**NHL 16 Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I actually preferred when the best players were 99. Why Ovechkin and Crosby aren't 99s when they're clearly the best players in the WORLD is beyond me. They used to do it, Madden has their stars at 99, why not NHL?

Anyways, I'm looking at the Deluxe Edition and it says if you pre order you get 40 Gold HUT packs. What does the deluxe edition offer if you don't pre order the game?

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I actually preferred when the best players were 99. Why Ovechkin and Crosby aren't 99s when they're clearly the best players in the WORLD is beyond me. They used to do it, Madden has their stars at 99, why not NHL?

Anyways, I'm looking at the Deluxe Edition and it says if you pre order you get 40 Gold HUT packs. What does the deluxe edition offer if you don't pre order the game?

I prefer the top level being the way it is. Crosby is the best around today, but not the best of all time. This allows there to potentially be another Gretzky popping up if a prospect makes their way to 99 and dominates Crosby.

I do though for sure think that the range of NHL players should be 70-95 (or even 60-65 as the bottom) instead of 80-95. FIFA does this perfectly where even Messi is a modest 93, and lots of the Premier league teams have players in the low 70s on their starting squad, with 60s players being on some of the Premier team's rotation squad.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

I kind of miss the ruthlessness of the Genesis era ratings where lower level players could be in the 30s and 40s. I think it's more insulting that a player like Tanner Glass is within 25 OVR points of Crosby than it is that Crosby is a few points shy of 99. Not to mention that even top players in the other leagues will be rated below Glass when almost all of them are likely better.

I agree that they're a bit too stingy with some of the top players, but they're also way too charitable with the chaff. Also artificially harsh with non-NHL players.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not to get too off topic, but Rask's save percentage is inflated because of how liberal the Boston shot counter is. His home/away save percentage splits are greater than one would expect from simple home ice advantage:

14-15: .931 / .914
13-14: .941 / .916
12-13: .932 / .924
11-12: .940 / .908

Apparently Boston's stats guy counts icings as shots? :sarcasm:

ProfessorMcFatty

I agree that the low end of ratings should be lower. It seems ridiculous to have 4th line grinders only a few points behind 2nd line players.

I've also never liked the invisible logic behind the rating system. If a player has a 78 as their highest skill, why is it still possible to be a 79 overall? How does that work?

I would also like EA to give a quick explanation of what each attribute effects. Most are obvious, but how does something like 'Poise' effect a player in the game?

ProfessorMcFatty

Looks like an awful lot of goalies on that list.

I could comment on a few players, but Ovechkin's rating came as an interesting surprise. He was a full 10 goals ahead of the 2nd best scorer, yet his rating doesn't really separate him from the other elite players by much at all.

It also seems funny that no one reaches a 97+ in any attributes. Pretty sure that Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, etc, have to scale up there in at least one attribute, even compared to any player historically.

ludaslol

May 9, 2013
Is it only me or shouldn't OEL be top 10 of the defenseman? Do you rate Josi higher than him?

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Is it only me or shouldn't OEL be top 10 of the defenseman? Do you rate Josi higher than him?

Well I don't really care about the overall number but looking at OEL's offensive ratings I'd pick him over Josi in my GM Mode any day. 94 for passing and oaw what a beast

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Yeah, exactly. Gotta say that making him better defensively than Petro was the most easily avoidable mistake they made.

Another thing I noticed. Not sure how that happens.

I don't like to bash EA too hard but honestly, I also noticed those two things when I skimmed through the list for the first time.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Malkin is maybe a tad low but overall I can't really complain about the Penguins ratings.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not sure how Crosby's def awareness and stick checking are as good or better than Datsyuk's. I hate the rating system. Defensive scores have so much impact on the overall, regardless of the type of player a guy is, that all these superstars end up with inflated defensive stats to get their overall number to look right. Meanwhile, Kesler is somehow in the top 50 solely because his defensive stats are great, even though he's completely unremarkable on the offensive side of things.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Remember when only a handful of players were rated above 90 overall? Now there's over 40+ players who are 90 or higher.

And that is why you can hardly find any differentiation between most checkers and top line players when playing these games.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Some of these are horrible. My god... so. much. editing.

The fact that there are so many 90 overall players is dumb. I can only imagine what bottom-6 players are ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad