NHL 2019-20 Standing Predictions

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The Canes had historic offensive advanced stats, everything projected them to be there, the Islanders relied on a goaltender playing all world. The Canes are more or less the same team and the Islanders have lost a TON of what made the perform well beyond their talent. I'd be very surprised in NYI made the playoffs this year, last season was a fluke and everything points to why that is true.
I would counter that you lost a top five coach and replaced him with a question mark. Isles are also essentially the same team as last year, when 2 goalies were all world. Varlamov in for Lehner is not a 2,000 pound reduction in talent. Expect to be surprised.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Why do folks use age against the Pens to determine they're going to be worse this year ("Crosby and Malkin are declining!"), yet that doesn't seem to apply to Ovechkin and Backstrom, who are the same age as the Pens' duo?
I mean, I didn't say anything against the Penguins at all and nothing about age. I don't see much of any decline in Crosby and Malkin had an off year, it has nothing to do with age. Letang is still great even if he's getting older. I guess until we see that decline, both teams superstars shouldn't be questioned.

If anything, the Caps stars should be more successful this regular season, they had a ton of upheaval to deal with to start last year with Wilson's lengthy suspension and a Kuznetsov and Oshie concussion ordeal in the first quarter of the season.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
So everyone got better and no one got worse? All areas of the team have been improved?

Lol gotcha.
In respect to the Capitals weaknesses comparative to last year? Unequivocally yes, but by all means refute what I'm saying here. The Caps are already a hard team to play against and are as physical as anyone, now they're bigger, faster and tougher, can kill penalties, don't have a rookie head coach and have a goalie a season removed from winning the Cup in a contract year. They're better in every area that failed them last year.

Also, expect more points form their top 6, the Caps had a lot of guys out early if you remember. Wilson was suspended for 16 games, Kuznetsov and Oshie dealt with early concussions as well and they all play huge parts in the top 2 lines.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
ATLANTIC
1. Tampa Bay
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Florida

5. Buffalo
6. Detroit
7. Montreal
8. Ottawa

METROPOLITAN
1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Carolina
4. New Jersey

5. Philadelphia
6. New York Islanders
7. New York Rangers
8. Columbus

CENTRAL
1. Dallas
2. St. Louis
3. Colorado
4. Nashville

5. Winnipeg
6. Chicago
7. Minnesota

PACIFIC
1. Calgary
2. Vegas
3. San Jose

4. Edmonton
5. Arizona
6. Vancouver
7. Anaheim
8. Los Angeles

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
ATLANTIC
1. Tampa Bay
2. Florida
3. Toronto
4. Boston

5. Montreal
6. Detroit
7. Buffalo
8. Ottawa

METROPOLITAN
1. Washington
2. Carolina
3. Pittsburgh
4. New Jersey

5. N.Y. Islanders
6. Philadelphia
7. N.Y. Rangers
8. Columbus

CENTRAL
1. Colorado
2. St. Louis
3. Nashville
4. Winnipeg

5. Dallas
6. Chicago
7. Minnesota

PACIFIC
1. Calgary
2. Vegas
3. San Jose

4. Edmonton
5. Arizona
6. Vancouver
7. Anaheim
8. Los Angeles

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Pacific
Vegas
San Jose
Calgary
Arizona
Vancouver
Edmonton
Anaheim
L.A

Central (Tough division to handicap)
Nashville
St. Louis
Dallas
Chicago
Colorado
Winnipeg
Minnesota

Metro
Washington
Carolina
Pittsburgh
Philly
New Jersey
Islanders
Rangers
Columbus

Atlantic
Tampa Bay
Florida
Toronto
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Detroit
Ottawa

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Formatted my detailed picks into an Excel spreadsheet that I have attached:

11 / 16 teams that made the playoffs in 2017-18 returned to the playoffs in 2018-19 (6 East, 5 West).
According to my predictions, 9 / 16 teams that made the playoffs in 2018-19 will return in 2019-20 (4 East, 5 West).

Attachments

• My NHL picks 2019-20.xlsx
    31.7 KB · Views: 8

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Pacific
San Jose
Calgary
Vegas

Anaheim
Vancouver
Edmonton
Arizona
L.A

Central
Nashville
St. Louis
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas

Winnipeg
Minnesota

Metro
Washington
Islanders
Pittsburgh

Carolina
Philly
Columbus
New Jersey
Rangers

Atlantic
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston
Florida
Montreal

Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't think that anyone is predicting the Leafs to win the East as most have TB walking away with it once again.

I happen to think that babcock is still a very good coach, not really sure why you even made that comment to be honest.

They might be "soft as butter" but their top 6 is much better as a group than Boston, even though Boston has a better top line, the dropoff is quite large between Toronto's second line and what Boston has to offer..

Did you watch the playoffs? It was Boston's depth/3rd/4th lines that helped them win the series. The first 2 lines for each team were relatively ineffective.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Metro
Washington
Carolina
Pittsburgh
New Jersey

-------------
Islanders
Philadelphia
Blue Jackets
Rangers

NOTES: Tough division to pick: Washington given its track record seems like a lock to be at or near the top and given Carolina's young talent and run last season they should also be there. Pittsburgh gives me a lot of concern: They get the benefit of the doubt as a two time champion and because of Crosby and Malkin, but that Cup core is all on the wrong side of 30 and last years playoffs really had a 2017 Blackhawks feel to it. New Jersey has great young talent while also having a veteran superstar in Hall to help steady them so I give the the edge here to get the wildcard slot. They are more talented then the Islanders on paper, but I would not be surprised if NYI proves me wrong and bumps either them or the Pens out with their solid defensive game.

Atlantic
Tampa
Toronto
Boston
Florida

-------------
Montreal
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

NOTES: Collapse or not, that Lighning roster is still top-through-bottom the most stacked n the NHL and it is built to win in the regular season. Are again be President's trophy favorites. The Leafs and the Bruins are again the other main powers in the division; I give the Leafs the edge in seeding this time since you get the feeling that Boston might throttle it back at point to keep their aging core players rested for the post-season whereas the young, offensive minded Leafs won't take the same approach. The revamped Panthers come in as a strong wildcard. The rest of the division is kind of a misadventure: Montreal doesn't look to have enough talent up front and the Sabres have too many holes in their roster for me to justify moving them higher (although they do have the highest potential ceiling of the non-playoff group). Detroit and Ottawa are dumpster fires... again.

Central
Colorado
St. Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Winnipeg

-------------
Chicago
Minnesota

NOTES: The toughest division in the NHL and the toughest to predict. Fully admit I could be dead wrong here. I have the young Avs winning the division as their superstars are hitting their prime and they looked to have finally solved their biggest weakness (a viable scoring 2nd line) with bringing in Naz Kadri. The defending champion Blues should also rack up points since that core has the benifet of now having a full year of playing together and building chemistry (and a Cup), so they won't have their totals depressed in the first half of the season like last year. Nashville feels like it might have one more year left in its contention window, with Rinne long in the tooth. the Stars look improved, but now we have to see if the new pieces mesh well with the old ones. The Jets are the hardest to peg: they have talent for sure, but their defense has been devastated this offseason and in the "division of death" the margins are very slim. My heart says "yes" but my head is less certain. Chicago and Minnesota aren't bad teams per-say, just don't look like they stack up with the others.

Pacific
San Jose
Vegas
Calgary

-------------
Vancouver
Arizona
Edmonton
Anaheim
LA

NOTES: IMHO, the weakest division in the NHL. San Jose and Vegas have the look of contenders but I am not sold on Calgary; there were a lot of career years from a bunch of players last season, (including veterans unlikely to get close to replicating the same this year) so I don't see such a strong performance in the cards for the team in the regular season. However with all the other teams in the division behind them having substantial flaws they get the third divisional slot. As for the non-playoff teams: Vancouver has an intriguing and talented roster, and I think they improve but they still have too many holes in their team for me to see them in the playoffs. I am not sold on Arizona finally becoming a playoff-team: I see Keller and an aging Kessel up front... and little else. If they make it, it will have to be via a Barry Trotz style grind trapping game. Edmonton has the best player in the game and a 50 goal scorer on their roster; that alone means they can't be entirely counted out entirely, but again, the rest of the roster looks as questionable as ever so I can't predict a playoff birth. LA and Anaheim look old, slow and offensively anemic. Again.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Did you watch the playoffs? It was Boston's depth/3rd/4th lines that helped them win the series. The first 2 lines for each team were relatively ineffective.

Exactly where did I talk about playoffs in this regular season prediction thread?

Yes I watched the playoffs and I also know that age is catching up to some of those Boston players, a dropoff will happen sometime.

Boston after their first line simply doesn't match up at forward to the Leafs or TB for that matter.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Final Predictions

Pacific
Vegas
San Jose
Calgary

Vancouver
Anaheim
Arizona
Edmonton
Los Angeles

Central
St. Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Winnipeg
Colorado

Chicago
Minnesota

Metro
Philadelphia
Washington
Pittsburgh
New Jersey

Carolina
NY Islanders
Columbus
NY Rangers

Atlantic
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Boston
Florida
Montreal
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think in the East there will be 2 new teams in the playoffs. Columbus and Islanders will miss, Florida and one of Montreal/Philly/NJ/NYR makes it.

Columbus defense is super strong but they will struggle to score goals this season. Goaltending is also a big question mark. It's not a bad team but the competition is very high and I think they will have a bit of a letdown year after a stretch of playoff in recent years. While I predicted Islanders would suck last season too and was proven wrong, I don't think that will repeat this season. Their defense is also strong but they lost Lehner and some of what happened last season I still think was a bit unsustainable.

Florida's defense is still awful but they got Bob and a superb offense so they just can't miss anymore. The other one is difficult to predict. Montreal and Philly both made some improvements to already solid-ish teams. NYR and NJ made massive improvements. Trouba and Panarin, Subban and Hall (basically, since he missed most of last season), and also both teams added a potential Calder candidate. Huge adds. Tough to say which team will take the other spot.

As a side note I do wonder about the two perennial successes Pittsburgh and Washington. When will the wheels come off? Both are in the twilight of their cores, some of the tweaks they've made have been questionable, and one wonders if they will go the Chicago way soon. One unlucky injury to a key player and they could miss the playoffs too? Not predicting it for this season, but something to keep an eye on.

The West doesn't have a similar push. Chicago, Vancouver and Arizona got perhaps a bit better, and Minnesota will likely have Dumba for the whole year this time. But none of these teams were good to begin with and the improvements they made were minor. Winnipeg is the only playoff team that has gotten obviously worse. Their offense is still dynamite but can they outscore their defense which will be a tirefire. Colorado who barely made it last season I could see having letdown this year and not make it, as they didn't really improve their secondary scoring that much (Kadri is nice, everything else is meh) and have a really young defense. But the push from teams that missed last season is overall weak so I'm not sure. Perhaps one of Winnipeg/Colorado miss and one of Chicago/Arizona/Vancouver makes it.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Pacific: Vegas, Calgary, San Jose
Central: Colorado, Nashville, Dallas

Atlantic: Boston, Tampa Bay, Toronto
Metro: Washington, Carolina, New Jersey

West Wild Card: St. Louis, Vancouver
East Wild Card: Florida, Columbus

Stanley Cup Final: Colorado vs. Toronto
Stanley Cup Champions: Toronto

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
1. Tampa Bay
2. Toronto
3. Boston
4. Florida

5. Montreal
6. Buffalo
7. Detroit
8. Ottawa

METROPOLITAN
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Pittsburgh
4. NY Islanders

5. New Jersey
6. Carolina
7. NY Rangers
8. Columbus

CENTRAL
1. Nashville
2. Dallas
3. Colorado
4. St. Louis

5. Winnipeg
6. Chicago
7. Minnesota

PACIFIC
1. San Jose
2. Vegas
3. Calgary

4. Arizona
5. Vancouver
6. Edmonton
7. Anaheim
8. Los Angeles

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Western

Las Vegas 101
SJ 100
Calgary 100
Arizona 88
Vancity 85
LA 85
Edmonton 79
Anahiem 76

Central

Dallas 106
St Louis 103
Nashville 101
Colorado 100
Winnipeg 98
Chicago 92
Minny 82

Atlantic

TB 110
Boston 107
Toronto 97
Florida 89
Buffalo 82
Montreal 79
Ottawa 71
Detroit 70

Metro

Washington Capitals 102
Carolina 99
Pittsburgh 98
Philly 97
NYI 93
New Jersey 90
Columbus 88
NYR 84

Playoffs ROUND 1

LV 3 Col 4
SJ 2 Cal 4
Dal 4 Winn 2
Stl 4 Nash 2

TB 4 NYI 1
Bos 4 Tor 2
Wash 4 Phi 2
Car 4 Pitt 0

ROUND 2

Cal 2 Col 4
Dall 3 Stl 4

TB 3 Bos 4
Wash 4 Car 2

ROUND 3

Stl 4 Col 3
Bos 2 Wash 4

CUP

Stl 4 Wash 3

Give or take

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Alright, some last second predictions for me:

Pacific:

1. Calgary
2. San Jose
3. Arizona
4. Vegas
5. Vancouver
6. Anaheim
7. Edmonton
8. LA

Central:

1. Colorado
2. Nashville
3. St. Louis
4. Chicago
5. Dallas
6. Winnipeg
7. Minnesota

Metro:

1. Carolina
2. Washington
3. New York Rangers (Brady Skjei will prove everyone wrong this year)
4. Philadelphia
5. New Jersey
6. Pittsburgh
7. Columbus
8. New York Islanders

Atlantic:

1. Tampa
2. Florida
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Montreal
6. Buffalo
7. Ottawa
8. Senators

I’m going 4/4 for each division in the west and east..

Last edited:
Reactions: Riseonfire

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
2019-2020 NHL Prognostications:
EAST
Atlantic:
1.Tampa Bay Lightning(1)
2.Boston Bruins
3.Toronto Maple Leafs
4.Florida Panthers(wildcard1)
5.Montreal Canadiens(wildcard2)
6.Buffalo Sabres
7.Ottawa Senators
8.Detroit Red Wings

Metropolitan:
1.Washington Capitals(2)
2.New York Rangers
3.Philadelphia Flyers
4.Pittsburgh Penguins
5.Carolina Hurricanes
6.New Jersey Devils
7.New York Islanders
8.Columbus Blue Jackets

WEST
Central:
1.Dallas Stars(2)
2.Colorado Avalanche
3.St.Louis Blues
4.Nashville Predators(wildcard1)
5.Chicago Blackhawks
6.Winnipeg Jets
7.Minnesota Wild

Pacific:
1.Vegas Golden Knights(1)
2.San Jose Sharks
3.Vancouver Canucks
4.Calgary Flames(wildcard2)
5.Arizona Coyotes
6.Edmonton Oilers
7.Anaheim Ducks
8.Los Angeles Kings

Post-season:

Round one:
Tampa Bay Lightning v Montreal Canadiens=Lightning in five
Boston Bruins v Toronto Maple Leafs=Bruins in five
Washington Capitals v Florida Panthers=Capitals in seven
New York Rangers v Philadelphia Flyers=Rangers in seven

Vegas Golden Knights v Calgary Flames=Golden Knights in seven
San Jose Sharks v Vancouver Canucks=Canucks in six
Dallas Stars v Nashville Predators=Stars in six
Colorado Avalanche v St.Louis Blue=Avalanche in six
Round two:

Tampa Bay Lightning v Boston Bruins=Bruins in six
Washington Capitals v New York Rangers=Rangers in five

Vegas Golden Knights v Vancouver Canucks=Golden Knights in seven
Dallas Stars v Colorado Avalanche=Stars in five
Conference Finals:

Boston Bruins v New York Rangers=Rangers in six

Vegas Golden Knights v Dallas Stars=Stars in seven

Stanley Cup final:

New York Rangers v Dallas Stars=Rangers in seven

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Pacific:

1. Calgary
2. San Jose
3. Arizona
4. Vegas
5. Vancouver
6. Anaheim
7. Edmonton
8. LA

Central:

1. Colorado
2. Nashville
3. St. Louis
4. Chicago
5. Dallas
6. Winnipeg
7. Minnesota

Metro:

1. Carolina
2. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. New Jersey
6. Pittsburgh
7. Columbus
8. New York Islanders

Atlantic:

1. Tampa
2. Florida
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Montreal
6. Buffalo
7. Ottawa
8. Senators

Ok, just so I don't edit this and people think I'm cheating or whatever, 7. should be Detroit and 8. Ottawa. Don't know why I typed that out twice.

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
Based on what's happened so far early in the season, and where I see these teams ending up come April;

Atlantic
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Toronto Maple Leafs
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers
--------------------------------
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators

Metropolitan
Carolina Hurricanes
Washington Capitals
New York Rangers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
Columbus Blue Jackets

Central
St. Louis Blues
Nashville Predators
Colorado Avalanche
Winnipeg Jets
Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks
Minnesota Wild

Pacific
Vegas Golden Knights
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames
Anaheim Ducks
Vancouver Canucks
Arizona Coyotes
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks

Playoffs; (Series Winner in Bold)

Round 1;
Boston Bruins VS Tampa Bay Lightning (in 7)
Buffalo Sabres VS Toronto Maple Leafs (in 5)
Carolina Hurricanes VS Florida Panthers (in 6)
Washington Capitals VS New York Rangers (in 4)
St. Louis Blues VS Winnipeg Jets (in 6)
Nashville Predators VS Colorado Avalanche (in 6)
Vegas Golden Knights VS Dallas Stars (in 7)
Edmonton Oilers VS Calgary Flames (in 7)

Round 2;
Boston Bruins VS Toronto Maple Leafs (in 6)
Carolina Hurricanes VS Washington Capitals (in 5)
Colorado Avalanche VS Winnipeg Jets (in 5)
Edmonton Oilers VS Dallas Stars (in 6)

Round 3;
Washington Capitals VS Toronto Maple Leafs (in 4)
Colorado Avalanche VS Edmonton Oilers (in 6)

Stanley Cup Final;
Edmonton Oilers VS Toronto Maple Leafs (in 6)

Apologies if I end up jinxing anybody.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

uh...think you're forgetting Boston's powerplay, that actually won them the series.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Pacific:

1. Calgary
2. San Jose
3. Arizona
4. Vegas
5. Vancouver
6. Anaheim
7. Edmonton
8. LA

Central:

1. Colorado
2. Nashville
3. St. Louis
4. Chicago
5. Dallas
6. Winnipeg
7. Minnesota

Metro:

1. Carolina
2. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. New Jersey
6. Pittsburgh
7. Columbus
8. New York Islanders

Atlantic:

1. Tampa
2. Florida
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Montreal
6. Buffalo
7. Ottawa
8. Senators

Lol at your metro predictions. Dont quit your day job bud.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The Atlantic is going to be an absolute dogfight. Tampa should lead the way again, the Leafs finally have a playable top 4 defense, Boston is the reigning SCF, and Florida and Buffalo are big movers and shakers. Ottawa and Detroit have a lot of speedy youthful players. It's going to be chaos.
And you kinda forget to mention the Habs.:naughty:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You have to love a thread that starts off with typical deluded "Leaf are going to collapse" hopes and dreams.

Well we did lose Gardiner right? Oh yeah we replaced him early with Muzzin so that doesn't work..

So really you are suggesting the loss of Hainsey and Marleau is going to take is from 3rd in the east, 7th best in the league, to 8 in our division.

I'm sorry, you failed epically, you are either heavily biased or know nothing about hockey or you just pulled this from your hat...it's smells though like you pulled it from somewhere else.

Doesn't looking so desperate all the time make you Leaf bashers a little embarrassed from time to time?

I'm going to counter with equal logic. Spezza will put us over the top!

Thanks for the laugh.
Agree thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: SteveH124

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad