we're gonna be in a cap crunch starting next year, with Barzal, Zegras, and Drysdale up for new contracts and nobody major coming off the books, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Great news! NHL 22 for Xmas, and just got my Xbox hooked back up so should have a write up or two posted between today and tomorrow.

Definitely going to start with a Rangers one...but what I'd love to start doing is taking requests for which teams to do and what direction to take them in from youguys.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Great news! NHL 22 for Xmas, and just got my Xbox hooked back up so should have a write up or two posted between today and tomorrow.

Definitely going to start with a Rangers one...but what I'd love to start doing is taking requests for which teams to do and what direction to take them in from youguys.

Do the Rangers, but use only players from one junior team. So no trading for extra picks or anything, or if you do, you must draft players from that team.

See how long it takes to win or get fired. Although I would suggest doing this with a team like Arizona, just because you get more leeway then.

Reactions: kinger8998

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
I will start a career in the next couple of days.
I will pick the Arizona Coyotes and rebuild them but I had a couple of questions for you guys.

I will move the Coyotes, should it be in Quebec (Nordiques), Wisconsin, Hartford or Halifax ?
What should I do with Jacob Chychrun ? Rumor has it he could be moved IRL, my plan is to be as realistic as possible but also only rebuild in 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. By the 2023 offseason I'll be working to make the playoffs.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

I enjoyed your old expansion franchises (probably because I enjoy tinkering with them myself). Seems like it's a bit tougher to build a team from scratch this go around, between the tuning of trade values and increased value of first round picks

Can't go wrong with doing the ol Rangers franchise either however :)

I will start a career in the next couple of days.
I will pick the Arizona Coyotes and rebuild them but I had a couple of questions for you guys.

I will move the Coyotes, should it be in Quebec (Nordiques), Wisconsin, Hartford or Halifax ?
What should I do with Jacob Chychrun ? Rumor has it he could be moved IRL, my plan is to be as realistic as possible but also only rebuild in 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. By the 2023 offseason I'll be working to make the playoffs.

None of those locations really jump out at me (though I'm rather partial to bringing back Hartford in my own leagues). Halifax maybe? It'd be a little different imo...

I'd say move Chychrun. With relocation, it makes even more sense that the two sides might part ways...

Look forward to reading more from both of you! :)

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
New York Rangers Franchise Mode

dLgqgeM.jpg

Setting the Stage

Looking Forward Using the Season Passed

images
images
images

HOCKEY PANELS EXPRESS CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM FOR RANGERS UNDER GUIDE OF SOPHOMORE GM KING

While the Rangers may not have won the Cup, or the draft lottery, that has not stopped them from being one of the most talked about teams once again this offseason. Dominating news cycles for consecutive summers, as the Rangers have done, has not been easy. It took two draft lottery wins, an expensive (worth it) Panarin signing, and now, a return to contention.

Drury stepping aside shockingly in the middle of his first season as GM began worried many fans and pundits, but it seems his choice of rookie GM Brant King as his understudy (Drury remained on as Pres. of Hockey Ops) was a shrewd move. Drury masterfully reshaped the edges of the Rangers last offseason from smooth to rough, and it seems Brant King liked that strategy as well. Although, he showed some creative wits of his own with his moves at both the Trade Deadline and the Draft. Obviously, Chris Drury agreed, or else the deals wouldn't have been made.

Where we first saw GM King's boldenss and deciseiveness was at the 2022 Trade Deadline. He landed two top players in separate deals, but did so at a relatively cheap cost. While he lost Zac Jones and his 2022 1st in the deal, King acquired defenseman Hampus Lindholm from the Anaheim Ducks. While on an expiring deal, Lindholm was not viewed as a one off aging rental like most, but a 28-year old defenseman who could potentially re-sign with the club in the offseason.
Secondly, taking advantage of a market flooded with high end forward rentals like Filip Forsberg, David Perron, Johnny Gaudreau and Phil Kessel, King bought low on the oldest forward, going through a rough season. That forward: Joe Pavelski. Using only a 2022 2nd (retaining St. Louis from the Buchnevich trade), a 2023 3rd and defenseman Libor Hajek, the Rangers acquired the veteran Pavelski, who brought playoff experience and leadership to a young team that needed both qualities heading towards a return to the playoffs.
Lastly, he executed a swap of struggling prospects by trading Julien Gauthier to the Oilers for Ryan MacLeod.

It was a gamble by the young GM; the Rangers were by no means considered favorites at the time, but they certainly showed flashes of brilliance and had the cap space to push their chips to the middle of the table. And they did just that.

------------------------------

The moves paid immediate dividends for the Rangers, as their newly combined top line of Panarin, Zibanejad and Pavelski led them to a 4-3 OT win vs the division rival Hurricanes. In the win, Panarin led the was with 2 goals (3 points), but Pavelski netted his first goal (2 points) and Hampus Lindholm registered his first assist while playing 22:14.

The Rangers snuck into the Playoffs as the last WC, changing over to the Atlantic Division bracket in doing so. After convincing wins over the Lightning and Leafs, they ultimately lost to the Penguins into the Conference Finals, who would go on to win a Stanley Cup, the 4th, and potentially last of the Crosby/Malkin/Letang era.

-------------------------------------

In a shocking draft day move that perplexed many, leading to the cautious ahead of the optimism, the Rangers and Canadiens made a blockbuster trade. Sending Filip Chytil, Adam Huska, a 2023 1st, 2022 2nd and Patrik Nemeth to the Montreal Canadiens for pending RFA goaltneder Cayden Primeau, Jonathan Drouin ($1.2M ret.) and the 12th overall pick in the NHL Entry Draft.

Analysts, league executives and fans alike questioned the move, as the Rangers, after trading their own 2022 1st rounder to acquire Hampus Lindholm, seemingly took a step back as opposed to their forward trending trajectory. Although many expected them to move Nemeths contract in the ensuing cap crunch, not many expected them to trade Chytil without acquiring a bonafide 2nd line, cost controlled center in return. That being said, Jonathan Drouin can be a stop gap option with the year remaining on his deal.

The drafting of Connor Geekie took away some of the confusion, as the 6'4 centreman with a very high ceiling joins the Rangers pipeline. He will undoubtedly one day occupy the #2 centre role behind Mika Zibanejad, and likely soon thereafter pass him on the depth chart.

---------------------------------

GM Brant King and the New York Rangers had lots of free agents this offseason, and combining that with the Cap crunch from the buyouts of ghosts past, they lost high profile UFA's Ryan Strome, Hampus Lindholm and Joe Pavelski. In addition, Greg McKegg, Kevin Rooney and Keith Kinkaid all left the team via FA. The former three

Recently acquired Cayden Primeau resigned as an RFA for 2 years at just under a $1M AAV. Alexandar Georgiev, whom the Rangers could not find a taker for at the Draft, was qualified as an RFA.

Kaapo Kakko was signed to a bridge deal spanning 2 years and totaling $10M ($5M AAV), while Vitali Kravtsov and Sammy Blais were signed to matching 3 year, $1.750M AAV contracts. Ryan MacLeod was among notable other sub-$1M signings kept in the fold.

--------------------------

In free agency, the Rangers supplemented their young core with veteran players to support them through their rise to contention. That started with the signing of former Ranger Derek Stepan to a 1-year, $1M dollar deal. Followed up with the signing of Joe Thornton (1 year, $1.250M) and the Rangers filled holes in their lineup with players who have been around and know what it takes to win, with both players having played in a Stanley Cup Finals in their careers.

Finally, the Rangers took fliers on young forward Matthew Philipps (1 year, $950K) and defenseman Olli Juolevi (2 years, $1.5M AAV).

---------------------------------------

August 12th, 2022
The Rangers announced the signings of Undrafted prospects Samuel Houde and Cole Fonstad to 3-year ELC's

August 25th, 2022

Rangers sign Gabriel Carlsson to a 1-year, $750K contract. The 25-year old defenseman and former Blue Jackets first rounder played in the AHL all last season, and last played for Columbus in 20-21, registering 4 points in 14 games.

------------------------------------

Heading into the 2022-2023 NHL Season, the Rangers head into the season full of optimism. Elite talent at the top in Mika Zibanejad, Artemi Panarin and Adam Fox is supported by the likes Alexis Lafreniere, Kaapo Kakko, Chris Kreider, Jacob Trouba and Ryan Lindgren.

Young players looking to take the next step forward K'Andre Miller, Vitali Kravtsov and Sammy Blais fill the next wave, along with new additons Gabriel Carlsson, Olli Juolevi, Barclay Goodrow and Ryan Reaves.

Perhaps the X-factor for this season will be the play of the new arrivals, who perhaps don't have the same weight behind their weight behind their name as the places they fill. Jonathan Drouin and Matthew Philipps will fight for the 2nd line center role, while the other occupies the 3rd line.

Igor Shesterkin returns in nets with Cayden Primeau his new backup. Alex Georgiev remains a RFA.

Panarin (92) - Zibanejad (90) - Kravtsov (83)
Lafrenire (85) - Drouin (82) - Kakko (86)
Kreider (84) - Phillips (79) - Blais (80)
Goodrow (80) - Thornton (80) - Reaves (76)
Stepan (77) - Hunt (77)

Lindgren (82) - Fox (93)
Miller (82) - Trouba (86)
Carlsson (79) - Juolevi (79)
Tinordi (76)

Shesterkin (89)
Primeau (83)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Prospect Watch
2022 12th overall draft pick Connor Geekie will return to the WHL for this season.
Center prospects Morgan Barron and Ryan MacLeod begin the season in the AHL after being 2 of the final cuts from training camp.
Nils Lundkvist has been sent to the AHL after playing the entire season in the NHL last year. He joins forces with fellow prospects Tarmo Reunane, Matthew Robertson and Braden Schneider.
Goaltender Dylan Garand will be the AHL starter.
Other notable prospects playing in Hartford include Karl Henriksson, Cole Fonstad, Ty Ronning, Tim Gettinger, Ryder Kroczak and Will Cuylle.

Next Post: 2022-2023 NHL Season

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

dLgqgeM.jpg

2022-2023 NHL Season

First Half of Season

images

BREAKING NEWS: Shesterkins 28 saves help Rangers win Season Opener in Columbus
Oct. 13th, 2022
While the Rangers offered ample goal support in the 4-1 victory, Igor Shesterkin was named first star in the victory over the Blue Jackets. Leading 2-0 heading into the 3rd, the Rangers surrendered a goal to Alexandre Texier, which cut their lead in half. Less than 3 minutes later, the Rangers took a penalty, awarding the Blue Jackets a glorious powerplay opporunity.
The Rangers responded by not only killing the penalty, but scoring two shorthanded goals of their own from Blais and Lafreniere, to take a 4-1 lead that they would hold until the final buzzer.
Jacob Trouba had 3 assists in the victory.

---------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Panarin, Rangers hold Blues to 13 shots in Dominant Win
Oct. 29th, 2022
As the Rangers continue on their lengthy road trip to start the season as MSG undergoes renovations, they seem to be doing just fine. Led by Artemi Panarins 2 goals (3 points), the Rangers beat the Blues 4-1 off of 4 second period goals, while holding St. Louis to just 13 shots.
Mika Zibanejad, with a now team leading 11 points in 7 games, added 2 assists, while Igor Shesterkin posted a .923 SV% (12/13).
The Rangers improved to 6-1-0 with the victory, which puts them tied for 2nd in the entire NHL with the Panthers, behind only the 7-0-0 Golden Knights.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Thornton turns back clock in 9-2 victory over Leafs
Nov. 14th, 2022
An explosive first period from the Rangers with 5 goals allowed them to cruise to a 9-2 victory over the Maple Leafs. 2 of those goals were from former Maple Leaf Joe Thornton.
The two tallies brought Thorntons total to 3 on the season, with 1 assist for 4 points. The 43-year old in his 25th NHL season has fit in nicely for the Rangers on their 4th line, averaging 9:18 TOI while being a +2 in 9 games.
The Rangers also got 2 goals from Jonathan Drouin, as well as one each from K'Andre Miller, Olli Juolevi and Vitali Kravtsov. Artemi Panarin had 4 assists. Igor Shesterkin saved 25/27 in the win.
The Rangers, now 10-2-0, have just one game remaining against the Canadiens before heading home for their first game at MSG.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Primeaus shutout against former team lifts Rangers to victory
Nov. 15th, 2022
Chris Kreiders 2-goals were welcomed, but Cayden Primeau was the star of the show, shutting out his former team in their own building.
It was Primeaus 5th game of the season, and 4th win. The 23-year old owns a .921 SV% and a 4-1-0 record on the season, with a shutout on his season resume as well after this one.
Joe Thornton scored the 3rd goal in the 3-0 win, which lifted the Rangers to 11-2-0.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Kravtsov, Shesterkin lead Rangers to rout of Flyers
Nov. 23rd, 2022
After a disappointing loss to the Oilers in their home opener, the Rangers convincingly defeated the Bruins 4-1 after, but the real show for the MSG fans came tonight against the Flyers.
Led by Vitali Kravtsovs 2 goal performance (3 points), the Rangers defeated the Flyers by scoring 3 goals in each of the final 2 periods after taking a 2-0 lead early.
Igor Shesterkin stopped 32/33 in the win, while Alexis Lafreniere had 3 points (1 goal). Drouin continued to impress with the Rangers, adding another goal and assist to his point totals this season, bringing him to 18 points in 16 games.

--------------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Rangers trade Georgiev to Sharks for Draft Pick
Nov. 29th, 2022
After acquiring Primeau, the Rangers essentially admitted they were not going to get the return they could have 2 offseasons ago for Georgiev. By acquiring Primeau, the Rangers left Georgiev qualified, and put them selves out in the open of having a surplus, along with a deadline of Jan 1st by which a deal either had to be reached, or Georgiev would sit out the entire season, no matter the team.

In return the Rangers netted a 3rd round pick.

----------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Panarin forces Rangers to 5-4 OTW over Sens to snap skid
Dec. 19th, 2022
After starting their season 11-2-0, the Rangers have gone 6-8-2 since. It was nearly 5-9-2, if not for some heroics from Artemi Panarin, who scored the game tying and game winning goals in a comeback win over the Senators.
Panarins 3 points brought his team leading total to 33 (11-22--33) in 29 games played.

------------------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Lafrenieres 4 goal game lifts Rangers over Pens as they reach Halfway mark
Jan. 16th, 2023 / 41 games into NHL Season
In the best performance of his young career, 3rd year forward Alexis Lafreniere exploded for 4 goals in a 7-3 victory over the Penguins. The win vaulted the Rangers over the Islanders, albeit by the ROW tiebreaker, to 2nd place in the Metropolitan Division, just 1 point behind the Hurricanes for 1st.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recapping the First Half

images

The new look center group, featuring 3 new centers in Jonathan Drouin, Matthew Phillips and Joe Thornton, has worked out quite nicely for the Rangers. The only mainstay, Mika Zibanejad, leads the team with 41 points in 41 games. Phillips, in his first full NHL season, has 21 points in 41 games, while Jonathan Drouin is on pace for the most productive season of his career, with 35 points through the first half. Thornton, slotting on the 4th line, has 10 points, but his veteran leadership is invaluable.
Artemi Panarin is his usual self with 39 points, while Alexis Lafreniere will likely earn himself a huge extension with his play and point production (35 points). Chris Kreider, while not on pace for the 30 goal season he had last year, is on pace for yet another 20 goal season. Vitali Kravtsov, looks to be one of the biggest bargain signings of the offseason with 30 points in his rookie season.
Barclay Goodrow, Ryan Reaves and Sammy Blais have brought what was expected of them in the bottom-6, while Derek Stepan has yet to see action this season.
Kaapo Kakko, signed to a bridge deal this offseason, is on pace for nearly an identical season as last year, with 24 points thus far. While that is good production for the young forward, a bigger step forward was expected.

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Mika Zibanejad41113041+420
Artemi Panarin41142539+146
Alexis Lafreniere41152035+108
Jonathan Drouin41132235+112
Vitali Kravtsov41121830+1422
Kaapo Kakko41111324+346
Chris Kreider41121022+78
Matthew Phillips4161521+130
Sammy Blais419817-120
Joe Thornton418210+12
Barclay Goodrow416410+226
Ryan Reaves41257+453
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
images

Adam Fox is having yet another stellar season for the Rangers, with his usual stout defensive play pairing with his 32 points good for 10th among all defensemen. Behind him, Jacob Trouba continues around his return to 40-point pace we saw last season. The young trio of K'Andre Miller, Gabriel Carlsson and Olli Juolevi all have played astounding in their roles this season, with Juolevi perhaps being the best of the 3. Ryan Lindgren has once again been a perfect partner for Adam Fox, always reliable and steady. Jarred Tinordi has yet to see action.

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Adam Fox4123032+1610
Jacob Trouba4141519+526
K'Andre Miller414812+718
Olli Juolevi416511+714
Ryan Lindgren41178+1820
Gabriel Carlsson41156+522
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
images
images

Igor Shesterkin has struggled at times this season, but the difference is he has a backup this season who has picked up for him in the partnership. The departure of Alex Georgiev, who was wildly inconsistent and ultimately unreliable, has been viewed as a good move because it made room for Cayden Primeau. A RFA who signed a 2-year team friendly deal, now looks like one of the best backups in the league, his 10 wins just 5 behind Shesterkins 15. Primeau also boasts a better SV%, more shutouts and a better GAA than his starting counterpart.
No one has called this a challenge for the starting job yet, but in the Rangers current state of contention, it's something to keep an eye on as they expect to win now.

GoalieGPRecordSV%GAASO
Igor Shesterkin2815-10-2.9052.811
Cayden Primeau1410-4-0.9172.432
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
images

RecordHomeAwayGFPGGAPGPP%PK%Div.Conf.League
25-14-210-7-115-7-13.34 (7th)2.73 (5th)18.8% (10th)82.9% (T-15th)2nd4th7th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Vaulted by their 11-2-0 road start to th season, the Rangers remain tops in the league in almost every statistical category besides home record and penalty kill %. Their 31 road points are tied for second in the league with Washington behind only 1st place Vegas.

images

The Hartfrod Wolfpack sit comfortable in a Playoff position with a record of 24-16-4. Led by many prospects, such as Ryan MacLeod (18-26--44), Morgan Barron (10-26--36), Cole Fonstad (10-26--36) and Braden Schneider (4-28--33).
Nils Lundkvist, seemingly passed on the depth chart by offseason signings Olli Juolevi and Gabriel Carlsson, as well as Braden Schneider now, may be more of a trade chip than anything. That being said, he is still having a fine season in the AHL with 25 points in 44 games.
Dylan Garand owns a record of 19-11-3 with a SV% of .900 in his first season as the Wolfpack starter.

Top prospect Connor Geekie has 24 points in 28 WHL games with the Winnipeg Ice. Although it is slightly below last seasons pace, his team is much lower in the standings. Expect a midseason trade for the prospect to a contender in what could be his final WHL season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Half of Season

images

BREAKING NEWS: Kakko's 3 points help Rangers open Second half strong
Jan. 17th, 2023, Game 42
A goal and 2 assists from Kaapo Kakko led the Rangers to a decisive 6-2 win over Hudson River rivals the New Jersey Devils. Other notable players in the game included Olli Juolevi with 3 assists, and Igor Shesterkin making 35 saves on 37 shots (.945 SV%).
Ryan Lindgren was injured in the win, and will be out for approximately 1 week. This gives Jarred Tinordi his first action of the season.
The win put the Rangers in sole possesion of 2nd place in the Metro, still just 1 point behind the Canes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Zibanejad, Panarin, Shesterkin dominate Lightning in rout
Jan. 31st, 2023
The Rangers big gungs beat the Lightnings top guns in a heavyweight Eastern Conference battle. Igor Shesterkin made 18 saves in the shutout, while both Mika Zibanejad (2-1--3) and Artemi Panarin (1-2--3) had 3 points nights.
Adam Fox had 3 assists, while Chris Kreider had 2 assists and Kaapo Kakko had 2 points as well (1-1--2). The other goal came from defenseman Jacob Trouba, who was also +2 in 19:00 TOI.
The Rangers now sit 31-16-2, and are on a 4 game winning streak, scoring 5+ goals in every win. The win vaulted them past the Hurricanes for 1st in the Metropolitan division with 64 points to the Canes 63. The Blueshirts also have 2 games in hand.

--------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Primeau snaps Rangers skid with 29 save performance
Feb. 18th, 2023
The Rangers needed a brilliant effort from backup goaltender Cayden Primeau to snap their lognest skid of the season. The teamhad surrendered 4+ goals in each of their previous 6 games en route to going 0-6-0 and falling into a WC position in the competitive Metropolitan Divsion.
Vitali Kravtsov had 2 points (1 goal) in the win, as did Artemi Panarin (1 goal).

--------------------------------------------

Trade Deadline

images
images

Without the cap space to target the significant Trade Deadline names available like Patrick Kane, Ondrej Palat and Keith Yandle, the Rangers had to settle for tinkering with their lineup.
That being said, that didn't stop them from adding a pretty big name in former Kraken and Flames captain Mark Giordano. The 39-year old signed with the Arizona Coyotes this offseason after just one season with the Kraken. Through 64 games, Giordano already surpassed last seasons point totals with 28 ponts (13 goals). While his -18 may not look good, the Cootes were among the worst teams in the league, largely due to their subpar netminding. Giordano looks to shore up the Rangers top-4 after K'Andre Miller was surpassed by Gabriel Carlsson for the #4 slot. Giordano, even at his advanced age, is steadier and considered an upgrade on either.
Also, the Rangers moved their 2nd round pick in this years entry Draft to take a flier on 23-year old reclamation project Martin Kaut. Once considered 1st round material, Kaut fell to the 2nd round in his draft season, and also had a heart condition shortly after being drafted. He put up 54 points last season in the AHL, and had 43 points to date this year. He will undoubtedly get a crack in the lineup after seeing some practice time with the big club. It remains to be seen who will be the odd man out once he is deemed ready to play in a game with the Rangers.

PlayerOVRAgePotentialPositionPlayer TypeGP, G-A--P+/-PIMYears/AAV
Mark Giordano8539N/ALD2 way Defender64, 13-15--28-18361/$4.995M
Martin Kaut7723Med Top 6FRW2 way Forward64, 15-28--43
(AHL)
-6221/$0.865M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
--------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Phillips hattrick defeats Devils in OT
March 16th, 2023
Matthew Phillips had 3 goals and 1 assist, including the overtime winner, as the Rangers prevailed over their rival Devils in a thrilling March game. Artemi Panarin also had 2 points (1 goal, 1 assist) in the win, while the Rangers also got a goal from Sammy Blais, another young forward in the midst of a special season.
Igor Shesterkin struggled in this one, surrendering 4 goals on just 29 shots.
The Rangers, now 38-28-2, hold the last WC position in the East, in a close race with the Maple Leafs. It is a far cry from their early season 1st placement, mostly due to 2 long stretches of 0-6-0 and 2-7-1 during the season.

--------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Mark Giordano hattrick lifts Rangers to victory
March 24th, 2023
While an Igor Shesterkin shutout during his rough season was certainly welcomed, the hero tonight was Mark Giordano, who not only scored 3 goals, but added an assist in the Rangers 5-0 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Adam Fox had 2 assists in the win, while the other goals came from Matthew Phillips (2 points) and Ryan Reaves.
The win moved the Rangers ahead of the Canes for the 1WC position and left them just 1 point behind the Flyers for 3rd in the Metro.

----------------------------------------------------

images

BREAKING NEWS: Rangers clinch Playoffs with 3-1 win over Detroit
April 8th, 2023
The Rangers, with their Playoff lives on the line, have strung together quite the win streak to save their season from disappointment. The 10-2-1 run since the deadline, reminiscent of their 11-2-0 start, clinched their playoff birth, and 1 more point will clinch 3rd place in the division for the Blueshirts. That win can come tomorrow night against the Columbus Blue Jackets, the 80th game of the season for the Rangers squad.
The win cam eoff the back of 33 Igor Shesterkin saves and 2 goals from defenseman Olli Juolevi, in what looks like one of the top bargain signings of the offseason.

--------------------------------------------------------

Season Recap

images

RecordHomeAwayGFPGGAPGPP%PK%Div.Conf.League
48-31-325-14-223-17-13.68 (2nd)2.89 (T-8th)19.7% (5th)83.3% (T-10th)3rd6th9th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
images

The New York Rangers had multiple rough stretches throughout the season, but they will be remembered for their 11-2-0 start and their 13-3-1 finish.
Formed after the deadline, the Rangers kid line of Kaapo Kakko, Alexis Lafreniere and Vitali Kravtsov was electric, and perhaps their best line down the stretch. Artemi Panarin and Mika Zibanejad expectedly led the way for the Rangers, while Adam Fox finished with a career high 69 points, good for 4th on the time.
Chris Kreider slowed from last seasons pace, but still contributed his normal 20 goals. Jonathan Drouin slowed from his first half pace, but still rebounded to 54 points. Matthew Phillips had an excellent rookie season with 48 points, while Sammy Blais scored 21 goals, a career high. Joe Thornton had 22 points, but was taken out of the lineup in favor of Martin Kaut, who played the final 9 games, scoring 4 points. Barclay Goodrow and Ryan Reaves played all 82 games on the 4th line.
Jacob Trouba posted 42 points, while Mark Giordano registered 13 points in 20 games after being acquired, while both Olli Juolevi and K'Andre Miller both had 26 points. Ryan Lindgren got a career high 22 points, while was tied for the team lead in +/- with +40.
Jared Tinordi played 8 games, not earning any points while being a -2.
Igor Shesterkin had the worst season of his young career, with a .895 SV% in his 33 wins. Cayden Primeau was much better, and will be ready to go should Shesterkin falter in the playoffs.

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Mika Zibanejad82206484+1932
Artemi Panarin82275481+258
Alexis Lafreniere82344377+2721
Vitali Kravtsov82313667+2836
Kaapo Kakko82234265+2677
Jonathan Drouin82203454+1310
Matthew Phillips82212748+200
Chris Kreider82222446+1836
Sammy Blais82211738+636
Barclay Goodrow82121426E34
Joe Thornton73111122-1011
Ryan Reaves

Martin Kaut

+5

+3

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Adam Fox8276269+4028
Jacob Trouba

Mark Giordano

+19

Olli Juolevi82111526+932
K'Andre Miller8291726+930
Ryan Lindgren8071522+4044
Jared Tinordi8000-29
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GoalieGPRecordSV%GAASO
Igor Shesterkin5831-20-3.8953.084
Cayden Primeau3817-10-0.9242.245
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Next Post: 2023 NHL Playoffs and Offseason

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

dLgqgeM.jpg

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs and Offseason

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

images

First Round vs. Capitals
The Rangers face a familiar foe in their quest to return deep into the Playoffs, as Alexander Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals host the Rangers on back to back nights in games 1&2 of their first round series.
The Rangers, who stormed into the Playoffs on a hot streak, will need much better goaltending from Igor Shesterkin than they got in the Regular Season if they wish to contain the Capitals potent offense, led by Alexander Ovechkin, Nick Backstrom and Evgeny Kuznetsov.
The Rangers will lean heavily on their top guns, especially the top pair of Adam Fox and Mark Giordano to shut down the top guns of the Caps, while they will need Mika Zibanejad and Artemi Panarin to take charge.

Panarin (92) - Zibanejad (90) -
Kreider (84)
Lafrenire (87) - Kravtsov (84) - Kakko (87)
Drouin (83) - Phillips (82) - Blais (81)
Goodrow (80) -
Kaut (78) - Reaves (77)
Stepan (77) - Thornton (80)

Giordano (85) - Fox (94)
Miller (82) - Trouba (86)
Lindgren (82) - Juolevi (79)
Tinordi (76)

Shesterkin (89)
Primeau (83)

GameScoreNYR GoalsNYR GoalieNotes
12-1 WSH (OT)Kravtsov (1)Shesterkin
35/37, .946 SV%
Rangers battled hard, but tough loss
to a much more experienced Caps club.
27-3 NYRJuolevi (1), Trouba (1), Phillips (1), Panarin (1),
Lafreniere (1), Zibanejad (1), Kreider (1)
Shesterkin
28/31, .903 SV%