** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob8hockey*

This is a list of where NHL 13 ranks among the top played Xbox Live games for the past couple weeks.

July 15th - Unranked
June 17th - 17th
May 27th - 14th
April 22nd - 14th
April 8th - 14th
April 1st - 15th
March 4th - 17th
February 18th - 16th
February 4th - 15th

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/26/live-activity-for-week-of-june-17/

That is actually quite solid for a game that is suppose to be an unpopular game and to a very limited market while this list includes everyone game.

What I am saying is that we NHL game fans deserve better. Why don't we get the same level of development and the ability to be on next gen consoles unlike the other sports games? The only 1 that always is ahead is Fifa 13, besides that NBA and Madden have all been flipping spots.

US NHL FANS ARE LOYAL WE REALLY SHOULD GET A BETTER QUALITY PRODUCT

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
This is a list of where NHL 13 ranks among the top played Xbox Live games for the past couple weeks.

July 15th - Unranked
June 17th - 17th
May 27th - 14th
April 22nd - 14th
April 8th - 14th
April 1st - 15th
March 4th - 17th
February 18th - 16th
February 4th - 15th

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/26/live-activity-for-week-of-june-17/

That is actually quite solid for a game that is suppose to be an unpopular game and to a very limited market while this list includes everyone game.

What I am saying is that we NHL game fans deserve better. Why don't we get the same level of development and the ability to be on next gen consoles unlike the other sports games? The only 1 that always is ahead is Fifa 13, besides that NBA and Madden have all been flipping spots.

US NHL FANS ARE LOYAL WE REALLY SHOULD GET A BETTER QUALITY PRODUCT

Because of the annual release dates of their games, the date of the season starting, and the fanbase size. Making NHL14 available for both current gen and next gen consoles would be a loss of time and money because they do not feel they would make up the financial loss of making the game available for both generations of consoles.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Was reading the wiki entry and saw this;

Live the Life Mode – The evolution of the Be a Pro Career Mode, now you can truly Live the Life of an NHL player. On or off the ice, every decision you make shapes your legacy as an athlete. Interact with teammates outside of the rink. Take part in media interviews. Each choice you make will affect your relationship with fans, teammates and management, influencing your skills and progression.

HUT & EASHL Online Seasons – NHL 14 adds the best-in-class promotion and relegation system in the sports category to the Hockey Ultimate Team & EA SPORTS Hockey League modes. Win games and advance to the next division to face tougher competition, fall short and see your team bumped down. Teams will be able to track their progress across multiple seasons.

NHL 94 Anniversary Mode showcases its hockey video gaming roots through a retro presentation including blue ice, classic star-shaped player indicators, 16-bit arena powerbars, no adboards, and throwback organ music. The mode features old-school NHL '94*-style gameplay that uses classic button controls to deliver big hits, real fights, dirty dangles, and sicksnipes.

IIHF Updates allows online players to receive optional updates for the World Junior rosters, the World Championship updates and will even keep up to track with the KHL which is also being introduced to this year's edition.

Internet Downloads Are you a junior hockey player? With proper internet connection, you can download your team onto NHL 14, or even your entire league. Logos, Jerseys and even overalls will be downloaded to your hard drive.

No way that can be true?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's hilarious how much you guys ***** and nitpick about a video game. I enjoy all the NHL games that come out pretty much. It will never be perfect because it's not real life. But the product is pretty damn good. I'm glad I'm not a grumpy nerd that takes this stuff too seriously.

Green Blob*

It's hilarious how much you guys ***** and nitpick about a video game. I enjoy all the NHL games that come out pretty much. It will never be perfect because it's not real life. But the product is pretty damn good. I'm glad I'm not a grumpy nerd that takes this stuff too seriously.
How DARE you not take a video game like it is real life.

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011

You seem grumpy that other people take it seriously, which is hilarious.

I have enjoyed the game they have put out the last few years but there are definitely things to be improved.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

I like the game too. As crazy as that sounds I like it and any other enhancements made will be a bonus.

Jacob8hockey*

I haven't been frustrated with any of the games up until 13/14. I now realise what everyone is talking about. I literally have been able to do the same glitch goal since NHL 10. Its about time they fix all the bugs in the game. And please, if you aren't going to put time into adding useful features to the game instead of adding in old ones at least update the fans. The Leafs still have the exact sticks that aren't even wearing the current Leaf jerseys! It is still the ones from back in like 2010!

There is no excuse for stuff like that; that is just pathetic game development.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

You enjoyed EA's NHL games from 2003 through 2006 when they were pieces of ****? If so, wow... Those disasters caused EA to rethink their strategy and wipe the slate clean after 2K far surpassed them in delivering a high quality hockey game. EA started to turn the corner when they fired Dave Warfield and replaced him with Dave Littman.

So shame on us for having an opinion and for not being blind sheep who accepts whatever crap is fed to us.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I haven't been frustrated with any of the games up until 13/14. I now realise what everyone is talking about. I literally have been able to do the same glitch goal since NHL 10. Its about time they fix all the bugs in the game. And please, if you aren't going to put time into adding useful features to the game instead of adding in old ones at least update the fans. The Leafs still have the exact sticks that aren't even wearing the current Leaf jerseys! It is still the ones from back in like 2010!

There is no excuse for stuff like that; that is just pathetic game development.

I think it's okay to leave old jerseys in the crowd, since people still wear them in real life. But they really should put new jerseys on the fans - it bugs me how for Ottawa, no one in the crowd wears our heritage jersey which was introduced in 2011... and it's like the most popular Sens jersey now. And like you said, none of the in-game Leafs fans wear their current jerseys.

Last edited:

Mynameismark*

The fact that fighting is improved makes this game automatically better for Drogo's part.

Jacob8hockey*

I think it's okay to leave old jerseys in the crowd, since people still wear them in real life. But they really should put new jerseys on the fans - it bugs me how for Ottawa, no one in the crowd wears our heritage jersey which was introduced in 2011... and it's like the most popular Sens jersey now. And like you said, none of the in-game Leafs fans wear their current jerseys.

Ya, I agree that some can stay, but when only like 1/3 of the fans are wearing jerseys (accurate for ACC) and none are wearing the current one that bugs me just a bit. Its the small things like that, that should be updated yearly but not be a big feature in the game. They don't have to only add new game modes.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
All I ask from EA this year's NHL 14 is don't have a glitched out/buggy product that requires a massive patch come late October to make the game playable. No game I have ever played on PS3 has locked up or had more problems then NHL 13, especially pre-patch. This kills the interest in the game, and as most of my friends who play are casual fans of the game, they all get fed up with all the glitches/bugs and stop playing within six weeks of release. I have no hope that this years release will be any better and the NHL gaming community will basically have to QA the game on EAs behalf.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Doubt there will be anything dedicated to be-a-gm. Nearly nothings been changed according to game informer when they went hands on with it.

Not shocking considering the overhaul be-a-pro offline got.

Well that sucks.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
That's what I was afraid of. EA never fails to disappoint.

The chatter here is the slowest I have ever seen it less than two months before a new release. I think EA is finally succeeding in their mission to alienate their base. The market really is ripe for another company to make an effort to compete.

I don't think I'm buying NHL14. Playing 13 and it frustrates the hell out of me. There is no AI whatsoever. Like when your in the offensive zone and you get the puck your teammate will go from the open ice and into a defender. So stupid.

The live the lifestyle intrigues me but it's not enough to buy with no gameplay upgrades. Hot and cold streak sounds cool but not in Be a GM? Even if it was that's not enough. Stupid.

And fighting should have been upgraded years ago. I don't view it as a positive. It just should have been done and it's not a big deal. The fighting in general sucks because you can't ask a guy to go easily since there is no time after the whistle, you can't choose who you want to fight with off the draw and if you do it during play and the guy says no it's a penalty. Dumb.

I'll see how the demo goes and if it is worth it then yeah, I'll be a sucker but if not then oh well. Step up your game EA.

EDIT:
Decided to do some research and saw they are improving the gameplay. Well, still going to wait and see. This is the first year I'm not preordering it.

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Ya, I agree that some can stay, but when only like 1/3 of the fans are wearing jerseys (accurate for ACC) and none are wearing the current one that bugs me just a bit. Its the small things like that, that should be updated yearly but not be a big feature in the game. They don't have to only add new game modes.

Agreed. It's another one of those things that, while I don't know much about game developing, doesn't sound like it would take very long to change.

Last edited:

KuemperTantrum

Aug 11, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The fact that the hot and cold streaks is just for Play Now and Online is ****ing mind boggling. I still can't believe they finally add in what I've wanted back since they took it out, and it's for those 2 modes only and is based on their real life play?

Give me a break. :laugh:

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Well that sucks.

Thanks for the info.

Well it seems I stand corrected... I swear I don't remember seeing any of this when I read the article. :laugh:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/n...013/06/11/50-things-we-know-about-nhl-14.aspx

BE A GM

Even though Be A Pro is getting the biggest makeover of all the game modes, EA Canada claims it has done quite a bit to the GM mode as well.

Both GM Connected and Be A GM add many of the changes implemented in the new collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and NHLPA.

The changes include new salary cap and floor calculations and the ability to trade part of salaries. Since the development team doesn't have many real-world examples of how teams plan to use these new rules, they are working with the NHL directly to understand the parameters of the new guidelines.

You can still buy players out, but EA is still discussing whether or not to include the special buyouts that NHL teams can enact this offseason and next to get under the downsized salary cap.

NHL 14 is not adding the free agent interview period like the real league is implementing.

Last year's questionable trade logic isn't being scrapped, but EA has added new trade difficulty slider that should lessen the restrictiveness of the GMs who last year would only willingly part with prospects and over-the-hill players in the last year of their contracts.

EA is still tuning the trade logic on top of the new slider functionality as well.
Players now improve during the season, though some only grow in the offseason. This adds another layer to the progression system. This should help you see young players' skills progress more steadily instead of waiting for the offseason to know if he's NHL ready.

First-round draft picks are more likely to get skill jumps much earlier in their careers. Like last year, lower-round players won't likely reach the NHL skill level until they are in their mid-to-late 20s.

Skill progression doesn't take into account player performance on the ice or the amount of playing time they receive in the minors as much as EA Canada would like it to in the future. This means you don't have to worry nearly as much about high-round draft picks sitting behind career minor leaguers on your AHL team as you would in real life.

EA isn't doing much to change player regression, so the older players won't have a major drop-off in skills.

The GM firing option is now a league setting. You can turn that off or on at any time.
EA has some plans for tweaking the front-end menu system, but it isn't going into details on that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad