NHL 19: Wish List

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Frostbite engine seems logical next step. Also I hope that PRO/XOX versions will be enhanced.

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Franchise mode needs scouting rebuilt. As a GM, you should be hiring scouts and placing them around the globe. Of course scouting has a budget and you can only have so many scouts. Do good, make money and your owner will increase or allow you to allocate more funds to scouting. Then you can go from 10 scouts to 15 or 20 scouts. You should be able to make offers to hire other teams scouts or look around the globe for the best unknown scouts. You should be able to invest in scouts (training) so you can develop those crazy good talented ones that pull gems out of the 7th round.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I agree with this. In particular, I loved the whole progression angle. I mean, I get why they changed it as it makes the game much more accessible to play for first-time players or players just starting out, but it was an awesome feature to be able to re-allocate your stats.

Even if you aren't going to reward players with progression though, they could at least give you more freedom to allocate your attributes (with a cap put on of course).

Taking out the progression angle is probably the single best thing EA did since introducing the skill-stick. I don't mind bringing back attribute allocation, but don't bring back the dumb grinding. It's not just for first-time players, but for players who don't have the time and just want to pick-up-and-play EASHL. I don't have NHL 18, but I don't think I played 350+ games since NHL 13.
This isn't directed at you, but it's funny how some people complain about "ice-tilt" arguing that the game should be based on skill, but at the same time like the progression mode. The game shouldn't benefit the player who just plays more.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
My wishlist/rant
Players need to stop bumping into the boards like f***ing idiots whenever they grab the puck near the boards..I’ve never seen this shit happen in real life
Having a 1st line/pairing potential option and players not continuing to develop all the f***ing time. Elite players for me always go up to around 90 which is annoying, there has to be something in between top 6 forward and elite. They need to slow down eventually and after a bad year their stats should go up. In my current gm mode (and many others this happens) Andrew Shaw ends up as the Habs 1C in the first year, since he plays with Patches and Drouin he got around 60 points, went up to an 85 and continued to pot insane numbers for Andrew Shaw. They need to fix that badly.
Slap shots are OP as shit for CPU and no matter how much I lower slapshot accuracy they can still pick top cheese from the point no matter who the defenseman. That rarely ever happens in real life and that’s the main way CPU scores on me.
That stupid crouching thing CPU goalies do to see the puck leaving the top half wide open needs to go as well, no goalie does that in real life either.
Passing is terrible (I use sliders though)
Again, 1st line/1st pairing would be beautiful
Players should bust more often, usually a few years in I’ll have a ton of prospects waiting to make the jump but I have no room on my roster so I trade them for draft picks and repeat
Potentials should change more often as well
Goalies are too easy to score on
McDavid ended up with 99 offensive awareness in one GM mode and because he’s set at playmaker he scores less points. 10 years in and he hadn’t cracked 70 points..
Players overalls shouldn’t change if they had a bad year, in real life Sam Bennett would’ve had elite potential, he’s had a couple bad years and pretty much is getting worse and worse, in NHL games he’d keep improving (weird example but I hope you guys get the point) players need to plateau or decline after bad years, keeps the rosters from being overcrowded with 85+ players 10 years in.
The cap improves too high too fast, 10 years in cap space is pretty much not a problem
Player overalls are shit, I spent countless hours editing each and every player and their potential

All in all, NHL 18 is one of the worst NHL games out there, I’m still going to play it though lol

I miss NHL 12-14 ):

Reactions: Deku

278 others

May 26, 2016
Fineland
I want an EASHL mode with 4 skaters and a goalie on each side. because why not? Cant believe it wasnt already in this version, hoping they are just saving it for next year to have something new to introduce. I like 3v3 but its a little bit too open still, seems like 4 skaters could be the ideal number for me. Also I want the players to be able to turn around faster than in 5 seconds.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
They need to stop this push towards "realism" (ie. more frequent, sporadic and unpredictable use of "puck physics"). All that does, especially online, is leave more of the game up to chance... which usually leads to the team with the better stats getting more advantages and better opportunities. Less skill driven, more luck/stat driven, is a bad thing in a competitive multiplayer game.

leafsnat1on

Jan 16, 2014
Toronto
A way to better develop prospects in Franchise Mode. I have so many Medium Elite prospects that turn to nothing. Also, maybe a chance to give a Low-High Top 6 ice time to develop to a Franchise player (ex: top line minutes, plays all areas and uses the extra ice time as growth).

Reactions: DXStriker

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
LTIR why is it not in there? why can't I put Horton on LTIR?

NMC, I know if you do the expansion draft they are in there because I have seen that Rinne has one but If I try to trade for a guy with a NMC or NTC I want them to be able to waive or not waive that clause to come to my team.

I want to be able to hire and fire coaches NBA 2k15 has this why doesn't NHL 18?

speaking of NBA 2k15 in that game you can get enough points as GM of your team to eventually buy the team and become the owner why can't we have that in NHL 18?

as for Be a pro again NBA2k15 has a storyline with cut scenes if a game that is 3 years old is capable of having a storyline in career mode then why can't NHL 18?

also and I have wanted this for years, why can't we have coaches corner? are you tellin me that EA does not have enough oney to bring in Ron and Don to do voice overs? are you serious? I don't buy it.

there are so many things I want, the game does get better and better every year but there are so many things I want they are so far away from the perfect game

Reactions: Nickmo82

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
FIFA and Madden have gotten a ton of mileage for their single player story-driven modes, The Journey and Longshot, respectively.

It's time NHL had an entry like that - follow a kid through junior, making his way to the NHL draft, trying to get drafted, etc..

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Taking out the progression angle is probably the single best thing EA did since introducing the skill-stick. I don't mind bringing back attribute allocation, but don't bring back the dumb grinding. It's not just for first-time players, but for players who don't have the time and just want to pick-up-and-play EASHL. I don't have NHL 18, but I don't think I played 350+ games since NHL 13.
This isn't directed at you, but it's funny how some people complain about "ice-tilt" arguing that the game should be based on skill, but at the same time like the progression mode. The game shouldn't benefit the player who just plays more.

The idea is this.

You create your EASHL player and there are custom builds you can pick from, same as now, dangler, sniper, playmaker, etc.

But you have a set amount of points to allocate to your character as you see fit, whether you've played 150 games or its your first game.

So if I have a sniper build and want to beef up my hands and speed, at the risk of my defensive skills, I can do so.

That way, I can have some say in making my guy a bit different from everyone else who's picked a Sniper template. Points amount is the same, you allocate how you desire.

Reactions: 18Hossa

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Either take the ECHL out of the game, or make it and all of it's players actually accessable during franchise mode. The amount of decent prospects they throw in there that are completely untouchable is ridiculous. You release a new game every year. Quit being so goddamn lazy as to make your customers have to go through every single roster and organize it accordingly.

Goddamn my eyes have been opened to the sad state that is EA NHL.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
It would be a colossal failure if they don't use the Frostbite engine. FIFA and Madden have both had it for at least 2 years I believe.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It would be a colossal failure if they don't use the Frostbite engine. FIFA and Madden have both had it for at least 2 years I believe.

FiFa got in for FIFA 17. Madden just got it this year. NHL is expected to get it next year, but after the success NBA Live got this year, they may hop the line.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think a more in depth creation system would be a good way to get around rights issues.
Create Leagues, Teams and players and be able to share created files. That way a few people could get together and create NCAA, USHL and other leagues and you just download them and off you go. All EA has to do is put the capacity into the game and the gamers will take care of the rest.

Reactions: FeelTheFlow

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
AI, graphics, gameplay, and a sim engine that are up to 2019 standards. Feels like the game is a decade behind at this point.

Honestly, I still feel NHL 14/15/Legacy on previous gen play better, which is sad given that's the NHL 13 engine that was heavily criticized at the time.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
1) EA needs to quit focusing on HUT and build a real game. This money grabbing crap has to stop. EA needs to put out a legit product or lose the NHL license!

2) Get rid of Arena Operations in franchise mode...It's pointless

3) Get rid of Morale in franchise mode - Again, it's useless.

4) Adjust the scouting for franchise mode. It's not consistent. I send a scout somewhere for 3 weeks and get the same result as sending a scout to the same place for 6 weeks.

5) EA has to spend an appropriate amount of time on the rosters. I like their new ratings system but assigning legitimate potentials and getting positions correct is a must. They also need to get rid of the labels. Make overalls actually mean something. Maybe I'm missing a slider setting but far too often I've seen 82 overall players produce at a higher level than a 90 + overall player.

6) Add Historic Teams and Players - In NBA 2K, you can input historic teams into a franchise mode or add legends to teams for franchise mode.

7) File Sharing - Just like in NBA 2K, let the users create rosters, uniforms or whatever.

8) Go back in time to start your NHL franchise (1970 or later). I would personally love to start a franchise in 90's and change history for the next 25 years. EA would also need to incorporate legitimate draft classes starting from 1970. This most definitely wouldn't be available for NHL 19 but it could exist for NHL 20.

9) Fix the AI in EASHL. The inconsistency is abysmal. The AI is rarely in the right position, especially on defense.

I'm sure there are a ton of other things that can be added. It is just a video game and it's not going to be perfect or 100% realistic but EA can still give us a better product.

Reactions: tacogeoff

278 others

May 26, 2016
Fineland
-Idle time limit for EASHL matchmaking. Too often people put the game search on and then go take a shit or something.
-Option to search for 5v5 game with AI goalies.
-Why not just have 3 on 2 powerplay instead of penalty shot for every foul in the 3v3 mode.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
A way to better develop prospects in Franchise Mode. I have so many Medium Elite prospects that turn to nothing. Also, maybe a chance to give a Low-High Top 6 ice time to develop to a Franchise player (ex: top line minutes, plays all areas and uses the extra ice time as growth).
I think this makes it better because there's no guarantee that the potentially elite player pans out like in real life.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I've bought every version since the one in my Avatar (that's NHL 93 on Sega for you youngins'... first in the franchise).

I'd been screaming for "the right stick is the hockey stick" since 2006 and they finally (sorta) did it, in a very EA way (imperfect of course). I mean, in real life I don't have to hold down a shift-key (R1) to use my real hockey stick when I'm on defense... why should I in EA? Anyway...

I find myself willing to FINALLY not buy the game next year. The promised changes to gameplay have left me unimpressed (as usual) and the ice-tilt in Be a GM is worse than ever. The number of BS goals in the last minute of a period is just silly... (both for and against me). I just can't tolerate it any more. If they want to change how the last minute of a period feels, I get it... but focus on ONLY aggression, since that's more realistic, rather than simultaneously making goalies sieves, 5'9 forwards un-checkable, uncontrolled D-men inexplicably wandering away from perfect positioning and 90% of any mistake you do ends up in the back of your net... or 75% of the floater shots you take end up going in.

It's comical and frustrating.

So:
1) No ice tilt
2) Frostbite, because I'm hopeful it will breath life into the stale gameplay
3) The RS is the stick, no need for a shift button (R1) for the basic functionality
4) There are still annoying, thoughtless, inconsistencies in the menu navigation. Take a lesson from Apple or every modern OS since Nokia phones, the "forward" is always forward and the "menu/back" is always menu/back... on EVERY SCREEN.

To me the whole series just feels like years of poor quality control finding its way into code and never being corrected. This leads to a generally devolving product.
This x10000
My wishlist/rant
Players need to stop bumping into the boards like ****ing idiots whenever they grab the puck near the boards..I’ve never seen this **** happen in real life
Having a 1st line/pairing potential option and players not continuing to develop all the ****ing time. Elite players for me always go up to around 90 which is annoying, there has to be something in between top 6 forward and elite. They need to slow down eventually and after a bad year their stats should go up. In my current gm mode (and many others this happens) Andrew Shaw ends up as the Habs 1C in the first year, since he plays with Patches and Drouin he got around 60 points, went up to an 85 and continued to pot insane numbers for Andrew Shaw. They need to fix that badly.
Slap shots are OP as **** for CPU and no matter how much I lower slapshot accuracy they can still pick top cheese from the point no matter who the defenseman. That rarely ever happens in real life and that’s the main way CPU scores on me.
That stupid crouching thing CPU goalies do to see the puck leaving the top half wide open needs to go as well, no goalie does that in real life either.
Passing is terrible (I use sliders though)
Again, 1st line/1st pairing would be beautiful
Players should bust more often, usually a few years in I’ll have a ton of prospects waiting to make the jump but I have no room on my roster so I trade them for draft picks and repeat
Potentials should change more often as well
Goalies are too easy to score on
McDavid ended up with 99 offensive awareness in one GM mode and because he’s set at playmaker he scores less points. 10 years in and he hadn’t cracked 70 points..
Players overalls shouldn’t change if they had a bad year, in real life Sam Bennett would’ve had elite potential, he’s had a couple bad years and pretty much is getting worse and worse, in NHL games he’d keep improving (weird example but I hope you guys get the point) players need to plateau or decline after bad years, keeps the rosters from being overcrowded with 85+ players 10 years in.
The cap improves too high too fast, 10 years in cap space is pretty much not a problem
Player overalls are ****, I spent countless hours editing each and every player and their potential

All in all, NHL 18 is one of the worst NHL games out there, I’m still going to play it though lol

I miss NHL 12-14 ):
this again
Also CPU seems to score every goal from a point slapper or low blocker side. Goals on defelections and in scrams in front of the net rarely happen even though that's how most goals are scored nowadays. Like someone else said, puck physics need to be more realtistic and it should jump around more and it also should be easier to take the puck from a player doing 20 dekes in front of you. Playing defense in this game is hell against CPU and CPU defense in general is pretty shit, the offense is good but that's only because low blocker is cheese in this game. So much wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad