** NHL 15 Thread ** Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I need to see more, but it SEEMS promising. The AI, stat allocation/explanation and glitch goals will determine if they really did try. And yes, I'm probably getting this for the PS4 and PS3... considering not everyone will have a PS4 for my club :/.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

The devs are also overhauling the puck physics from the ground up. To help, they hired a former scientist who worked on the Hadron Collider in Geneva, where they fire particles together at mach speed and create black holes.

Ummm sure :laugh:. Interesting they went that far.

One touch dekes are returning, but EA is introducing new dekes you can perform while striding. Pulling the left and right sticks to the left and right will give you a quick stride so you can get around a guy
Users have been promised improved A.I. before, most notable with NHL 12's Anticipation A.I. and NHL 13's Hockey I.Q. EA is promising more improvements with Vision A.I. "With the power of the new consoles, it allows us to access more of what was going on," Ramjagsingh says. "In gen three it was more of a linear thought process and maybe thinking one step ahead. For us this year we have all 10 players on the ice trying to look one, two, three seconds ahead, understand how the play is developing, and then move realistic to the way the play is coming together." One example EA shared is when a puck is loose in the corner. "The A.I. player will take note when there's not much pressure coming in so he knows that he can go pick the puck up, keep his speed in stride, initiate the breakout himself, and then start looking for a pass. Whereas in gen-three, the guy would go get the puck, know that when he gets the puck he wants to make a pass, and then assess the pass he wants to make immediately."

Board play isn't being overhauled, but EA still plans to tune it to dial back suction so players can't get pinned to the boards from behind when they have a step on the other player. EA also thinks the new A.I. behavior should result in better puck support around the scrums.

^So you basically can't kill a guy hugging the boards still? ****ing seriously?

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
All the new features sound extremely promising! Now the only question is whether the way EA implements them is good or not.

Title sounds like it has potential and In really pumped!

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
This is definitely more promising than previous years. I'm excited. Not expecting everything to be fantastic, but I'm excited.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Blech, they seriously won't overhaul board play?

How can you talk about physics being completely dynamic when you allow for canned animations on the boards and in front of the net?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The fact that they are changing the presentation with new commentary has me pumped.

Guess I am getting a PS4/XboxOne :laugh:

Blech, they seriously won't overhaul board play?

How can you talk about physics being completely dynamic when you allow for canned animations on the boards and in front of the net?

From what I understand, they are touching them up to fix these issues. They just aren't building it all from the ground up again.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I love the new commentary but the new crowd and arena has me pumped.

Hope they make big changes to GM mode.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What we're seeing now is bounces in the game that we've never seen before.

Oh, we saw those last year too.

I just hope Be a GM is overhauled. So many players seem to play it (myself included, that's all I play) but EA seems to have been completely neglecting it and concentrating on ******** arcade modes for casual gamers like the 94 Anniversary Mode.

Domrie

go crazy [PS4]
Jun 18, 2012
I may also need to get the PS4 for this. Looks really good.

On a side note, how does Fifa 14 compare on the PS3 and PS4 other than graphics? Is it toned down significantly?

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011

"Given the chance to start from scratch with new hardware, EA is taking a new approach to recording commentary. "No longer do we put a script in front of talent and say 'okay, read,'" Ramjagsingh says. "What you see with that is you try to turn the commentators into actors, and they don't sound like themselves. What we've done with all the content you're going to hear in the game this year, aside from some very specific things with player names, we just give them a situation. We did 30,000 lines of giving the situation: 'Daniel Sedin scores a goal top shelf in the last two minutes of the game. Give me 10 samples of that.' They pause for two seconds, think about what they would say, and they rattle it off. Doc and Eddie have worked together so long they just know how to play off each other, and the stories that they can tell that we've incorporated into the game is fantastic."
Expect more varying degrees of intensity with the commentary as well. "We've been able to add more levels of intensity than we've ever had in the game," Ramjagsingh says. "In the past we've had two and a half, three different intensities for commentators. Now we have almost seven different levels of intensity that Doc and Eddie can go to."

Along with the top NBC broadcasting team, EA is incorporating the full suite of NBC Sports presentation elements, including polished stat and score overlays, city flyovers, and shots of the arena.

NHL 15 introduces something never seen before in a sports game - live video of commentators before each game. To avoid the unpleasantness that virtual avatars commentators create in terms of lip synching, EA decided to record Doc and Eddie on a green screen, then place them in the broadcast booths of the arenas.

:handclap: That's fantastic.

The rest of the stuff like "new physics" and "improved AI" are things they say every year. It's meaningless until you actually try it.

Hopefully they improve BaGM, especially scouting and the draft(MAKE IT LIKE MADDEN). That will be a big selling point.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
"NHL 15 introduces something never seen before in a sports game - live video of commentators before each game. To avoid the unpleasantness that virtual avatars commentators create in terms of lip synching, EA decided to record Doc and Eddie on a green screen, then place them in the broadcast booths of the arenas."

Not sure how this is going to work out. Could look really good, really out of place, or just straight up bad.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The presentation overhaul has me so excited. Seems really awesome.

Love that they commentary isn't scripted. It's what ruined it and made it unbearable.

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
Sorry if this has been asked already, will it be out on 360's and PS3's? I skimmed through the article so maybe I missed it... The game looks amazing! I'm very excited about this year

Kyle Doobas*

Overhauled presentation is exciting, but it won't amount to much if the gameplay is still clunky and awkward, with mind-bogglingly terrible AI and the same old problems with every game mode.

Still pretty intriguing, but I'mma hold out for more info/trailers/reviews/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad