GDT: NHL 2023 Entry Draft - Day 2/First Round complete, Rounds 2-7 June 29, 2023; 11:00 a.m. Eastern

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Nope. You can’t sign people as a free agent if they’re still draft eligible.

Although I do miss when you’d see people like the 28 year old Maxim Sushinsky get drafted :laugh:
8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he: … had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and: … had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season). … The words “the prior season”… above mean “a full season prior to the last Entry Draft.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Don't know where to post this (or if it's been posted in this thread) without getting bitched at so I'm posting this here.

From The Athletic, Corey Pronman listed the 20 best players available today and the three best goalies. KA picked two of the top twenty and one of the goalies.
Kevyn Adams absolutely crushed this draft!

Reactions: Dirty Dog

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Damn, pretty much every analyst agrees the leafs draft and 1st round pick was bad. Everyone except sabres fans on HFBoards.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Damn, pretty much every analyst agrees the leafs draft and 1st round pick was bad. Everyone except sabres fans on HFBoards.
The Leafs aren't going to get graded well because they did not have a lot of picks and their first was late in the first round.

And as far as Cowan goes, it is like any late 1st/early 2nd round pick. It is going to take a long time to really know if it is a good pick. He is a guy that is a bit of a late bloomer and played better in the second half of the season. So, he is a guy that is a bit of a bet on progression moving forward.

I liked him as a potential Sabres pick in the 2nd round. So, I am not going to kill Toronto for taking him late in the first.

Reactions: Zman5778

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I find it interesting that Arizona drafted three goaltenders.
They now have 5 goalies on their reserve list, 3 signed to pro contracts, and 2 more that are RFAs.

They certainly have no shortage of goalies in the pipeline.

But, they did have 12 picks this year and 7 in the first three rounds. So, if you were going to take a lot of goalies, that is the time, I guess.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
They now have 5 goalies on their reserve list, 3 signed to pro contracts, and 2 more that are RFAs.

They certainly have no shortage of goalies in the pipeline.

But, they did have 12 picks this year and 7 in the first three rounds. So, if you were going to take a lot of goalies, that is the time, I guess.
They also have a lot of Russians on the reserve list

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad