** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I just want them to do more with legends. 13 was a lame group of legends, all in all. I just wish they'd add more legend teams because I'd just run a season of legend teams against legend teams. At the very least they should make a legend team that actually features 12 offensive legends, 6 defensive legends, and 2 goaltending legends.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I just want them to do more with legends. 13 was a lame group of legends, all in all. I just wish they'd add more legend teams because I'd just run a season of legend teams against legend teams. At the very least they should make a legend team that actually features 12 offensive legends, 6 defensive legends, and 2 goaltending legends.
I agree there, would be nice if the didn't half ass it.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

Agreed - Mike Richards is on one of the Legends teams.

Mike Richards, who has 425 points in 575 games, is on a Legends team.

Why the hell would they put him, instead of someone like Teemu Selanne or Daniel Alfredsson?

They didn't even try.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You enjoyed EA's NHL games from 2003 through 2006 when they were pieces of ****? If so, wow... Those disasters caused EA to rethink their strategy and wipe the slate clean after 2K far surpassed them in delivering a high quality hockey game. EA started to turn the corner when they fired Dave Warfield and replaced him with Dave Littman.

So shame on us for having an opinion and for not being blind sheep who accepts whatever crap is fed to us.
Yep I did because during those years I was a kid who still didn't take this **** too seriously.

Although back then I played 2K too, so it didn't matter much.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Agreed - Mike Richards is on one of the Legends teams.

Mike Richards, who has 425 points in 575 games, is on a Legends team.

Why the hell would they put him, instead of someone like Teemu Selanne or Daniel Alfredsson?

They didn't even try.

And this is one of the easiest things they could add in. ALL it is, is adding new faces, names to players. It's just creating players. Getting the announcers to record a few soundbytes and they're done. I can't believe on a year where their big sell was legends, they half-assed it.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I wish 2K would pick up hockey again....If they could do to NHL games what they're doing to NBA games, wow. Hockey heaven.

I'm sick of EA half assing their product.

PookDo

Sep 7, 2008
I tried playing NHl 12 for a while yesterday. was cool in the fact that I didnt give up the puck so easily but moving was weird because I'm used to the skating on NHL 13

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
EA needs someone to compete with them, this franchise keeps getting worse.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's a matter of time till 2K makes a comeback, some one can run with them.

NBA2K murdered NBALive...

Beating EA isn't impossible.

Unfortunately, 2K Sports seems to be steering away from making other sports titled as they've reduced their library of sports games and have solely focused on NBA. That's their bread and butter as EA laid a big egg with the NBA Live series and 2K Sports has a stranglehold on the basketball gaming market.

The sad reality is that there are tons of people who are blindly loyal to the brand and will continue to purchase whatever EA Sports releases. I think what really set the NHL 2K series back by years was when they rushed to make a direct port of NHL 2K6 for the XBOX 360. It was the exact same game as the XBOX and PS2 versions with HD graphics and that's it.

Then the next year they hardly made any changes and their big feature for 2K7 was the terrible "Cinemotion" presentation. That really turned off and alienated the sim hockey gaming audience and EA caught everyone's attention when they took a year off and released NHL 07 with the skill stick. After that year 2K had to play catch up and fell way behind EA in terms of quality and slowly fizzled out of making hockey games due to EA's dominance in the marketplace.

I'm pretty sure that a good majority of the people who worked on their NHL series are sadly no longer with the company. I wouldn't hold my breath to see another NHL game released unless some other company decides to be ambitious and attempts to compete with EA in sports gaming. Back in the day we had plenty of options besides EA, Sega Sports (that eventually became 2K Sports) with the NHL 2K series, Midway (NHL Hitz series), Radical Entertainment with the NHL Power Play and NHL Championship 2000 games, 989 Sports with the NHL games on PSX consoles, NHL Breakaway by Acclaim. They all had a unique experience to offer. Now we only have one option.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I probably won't even purchase this game unless Live the Life is good. Which I'll honestly be surprised if it is. Cannot believe they haven't released anything new on it yet. The demo is supposed to come out in what, a couple weeks from now? And the whole game in just over a month. I expect it to be half-assed.

Was reading the wiki entry and saw this;

No way that can be true?

"IIHF Updates" and "Internet Downloads" have been removed from the article, so those are basically confirmed as fake I guess.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not really. Its likely just recently hit the top 10 list again cause people are getting pumped for the new one.

There was also the Steam sale that had the game available for peanuts, which is likely what drove up sales for GTA IV. There's a huge modding community for it on the PC, so so I could see why there is still appeal in it.

Oh how I yearn for seeing a return of sports games on PC just to see what mods could do with a modern day version of NHL...

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I probably won't even purchase this game unless Live the Life is good. Which I'll honestly be surprised if it is. Cannot believe they haven't released anything new on it yet. The demo is supposed to come out in what, a couple weeks from now? And the whole game in just over a month. I expect it to be half-assed.

"IIHF Updates" and "Internet Downloads" have been removed from the article, so those are basically confirmed as fake I guess.

They almost never release any information other than about the actual gameplay. Step off the ledge there bud.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Unfortunately, 2K Sports seems to be steering away from making other sports titled as they've reduced their library of sports games and have solely focused on NBA. That's their bread and butter as EA laid a big egg with the NBA Live series and 2K Sports has a stranglehold on the basketball gaming market.

The sad reality is that there are tons of people who are blindly loyal to the brand and will continue to purchase whatever EA Sports releases. I think what really set the NHL 2K series back by years was when they rushed to make a direct port of NHL 2K6 for the XBOX 360. It was the exact same game as the XBOX and PS2 versions with HD graphics and that's it.

Then the next year they hardly made any changes and their big feature for 2K7 was the terrible "Cinemotion" presentation. That really turned off and alienated the sim hockey gaming audience and EA caught everyone's attention when they took a year off and released NHL 07 with the skill stick. After that year 2K had to play catch up and fell way behind EA in terms of quality and slowly fizzled out of making hockey games due to EA's dominance in the marketplace.

I'm pretty sure that a good majority of the people who worked on their NHL series are sadly no longer with the company. I wouldn't hold my breath to see another NHL game released unless some other company decides to be ambitious and attempts to compete with EA in sports gaming. Back in the day we had plenty of options besides EA, Sega Sports (that eventually became 2K Sports) with the NHL 2K series, Midway (NHL Hitz series), Radical Entertainment with the NHL Power Play and NHL Championship 2000 games, 989 Sports with the NHL games on PSX consoles, NHL Breakaway by Acclaim. They all had a unique experience to offer. Now we only have one option.

Competition isn't a bad thing. That's what kept everyone on their toes.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
They almost never release any information other than about the actual gameplay. Step off the ledge there bud.

I'm not on the ledge, and I'm not your bud.

I'm just surprised they haven't even said anything about it since it was first announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad