Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
It's looking like a really D heavy draft, so if the Hawks land a top 3 pick it's likely BPA is a D.

There's also Wallstedt, who I said last year I liked more than Askarov, and so far I still do.

As for forwards, Kent Johnson, William Eklund, and Matthew Beniers seem to be the top guys. Guenther could be at their level, but the lack of WHL play is hurting his stock right now. Raty I've never been a fan of, and would always scoff when he was pegged as number 1 for this draft.

I absolutely love Beniers. What an add he would be next to Toews and Dach. He's my favorite so far because there just aren't many questions marks with a guy that's so consistent in his motor.

I know we need a true 1D but he could easily be a better pick than some of the D eventually.

Reactions: jls24

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Back-of-the-envelope top 10

1. Clarke
2. Beniers
3. Power
4. Eklund
5. Hughes
6. Johnson
7. Wallstedt
8. Sillinger
9. Lambos
10. L'Heureux

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I absolutely love Beniers. What an add he would be next to Toews and Dach. He's my favorite so far because there just aren't many questions marks with a guy that's so consistent in his motor.

I know we need a true 1D but he could easily be a better pick than some of the D eventually.
I really like Beniers as well. His 2 way play is excellent from what I've seen so far.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Nobody else is alarmed with this draft? Of course it's early in the process still, and literally the strangest and most uneven circumstances apply... But my opinion of the crop goes down each day.

And it's not coz I watched a bunch of them (some didn't even play yet). But there is more and more worry popping up everywhere. Power being limited and not too dynamic. Lambos having a hard time adjusting to a higher level. Clarke's defensive issues. Questions about Edvinsson's iq and Hughes' floor (although these two I'm higher on).

What seemed like a situation of 'look there is 4-5 1LHDs in this draft' kind of really changed and pretty fast at that. Id be happy if these Ds were on the level of Drysdale when its all said and done, but they're no sure fire 1lhds to me at this point with so many question marks.

We will see how it all shapes up with more viewings and opportunity. It's always nice to have a top 5 pick regardless of crop, but I really wish our unlucky situation was a year from now on the 22 draft, the real big boy draft.

It's because they are missing their draft season for the most part. The hockey world is a mess and picking in this draft is a total crapshoot. I'm really hoping the CHL gets going properly.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Nobody else is alarmed with this draft? Of course it's early in the process still, and literally the strangest and most uneven circumstances apply... But my opinion of the crop goes down each day.

And it's not coz I watched a bunch of them (some didn't even play yet). But there is more and more worry popping up everywhere. Power being limited and not too dynamic. Lambos having a hard time adjusting to a higher level. Clarke's defensive issues. Questions about Edvinsson's iq and Hughes' floor (although these two I'm higher on).

What seemed like a situation of 'look there is 4-5 1LHDs in this draft' kind of really changed and pretty fast at that. Id be happy if these Ds were on the level of Drysdale when its all said and done, but they're no sure fire 1lhds to me at this point with so many question marks.

We will see how it all shapes up with more viewings and opportunity. It's always nice to have a top 5 pick regardless of crop, but I really wish our unlucky situation was a year from now on the 22 draft, the real big boy draft.

I don't see Owen Power as being limited at all.

Edit: I put draft instead of Owen Power.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDachKnight

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I don't see this draft as being limited at all.

Limited? What does that mean?

I think its not as strong as previously thought. It could mostly be due to all the uncertainty to be fair and how so many have not even played at all - but my personal opinion of it gets more and more negative.

Im heavily influeced by the 22 draft too tbh. Its just looking so good. But this draft is missing true top prospects. Could end up being deep, but 1-3OA i thnk wont be as valuable as it is usually.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

I think its not as strong as previously thought. It could mostly be due to all the uncertainty to be fair and how so many have not even played at all - but my personal opinion of it gets more and more negative.

Im heavily influeced by the 22 draft too tbh. Its just looking so good. But this draft is missing true top prospects. Could end up being deep, but 1-3OA i thnk wont be as valuable as it is usually.
Stating the obvious here but most draft classes are average.

And one where Raty was pegged as number 1 should have never been hyped to begin with.

It's uncommon for there to be a generational talent in a draft...hence the term generational. You're right that we could be seeing that in 2022, but again it's not a common occurrence so it should never be the expectation.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I meant Owen Power instead of draft. Sorry I was multi-tasking.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Stating the obvious here but most draft classes are average.

And one where Raty was pegged as number 1 should have never been hyped to begin with.

It's uncommon for there to be a generational talent in a draft...hence the term generational. You're right that we could be seeing that in 2022, but again it's not a common occurrence so it should never be the expectation.

Yeah all valid points. I think i was just too high on the draft prematurely, seeing all the potential 1ld prospects - and then after the inevitable corrections now its a more negative view.

We'll see how it plays out but i dont like draft where every prospect has multipel question marks. Just did that with the recent nba draft, its exhausting lol.

I meant Owen Power instead of draft. Sorry I was multi-tasking.

Im not an expert clearly, but there is more and more worry about him coming up and people being underwhelmed. Scouching for example if you want to hear for yourself. He could improve of course, but there are more concerns than before (thats the theme - same with Raty, Lambos etc.)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Im not an expert clearly, but there is more and more worry about him coming up and people being underwhelmed. Scouching for example if you want to hear for yourself. He could improve of course, but there are more concerns than before (thats the theme - same with Raty, Lambos etc.)
In my viewings, there's nothing to worry about with Power, but being underwhelmed is a possibility if you're judging him by the 1st overall hype that surrounds him.

From what I've seen thus far, Owen Power is a jack of all trades player with a big size advantage. He's good at everything, but I don't think he possesses any elite attribute.

So maybe he becomes a low end 1D, or a really high end 2D.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
In my viewings, there's nothing to worry about with Power, but being underwhelmed is a possibility if you're judging him by the 1st overall hype that surrounds him.

From what I've seen thus far, Owen Power is a jack of all trades player with a big size advantage. He's good at everything, but I don't think he possesses any elite attribute.

So maybe he becomes a low end 1D, or a really high end 2D.

Is that like a McAvoy type, or is there a better type of defenseman to think of?

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
It's looking like a really D heavy draft, so if the Hawks land a top 3 pick it's likely BPA is a D.

There's also Wallstedt, who I said last year I liked more than Askarov, and so far I still do.

As for forwards, Kent Johnson, William Eklund, and Matthew Beniers seem to be the top guys. Guenther could be at their level, but the lack of WHL play is hurting his stock right now. Raty I've never been a fan of, and would always scoff when he was pegged as number 1 for this draft.

Guenther is/was playing in the AJHL on loan. Not amazing stats but over a ppg.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I'm not entirely convinced at this point that Owen Power would be the guy to target with a top 3 pick, but of course we'll wait to see how things develop.

Yeah, a lot of media draft guys seem to think that Power leaves them wanting to see more. Some of that is due to sky high expectations, but not all of it. I'm hardly a draft expert, but it seems like anointing Power as the top D man is premature.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm hardly a draft expert, but it seems like anointing Power as the top D man is premature.
Absolutely. And maybe by the end of the season he really does prove to be the top defender in the draft, but at this point it's too early to peg him as such.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Absolutely. And maybe by the end of the season he really does prove to be the top defender in the draft, but at this point it's too early to peg him as such.

Well it's nice to have many options at the least, to eventually select from should we end up with a D bpa.

I like Edvinsson's and Hughes' package the most. Especially Edvinsson, his ceiling could be so high.

But above all my crush on Beniers is growing by the day lol.

Reactions: jls24

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No idea where he gets drafted, but Kirill Kirsanov is a player I really like in this year's draft. I've watched him play A LOT.

I'm thinking he makes his way into the 1st round, but if not he's my early candidate for the Hawks' 2nd round pick.

Reactions: d rake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad