GDT: NHL 2023 Entry Draft - Day 2/First Round complete, Rounds 2-7 June 29, 2023; 11:00 a.m. Eastern

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Final prediction. It's traded for a dman.

(Please Please Please)

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Could someone with The Athletic please post Wheeler's final mock ?
You don’t want it, trust me.
Somehow better than Cam Robinson’s though.
Ok, here’s wheeler’s
Chi-Bedard
Ana-Fantilli
CBJ-Smith
SJ-Carlson
Mon-Reinbacher
Ari-Dvorsky
Phi-Michkov
Was-Leonard
Det-Willander
Stl-Moore
Van-Danielson
Ari-Benson
Buf-ASP
Ultimately, I think this pick comes down to Sandin Pellikka and Simashev. The Sabres’ pool is loaded up front, and while they’re committed long term to a young core on their blue line in the NHL, their system could use a bit of a boost there. I’ve written before that I believe their group will like wingers Matthew Wood and Barlow, who could add a little size to their smallish group of forward prospects (they’ve obviously had success with Tage Thompson out of UConn, where Wood plays, as well). But they don’t lack shooters and Sandin Pellikka and Simashev just make too much sense. The 5-foot-11 Sandin Pellikka could be a great foil to the size of Owen Power, Mattias Samuelsson and Rasmus Dahlin (though there’s only so much power play time to go around) and Simashev would add more of a good thing with his length and skating, plus they’re among the teams that have shown no aversion to drafting Russians and getting them over here. A combine interview with Pellikka and more certainty around getting him over here won out, but it could go either way for me.

And Cam Robinson (of EP)

Chi-Bedard
Ana-Fantilli
CBJ-Carlsson
SJ-Smith
Mon-Reinbacher
Ari-Leonard
Phi-Dvorsky
Was-Michkov
Det-Moore
Stl-Willander
Van-Benson
Ari-ASP
Buf-Yager
Coming into the season, many expected Brayden Yager to contend for a top-five spot. He wasn’t able to elevate his game to that level, but he remains a high-ceiling option. The 6-foot-tall centre was good but not great in the regular season but upped his game considerably for Moose Jaw this spring with six goals and 16 points in 10 playoff games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Musty and Clarence, N.Y., native Gavin McCarthy, a USHL defenseman who will play at Boston University, are local products who seemingly fit organizational needs for the Sabres. There is an added pressure that comes with that, both for the players who have to develop in their hometown and the general manager who could be accused of favoring players he’s familiar with. But both players could have bright futures in the league.

I did a few mocks this morning and McCarthy was a guy I took more than once. And it completely slipped my mind that he's a local kid. He just seems to fit what the Sabres pipeline could use,.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Could someone with The Athletic please post Wheeler's final mock ?

13. Buffalo Sabres: Axel Sandin Pellikka, RHD, Skellefteå AIK

Ultimately, I think this pick comes down to Sandin Pellikka and Simashev. The Sabres’ pool is loaded up front, and while they’re committed long term to a young core on their blue line in the NHL, their system could use a bit of a boost there. I’ve written before that I believe their group will like wingers Matthew Wood and Barlow, who could add a little size to their smallish group of forward prospects (they’ve obviously had success with Tage Thompson out of UConn, where Wood plays, as well). But they don’t lack shooters and Sandin Pellikka and Simashev just make too much sense. The 5-foot-11 Sandin Pellikka could be a great foil to the size of Owen Power, Mattias Samuelsson and Rasmus Dahlin (though there’s only so much power play time to go around) and Simashev would add more of a good thing with his length and skating, plus they’re among the teams that have shown no aversion to drafting Russians and getting them over here. A combine interview with Pellikka and more certainty around getting him over here won out, but it could go either way for me.

39. Buffalo Sabres: Oscar Fisker Mølgaard, C, HV71

After taking a D with their first-round pick, the Sabres add one of the draft’s more well-rounded centres in a play for a potential middle-six pivot who could work well with their many talented wingers.

45. Buffalo Sabres: Andrew Gibson, RHD, Soo Greyhounds

After a steady rise was punctuated with a strong U18 Worlds, Gibson climbs all the way to the middle of the second round and lands with the Sabres, adding length that they passed on when they took Sandin Pellikka while continuing to fill out their system where it needs it most: on the backend.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

They’ll listen if the right deal is there​

Buffalo Sabres

GM Kevyn Adams won’t be eager to let go of the No. 13 pick unless it’s a key piece in a trade that brings back a legitimate top-four defenseman. As strong as the Sabres’ prospect pool is, Adams doesn’t want to sacrifice a future asset just for the sake of it. He’ll be careful about dealing this pick. — Matthew Fairburn

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Setting ourselves up for disappointment. KA is probably targeting FA for upgrades so he doesn't waste assets. I put odds of 13 being traded at 10%. If it involves moving up or down in the first round, maybe 20%.

So like 13+ VO for 10. Or 13 for 18+. The draft develop and sign your own mantra is too strong with KA he will want a 1st round selection.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Setting ourselves up for disappointment. KA is probably targeting FA for upgrades so he doesn't waste assets. I put odds of 13 being traded at 10%. If it involves moving up or down in the first round, maybe 20%.

So like 13+ VO for 10. Or 13 for 18+. The draft develop and sign your own mantra is too strong with KA he will want a 1st round selection.
I have zero expectations that he moves out 13OV for immediate help. That never made a lot of sense to me given the way that Adams has talked recently and the moves to bring back guys like Okposo and Girgensons.

I have been expecting another "run it back" type summer.

Passing on Ryan Leonard for Moore, Musty, Simashev, Willander, ASP, and others would be wild for me.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I just hope that picks aren't getting tipped for me before they're announced. I want to enjoy the chaos live of teams going way off what everyone has come to believe is the consensus board.
I think Seattle has to add a little but I don't hate the premise
Other way around unfortunately, we'd have to add #45 I imagine. Seattle still might resist, but Seravelli has him 20th on his newest trade board and I've seen Kraken fans getting increasingly nervous about it. He's more in play than some think imo.

I predict we come away with a new NHL D by the end of tomorrow.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sometimes it's time to put the pencil down and walk away. My top 45:

1687958521814.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad