Prospect Info: NHL 2017 Entry Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Much different competition. Just because you can wreck a Junior A league doesn't mean you'll do it at every single level above that. I've seen lots of kids come out of these leagues and do diddly squat at the next level.

And this is why Im worried about Mittelstadt, but it seems like Im one of the few worried about him.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
And this is why Im worried about Mittelstadt, but it seems like Im one of the few worried about him.

If he only played high school, I would agree, but he's shown really well in the USHL which is a good league. I could be wrong, but I think Kyle Connor was the last draft eligible USHL player to lead the league in points per game.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If he only played high school, I would agree, but he's shown really well in the USHL which is a good league. I could be wrong, but I think Kyle Connor was the last draft eligible USHL player to lead the league in points per game.

Small sample of 20 odd games.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

During his time in the USHL he was pretty much the best player in the league though. It would be like Makar jumping up to the WHL and being the best dman there. We can only speculate with Makar but Mittelstadt actually did it.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
During his time in the USHL he was pretty much the best player in the league though. It would be like Makar jumping up to the WHL and being the best dman there. We can only speculate with Makar but Mittelstadt actually did it.

not better than svechnikov. i like tolvanen at EV better too

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
That last win ended up costing us 2 draft slots. All you can do is laugh at this point

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That last win ended up costing us 2 draft slots. All you can do is laugh at this point

Or not give a ****, like me. We've done pretty well in the 1st round, regardless of where we pick. I don't get the consternation, to be honest. It's ****ing fun to watch the team win games, even in "garbage time", and the Front Office seems to have a reasonable head on their shoulders regarding selections.

Where we're picking, we nabbed Morrissey - he's now a pretty legit 1st (or at a minimum 2nd pairing) defenseman.

There's also the lottery. I doubt lightning will strike twice, but if it does I'll laugh my ass off, and look back at the wins in the 7 game streak even more fondly.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Or not give a ****, like me. We've done pretty well in the 1st round, regardless of where we pick. I don't get the consternation, to be honest. It's ****ing fun to watch the team win games, even in "garbage time", and the Front Office seems to have a reasonable head on their shoulders regarding selections.

Where we're picking, we nabbed Morrissey - he's now a pretty legit 1st (or at a minimum 2nd pairing) defenseman.

There's also the lottery. I doubt lightning will strike twice, but if it does I'll laugh my ass off, and look back at the wins in the 7 game streak even more fondly.

i think it's smarter to draft higher.. especially when we still need pieces to contend. drafting is more important than it has ever been, 2 spots is a lot especially considering there is such a steep drop off after the top 10

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
There isn't tho. It's a myth. This draft is decent. It's just a crap shoot of sorts. The Jets will get a good player. Question is who... this is a draft where if u could see teams draft boards 1 and 2 might be similar but 3 to probably 30 are all over the place.

It's a cap shoot.

Weird things happen. Teams do weird things on draft day. Off the board picks. There will be a faller or 2 or 3 and the Jets will have a choice between a couple very good players. Might see a run on centers in the first few picks depending on who wins the lottery spots

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
There isn't tho. It's a myth. This draft is decent. It's just a cap shoot of sorts. The Jets will get a good player. Question is who... this is a draft where if u could see teams draft boards 1 and 2 might be similar but 3 to probably 30 are all over the place.

I'm talking historically, not just this draft. its not a myth at all, after the top 10 the chances of getting a player that sticks in the NHL goes way down.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
i think it's smarter to draft higher.. especially when we still need pieces to contend. drafting is more important than it has ever been, 2 spots is a lot especially considering there is such a steep drop off after the top 10

It's not smarter, it's better. In order to be better, we have to watch crap hockey. I'd rather take my chances with whatever pick we end up with. There's a steep drop off after the first 3-4 selections this draft, IMO, so I don't get the "after the top ten" portion of your post unless you're talking historically.

I'd also argue that we have enough pieces to contend - a couple of small trades, and this is a team that can make some noise.

I'm hoping that we fill up the defensive prospect cupboards this year, but other than that: I'm not to concerned, personally.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm talking historically, not just this draft. its not a myth at all, after the top 10 the chances of getting a player that sticks in the NHL goes way down.

Sure but Oh well. Jets have had 4 picks outside the top 10...2 look legit... Morrissey Connor... 1 looks promising in Roslovic... 1 is who knows in Stanley....

I dunno... lots of pretty darn good players were definitely taken in the late first. Jets will pick what? 11th 12th is? A good player will be there

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James

Give it a rest. 2 draft slots in this draft is next to meaningless.
Morrisey was drafted at #13, do you consider him garbage. Regardless of who we draft this year they won't be in the lineup for at least 2 years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree with this completely. I don't really see much difference between 10th and 12th, especially this season when draft boards are going to be all over the map. The Jets will have an opportunity to draft a very good young prospect, probably either on D or at C. Meanwhile, the fans got to see another fun game, Connor with a great showing in a win, team and fans going out on a high. Small price to pay, and better than wilting. This team has the ingredients to win, and I'm glad they showed it a bit before the season was over.

Targets at #12?

Glass
Heiskanen
Valimaki
Makar
Pettersson
Necas

Foote
Hague

Or maybe the Jets really like a "riser" or another sleeper (like Scheifele or Morrissey).

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hoping we draft Valimaki!

No draft eligible has impressed me more than him this season. Looks like he'd be a sick fit on the Jets.

Plan B: Heiskanen.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Think our desperate need for LHD may overemphasize the importance of Morrissey > Domi / Wennberg. I'd still take Morrissey now though as he could net us a winger like that handily in a trade if we needed it.

This year - even if we had finished at 10 or 11, a lot of what we get will depend on those drafting before us. As it stands we're likely a lock for 12th. There may be a run for C but I think this will be a year a lot of the dmen go early.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Did you have the same opinion of Fabbro and Jost last season?

Not quite but I was a little leery. We at least had the U18 tournament with them. We don't even have that with Makar. I also think the BCHL is slightly stronger than AJHL. Not much but a bit.

Jost has done very well since. Fabbro has been OK, not great. Still much rather have him than Stanley though. :laugh: Would have taken that swap in a heartbeat at the time too.

Neither stats not eye-test can accurately measure him when he is playing against that weak competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad