NHL 2019-20 Standing Predictions

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
You have to love a thread that starts off with typical deluded "Leaf are going to collapse" hopes and dreams.

Well we did lose Gardiner right? Oh yeah we replaced him early with Muzzin so that doesn't work..

So really you are suggesting the loss of Hainsey and Marleau is going to take is from 3rd in the east, 7th best in the league, to 8 in our division.

I'm sorry, you failed epically, you are either heavily biased or know nothing about hockey or you just pulled this from your hat...it's smells though like you pulled it from somewhere else.

Doesn't looking so desperate all the time make you Leaf bashers a little embarrassed from time to time?

I'm going to counter with equal logic. Spezza will put us over the top!

Thanks for the laugh.

This is classic.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Doing this for the 2nd in a row should be fun. I did pretty well last year correctly predicting 14/16 playoff teams (missed on the Islanders and Avalanche), so lets see how I do this time. Also, predictions can be changed until the start of the regular season, (and I'll probably be doing that through free agency), and snarky comments are appreciated too. Bolded teams are playoff teams:

5. Jets (medicore advanced stats and their blueline could be ****ed with their losses... unless hele goes god mod, I think they miss)

Give this man a cookie.

upload_2019-11-17_9-5-17.png

Reactions: super6646

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Every team has a weakness.

For Boston it's father time for some of their most important players in Chara, Bergeron and Krejci are entering the time frame where drop offs are going to happen.

Also I'm not sure Boston has more depth either, both teams forwad groups are deep

The Leaf red flags can be overblown because they are the Leafs.

Their back end will probably be better this year and their forward group is still young and can get better.

The key might be Nylander from day 1 as last season just was a disaster for him.

This has not aged well. Boston had better depth last year and this year. The Leafs back end got better, lol.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Canes had historic offensive advanced stats, everything projected them to be there, the Islanders relied on a goaltender playing all world. The Canes are more or less the same team and the Islanders have lost a TON of what made the perform well beyond their talent. I'd be very surprised in NYI made the playoffs this year, last season was a fluke and everything points to why that is true.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
The Canes had historic offensive advanced stats, everything projected them to be there, the Islanders relied on a goaltender playing all world. The Canes are more or less the same team and the Islanders have lost a TON of what made the perform well beyond their talent. I'd be very surprised in NYI made the playoffs this year, last season was a fluke and everything points to why that is true.

Some of the takes in this thread are hilarious. This one is up there.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It did?

Sometimes we swing and miss but let's not act like the NYI are/were some historic sure thing. Ultimately anyone who doubted them was wrong as their system continues to work but it was far from some hot take echoed by no one.
You called their season a “fluke” and said they relied on a hot goaltender. Simply wrong. If you watched the islanders last year you would know that Greiss played almost the same amount as Lehner and was just as good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You called their season a “fluke” and said they relied on a hot goaltender. Simply wrong. If you watched the islanders last year you would know that Greiss played almost the same amount as Lehner and was just as good.

Granted, limited games so far, but I have to say I thought Lehner looked better last year than Varlamov has looked this year. Maybe it's just recency bias because I didn't think Varlamov looked very good versus the Pens or Leafs, whereas I still have nightmares about Lehner's performance versus the Pens last playoffs.

Reactions: SI90

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
Other than the Sharks, we had almost the same list. I guess we can both die together as Oilers fans kill us.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
lol people do these every year, and for the most part, we just copy and paste what just happened this season, every time. And every time it's completely wrong. Too much parity. Just look at the 1st round in this year's playoffs. Every team can win against any team on any given night. This league is too good. It's impossible to accurately predict the standings for next season, there is a constant shifting of the guard every year, especially with all the change from free agency

That being said, I'll chime in my prediction anyway (playoff cut):

Pacific
1) Vegas
2) Edmonton
3) Vancouver
Wild Card
1) Chicago
2) St. Louis
Notable playoff misses: Calgary, San Jose, Winnipeg

Good god.

Tee hee

Looked stupid back in July right? Welp, 2 of those top 3, are top 3, and Calgary and San Jose are out the playoff cut. Aside from Vegas, Pacific exactly as predicted...so far

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Tee hee

Looked stupid back in July right? Welp, 2 of those top 3, are top 3, and Calgary and San Jose are out the playoff cut. Aside from Vegas, Pacific exactly as predicted...so far

There's still time to change it, before it's too late.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Granted, limited games so far, but I have to say I thought Lehner looked better last year than Varlamov has looked this year. Maybe it's just recency bias because I didn't think Varlamov looked very good versus the Pens or Leafs, whereas I still have nightmares about Lehner's performance versus the Pens last playoffs.

I agree with you about Lehner vs Varly but Trotz teams require only competent defenseman and goalies. Not trying to take anything away from Lehner or Greiss but the way the islanders play and defend the team only needs it’s goalies to NOT let in softies. Just make the saves that should be made. We don’t need prime Hasek.
The current isles streak obviously we’re hit right now and will it a wall at some point but I still think we’re a well above average team and formidable.

Last edited:

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
This might come as a surprise but most felt it was a fluke, it just so happened a lot of people were wrong. I can admit that, but don't try to make this out like mine was some outlandish opinion because it certainly wasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad